CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Tensile Strength   Next in Forum: Cantilevered Beam Stress Calculation
Close
Close
Close
12 comments

Macbook Pro

11/11/2017 11:21 AM

Hi everybody,

Macbook Pro with Dual-Core Intel i5, 16GB Ram 512GB SSD. I wonder if this laptop can run apps for mechanical engineering correctly, AutoCad, Solid...

Thanks in advance!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1587

Re: Macbook Pro

11/11/2017 11:26 AM
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer

In reply to #1

11/13/2017 2:41 PM

Thanks for your opinion!!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

11/11/2017 12:18 PM

Depending on which i5 dual core you have, your ram is more than adequate. Hard drive is a little small though but easily remedied with an external usb hard drive. I think your MacBook with work ok for those app's.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700

11/11/2017 12:55 PM

That's gold medal stuff from this vantage point. Go for it.

Good Answers: 161

11/11/2017 11:57 PM

If it has an i5 processor, it must be a 13.3 inch model. To me, that's too small a screen.

I've been using Vectorworks (and its predecessors) as my CAD program for machine design on Macs for close to 30 years. I currently have both an upgraded 2012 and a 2015 MacBook Pro with the same RAM and SSD that you specify, but they have the 15" screen and the i7 processor.

Vectorworks can import and export many formats, so I have had no problems working with the other folks in our organization who use PCs with miscellaneous other CAD/CAM programs.

You can, of course, use VMware, Parallels, etc. to run the standard PC programs on the Mac, but you have to buy and install a copy of Windows. I did use Parallels on one of my Mac laptops 6 or 8 years ago, but I used it so infrequently that I haven't bothered to upgrade it for the newer machines. For the few times when I really need a PC, I usually have no problem borrowing one for a few hours or days.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #4

11/12/2017 3:24 PM

Any laptop is easily connected to a large monitor, so that should not be an issue.

In reply to #7

11/12/2017 5:08 PM

True! But I always work directly on my laptop, since I virtually always have it with me, and many of the places where I use it don't have room for a separate monitor of any size. This is definitely the case while flying, which I do frequently.

In addition, I'm short compared to most Americans and always use glasses. Most of the time the glasses are my prescription no-line bifocals, so I'm looking through the lower portion of my glasses, and I rapidly develop neck problems whenever I spend any time using a standard monitor.

In fact those neck problems were what made me get a high end laptop in the first place (a PowerBook Titanium around 2001). Shortly after getting it, and finding work surfaces low enough to use it while looking down at it, my neck problems disappeared. I had actually consulted with a cardiologist, concerning my hands going to sleep, along with other problems, and he is the one who recommended getting the laptop, telling me it was not a heart problem but a neck problem.

I got it, and I've never had second thoughts!

In reply to #8

11/12/2017 5:18 PM

I understand, when I bought laptops for the kids and I, they were 17.3" displays. They connect theirs to 24" monitors, I connect mine to a 32" 2K monitor and still look at it through the bottom of my progressive bifocals. 13" is too small for me also.

In reply to #4

11/13/2017 3:04 PM

13.3 inch screen is not problem for me.Can you explain the difference between i5 and i7 ? I think i5 is ok for me because I am at prep. school right now. Next year I will study at my department. We use solid on 2.grade. I think this computer help me for 2 years. Thanks a lot.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

11/13/2017 3:28 PM

Good Answers: 7

11/12/2017 1:47 PM

You are makingthe wrong question. It will work, yeah, but is it a good solution? I do not think so.

A Mac is not made for engineering. You are not buying the performace, but the life experience. If you need something for work, get appropriate hardware.

In reply to #5

11/12/2017 2:06 PM

I have to disagree! The performance of high end Macs has been shown to be equal or superior to comparable PCs. ...and what is more important than life experience?

Obviously, a large part of the life experience depends on your previous experience, so most people tend to continue with whatever they are accustomed to, and I'm definitely accustomed to Macs. I've heard a lot more about people switching from PCs to Macs than vice-versa for everyday use.

Most, if not all, of my friends who are Mac users who prefer not to run an emulation program, but do need to use a PC, buy or borrow a PC for those times, then return to the Mac for most purposes.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dkwarner (3); Ivanov327950 (1); JPool (4); lyn (1); PWSlack (1); Salih Mert (2)

Previous in Forum: Tensile Strength   Next in Forum: Cantilevered Beam Stress Calculation

Advertisement