CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Nozzle Loads for Injection Package   Next in Forum: Which Software Language ?
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Participant

Student of Mechanical Engineering

11/13/2017 2:49 PM

Hi everyone,

Now, I am a student of IZTECH from Turkey. I am at the first class and I want to be a good mechanical engineer. Any suggestions for me please?

For example, next summer, should I work somewhere as an intern or should I improve myself about languages or software?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!

Re: Student of Mechanical Enginnering

11/13/2017 3:09 PM

I am at IZTECH too but I am prep school right now. I am looking forward read your opinion. Thanks everyone...

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

Re: Student of Mechanical Engineering

11/13/2017 3:22 PM

Yes by all means learn English...I would find a group working on robotics and join up and build something...You can learn from others and by example while improving your people skills....find your weaknesses and work on them, build a portfolio of accomplishments and projects you have built or contributed to....Using what you are learning as you are learning helps to absorb the information and builds a reference library of sources of information that will serve you throughout your career....

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12

Re: Student of Mechanical Enginnering

11/13/2017 3:26 PM

The answer depends on the answers to a few questions.

• Where do you want to work after you receive your degree?
  • How important are internships to potential employers?
  • How important is foreign language proficiency for you to do your homework (do you need to be able to read books written in English?) or to work in your chosen location?

At least in the US, internships have turned into an unofficial requirement for job applicants. Sometimes, but not always, an internship can turn into a job after you graduate.

If you want to work in, or attend graduate school in, another country, you should probably start learning the language sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 749

11/13/2017 4:21 PM

Each of your choices would be an asset. In your situation, German or Russian might also be a good language to know. I recommend being alert to any opportunity that arises. You can work on language or software at any time, but you might want to delay an internship until finishing some engineering courses. Good luck, and welcome to CR4 for both you and your compatriot.

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 11

11/13/2017 7:28 PM

Try not to get so far ahead of yourself, just yet...

Focus on the first hurdle, first...

See how well you do with the math, phyiscs, chemistry. etc., first, and you'll have a more personal basis for choosing more suitable (life-directions) afterwards ...

In general, (hang-out) with people that are the more serious students, and avoid the ones that aren't...

If there's some kind of (mechanical engineering) student group, then join it to see if you even like being around mechanical-engineering-types at all...

Good Answers: 7

11/14/2017 1:22 AM

Focusing on something specific is way more useful than doing random activities. Here is what worked for me:

1. Choose your exact goal job. For example, mechanical engineer in the automotive industry.
  2. Search for that job online, as if you were to apply. Take a record of the requirements! That is what you need to work on.

I would always start by the software skills, since being enrolled in a university allows you to get student licences for many software packages for free, eitherby registering with a student email or software that some universities have "for teaching".

Furthermore, software also requires more time than hardware, which is important knowning that fitting in your schedule time consuming activities while being a student is easier than doing so while looking for a job.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #6

11/14/2017 9:57 AM

Very good advice to look for jobs that interest you and find out what qualifications employers look for. Go to a relevant professional association website, like ASME. These sites will have job ads, plus a lot of information on the latest areas of interest and probably predictions about where the jobs of the future will be. I'm sure there is a similar association in Turkey. If there is a student chapter at your school, consider joining.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25

11/14/2017 1:48 AM

Are you in final semester?. If yes then please go in the shop floor and obtain practical training. Which will help you in future.Do you industry in your city? Then you can request them for training, even if it is given free.

Good Answers: 1

11/14/2017 2:15 AM

Aim to be a problem solver. To understand how things work and how they work together. That means a very wide skill set and ability to listen and discern what is important. Practice humility, recognising the input of other people and giving them credit for it. You will then find that people will be more willing to help and ask for your help.

Wishing you well.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700

11/14/2017 3:22 AM

<...work somewhere like intern or...languages, or software?...> All of these things could be of benefit.

11/14/2017 4:17 AM

Next to English I would also focus on German, as this language opens all technical books from this Origin, a country with a very sophiticated industry and not all books are in digital versions, though most likely as paper versions available in libraries.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 4

11/14/2017 7:26 AM

By all means you should intern somewhere. choose a company that interests you as many times the company will ask you to work for them.. BUT you will only get that job offer if you excel above ALL the other interns. You need to be better than the rest. We have many many interns and i have had some good ones and some not so good. The not so good disappear after one year. The good ones get the job offer. If you do have a summer intern, remember why you are there, remember that people are watching what you do even though they may not act like they are. They are measuring your intelligence, work ethic and how well you get along with others. They are looking to see if you are a self motivator, to see if you will ask what to do next or wait for the next instructions. If you are 1 of say 10 summer interns, and the group is sitting around doing nothing all day, you have to ignore them, remember i said that you need to realize why you are there. You can also do nothing all day and get nothing out of your internship or you can work harder than everyone else and be asked to come back next year or even winter break. Its all up to you.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

11/14/2017 9:50 AM

Work on language studies and programming.

Good Answers: 8

11/14/2017 11:11 PM

It's a chill to follow your own rule wherever you may go.

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 11

11/15/2017 11:58 AM

Along the way, you would be better served if you periodically made time to learn even more about Excel(R) commands, on a routine basis. It can return great (academic dividends), over time...

11/15/2017 12:03 PM

You will do your best in this matter that you ask as you are at every step of your life, and then you will put your trust in Allah.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #16

11/15/2017 12:35 PM

Is that really necessary? What if he wants to trust in God?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (2); DavidSA (1); engilis (1); Gert Mengerink (1); gutmonarch (1); Ivanov327950 (1); James Stewart (2); MR. Guest (2); PWSlack (1); Salih Mert (1); setlock77 (1); SolarEagle (1); suresh sharma (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Nozzle Loads for Injection Package   Next in Forum: Which Software Language ?

Advertisement