CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Differences Between Engineers and Scientists   Next in Forum: Robotic Toys for Anyone
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Power-User
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - New Member

Good Answers: 4

A Microengineering Miracle

11/17/2017 3:37 PM

I'm a big fan of Great Stuff foam. One thing I always hated about it was that the foam would cure in the straw/can, so if I didn't have enough gaps to fill with one can I'd almost always have to throw it out.

I bought a can this past summer, and lo and behold this problem is no more. Dow now includes a "restartable straw"--the only difference between it and the previous straw is that they've molded a little nub into the base of the straw, so when you're done using it you can cut the straw and fold it back to prevent it from curing.

It doesn't take much to excite me, as a colleague told me today, but for someone tired of wasting spray foam I appreciate that little nub.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 73

Re: A Microengineering Miracle

11/17/2017 3:47 PM

You throw the term "microengineering miracle" around rather loosely

..and yes.

Great Stuff!

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 14

11/17/2017 4:33 PM

I'd be interested to know how the Great Foam people decided to fix the problem. Who had the idea? Who devised the solution? This looks like a simple fix -- but sometimes the simple-looking solution is in fact much more difficult to figure out.

I'm looking forward to foam-insulating the basement now!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1140

11/17/2017 5:17 PM

The possibilities are endless....

http://justsomething.co/old-junk-car/

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155

11/20/2017 9:29 AM

I like it too, with a caveat: Do not wantonly spray this inside wallboard, thinking it will fill the space evenly as it will absolutely crack and destroy wallboard.

It is meant for filling small air gaps and that only.

Foam spray insulation is never done with the gypsum wallboard in place. It is sprayed over the outer layer wall, covering the studs, then leveled before installation of wallboard.

As to the non-cure tube, that is an advance, although I simply used to remove the spout and clean it with acetone when done with a partially used can.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #4

11/20/2017 9:33 AM

I think this might be useful for making sand molds. I would have to study up on sand casting, but really how hard can it be?

Not that I know all about it, but a cardboard box, a garbage bag, and some Great Stuff, makes great packing material, even for fairly massive objects.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (1); James Stewart (2); JE in Chicago (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Differences Between Engineers and Scientists   Next in Forum: Robotic Toys for Anyone

Advertisement