CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Macbook Pro   Next in Forum: Nozzle Loads for Injection Package
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Participant

Cantilevered Beam Stress Calculation

11/12/2017 7:34 AM

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if you can help me with a calculation please, I'm a bit out of my comfort zone. I'm trying to use the first formula found here to calculate stress at any given point on a cantilever but I'm a bit confused as to what 'z' is.

It's stated as being the distance from neutral axis to fibre edge, is that the distance from the support to the end of the beam? If so isn't that what v is? Or is it from whatever distance I choose x to be to the end of the beam?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 749

Re: Cantilevered beam stress calculation

11/12/2017 7:49 AM

If the beam is symmetrical, z is the distance from the center of the beam to either the top or bottom.

In reply to #1

11/12/2017 9:05 AM

You sir have just made my day.

Thank you kindly :)

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #2

11/12/2017 11:29 AM

Are you certain that user is male?

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #3

11/12/2017 11:44 AM

Have you ever heard of a woman named Eugene before?

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209
In reply to #3

11/12/2017 3:09 PM

I am certain Tornado is male. So what do you say about that? Nothing? I figured as much. I, Mr. Tornado, and Darren don't need to hide behind a cloak of anonymity. So be gone!

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #6

11/14/2017 11:15 AM

At least he is not named: NewGene Ledbetter from Mississippi.

Those folks can git'-R-dun'! But there are often hours of stories related to the fall-out of the task, and who needed relief from whatever poor critter was caught treed with one of them (John) that always insisted on giving the poor animal a "fightin'" chance!

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 749
In reply to #10

11/14/2017 11:27 PM

Uh-oh; I been busted. Next up, they'll call me beerbelly or potbelly or worse.

Good Answers: 118

Re: Cantilevered Beam Stress Calculation

11/12/2017 2:37 PM

The definitions are given in the table in your link, so not clear what your problem is. For standard beams section modulus Z is tabulated, so you don't need to calculate it from I and z. z isn't usually given, but for a symmetrical beam it's 1/2 the beam depth.

In reply to #5

11/13/2017 5:44 AM

I did see the definitions, as I said what the definition of z was in my original post. My problem was that I just did not understand what it meant, I've never used that formula before and am not a mechanical engineer. You've given me the answer though at the end which is great so thank you.

There seems to be a whole lot of pointless comments here lads so let's leave it at that, the first reply to my post answered my question so it's all good.

Thanks!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 118
In reply to #7

11/13/2017 6:45 AM

To follow on from AP#1's post #3, how can you be certain we're all lads?

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #7

11/13/2017 7:54 PM

A decent Statics, and/or Strength-of-Materials, and/or structural-analysis textbook should have a adequate explanatory diagram that shows how the key to the concept is that (little z) is the (usually vertical) lateral distance from the neutral axis of the beam, in the plane of bending, perpendicularly out to the extreme edge of the beam, all relative to the same point along the longitudinal axis of the beam...

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #9

11/16/2017 7:53 PM

Alternatively, go to:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/section-modulus-conversion-d_1332.html

and see that, for your cantilever beam, ''little z'', in your website, is the distance from the origin (i.e.: the intersection of the x- and y-axis), and is, in this included website, upwards to the beam's top edge for tensile stress above the x-axis (i.e.: plus a/2), and downwards to the bottom edge for compressive stress below the x-axis (i.e.: minus a/2).

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Codemaster (2); DarrenG (3); James Stewart (1); JPool (1); MR. Guest (2); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Macbook Pro   Next in Forum: Nozzle Loads for Injection Package

Advertisement