CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Electrical/Electronics Engineering Interview - School Project!  
Close
Close
Close
18 comments

Design, Making Multitask Power Supply to Check Car's Electric Equipment

11/12/2017 9:55 AM

Hi, Bro!

I'm making project about "Design, Making multitask Power Supply to check car's electric equipment"

Could you give me some solutions for that project?

Many thanks,

Phuc

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1586

Re: "Design, Making multitask Power Supply to check car's electric equipment"

11/12/2017 10:30 AM

Define the requirements and purchase one.

If you don't know where to start, it will be a failed project.

if it's homework, ask the instructor for help.

Understanding Power Supplies and Simple Circuits | UniversalClass

12 volt power supply circuit

Register to Reply

In reply to #1

11/12/2017 10:58 AM

A multitask power supply (program with Arduino) to test the operation of car's electric equipment!

On the car, there're many electric equipment and I need adapter to connect it with multitask power supply!

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700
In reply to #2

11/12/2017 11:25 AM

<...adapter to connect it with multitask power supply...> [#2] is different from <...Making multitask Power Supply to check car's electric equipment...> [#0].

See #1⇑, as there is insufficient information available to allow the forum to help.

Please do not withhold thread-specific information as, generally speaking, no reader here likes games of "20 Questions".

In reply to #3

11/14/2017 5:36 AM

PWSlack!

I want to test electric engine actuator (or sensor...) of the passenger car (4-16 seat). Could you give me some advice?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

11/12/2017 12:20 PM

A power supply does NOT TEST anything.

What is a Power Supply? - Definition from Techopedia

As I said, define the requirements! Until you know what this device is supposed to do, and can tell somebody else, you will never succeed.

<un-subscribing>

Register to Reply

In reply to #5

11/14/2017 5:29 AM

Thanks Lyn for remind

I want to test electric engine actuator (or sensor...) of the passenger car (4-16 seat). Could you give me some advice?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

11/12/2017 12:14 PM

No-one here is your "bro".

No-one here is your mate, either.

If anyone here gave you solutions, then it wouldn't be your project.

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209
In reply to #4

11/12/2017 3:18 PM

Take the mask off or go away.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #8

11/12/2017 4:19 PM

No-one here is your mate either.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209
In reply to #9

11/12/2017 5:14 PM

I am not looking for anyone here to be my "mate", I am also not hiding behind the banner of A.P. as you are.

In reply to #10

11/12/2017 6:12 PM

<un-un-subscribing>

Don't feed the trolls, they'll suck the brains right out of you, or argue with idiots because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

<re-un-subscribing>

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

11/12/2017 2:07 PM
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350

11/12/2017 3:13 PM

I think there are some large language difficulties here because a power supply to test car electrical equipment is basically a 12V power supply.

Without a more detailed explanation of what this tester is supposed to do and exactly what equipment it is testing (and to what degree) then all we can really do is guess (likely incorrectly), which really doesn't help anyone.

Also, we don't do homework here.

My advice would be think about what you want to test and what signals you need to generate and then have a look at Arduino literature online to figure out how to build and program the Arduino to perform these functions.

If you break it down into a series of simple steps it is much easier.

In reply to #7

11/13/2017 5:44 AM

Thanks, Jack!

As you know there some equipment using different voltage on car like 5V from ECU, 12V from battery, a hundred of Volt for headlamp, or 7V, 9V for some equipment

I want to make a device to test equipment (without using the multimeter...)

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #12

11/13/2017 1:41 PM

Well if this is the project requirement then I would suggest building a single 0-100V DC variable power supply controlled by the Arduino. Alternatively you could build multiple individual set voltage power supplies.

A single power supply is best though, and there are plenty of designs online using either dedicated power supply modules, control chips and a few discrete components or using entirely discrete components (depending on how complex you need to make the design.

What is the project for, is this for school, college, University, PhD program, etc? Level of complexity will scale depending on what technical level you are at.

In reply to #13

11/14/2017 5:25 AM

Jack!

My project is for University graduation and I want to test electric engine actuator (sensor...) of the passenger car (4-16 seat). Could you give me some advice?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

11/14/2017 1:34 PM

If its a simple mechanical position sensor then a multimeter resistance or continuity test can be used to test it. If it is a more complicated electronic sensor you would need to do some research into how the sensor operates to decide what signals you need to simulate and how to monitor the sensor is operating.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174
In reply to #12

11/13/2017 7:47 PM

Here is a linear supply:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/LM2931CS-NOPB/LM2931CS-NOPB-ND/363861

Input voltage is 26VDC (Max) with variable output of 3VDC to 24VDC.

Datasheet is here.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); jack of all trades (3); JPool (2); lyn (3); Mikerho (1); Phuc Nguyen (5); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Electrical/Electronics Engineering Interview - School Project!  

Advertisement