CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Analog Signal Wiring to PLC   Next in Forum: Room Thermostat
Close
Close
Close
25 comments
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155

Infrared Sensor and Heavy Amounts of G Shock

11/20/2017 4:43 PM

The picture at left is me beside our LENR hydrolysis reactor and calorimeter set up, taken a couple months ago.

This picture at left is my buddy holding up the Infrared temperature sensor we had sitting on top of the reactor lid when it was blow off by spark-induced hydrogen-oxygen explosion. WOW! This was found 25 feet away under a John Deere tractor (but still in the same barn). We are going to attempt to hook this back up to the cable (that was ripped away from soldered wires), and have another go, this time keeping water over the electrodes.

Question: How many G's do you think this sensor can take? I have no idea what the G shock was when it was sent flying through the foam insulation roof of enclosure. We will see if it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 177

Re: Infrared Sensor and Heavy Amounts of G Shock

11/20/2017 5:24 PM

Well, the case isn't cracked (Or is it? Doesn't look like it from here), so that's one good sign. How much does it weigh?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #1

11/21/2017 9:18 AM

Weight is less than 28 gram. I have not weighed it, but that is a good upper bound. Lower bound about 14 gram. My buddy is going to wire it back up, maybe, but I would rather do this, and make the pins actually to female wire sockets. I have the female pins, socket (4-pin), and the all important crimping tool. I also have at least one spare Geiger tube.

We may get rid of the lead anode, and go back to using carbon (calcined anthracite), that lasted OK, until we set the reactor aside loaded with carbonate solution for too long. Cathode carbon is still structurally sound, so something set up a galvanic bias and attacked previous carbon anode. Strange indeed.

Good Answers: 1140

11/20/2017 7:42 PM

Looks fine from here....no moving parts? 100% intact? ...carry on...

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 351

11/20/2017 8:12 PM

How many G's do you think this sensor can take?

If it still works its probably fine. As to how much (explosive) force it can take my suggestion would be to reduce the possibility of explosions, but again that's just me.

Jack - Hazardous Area Equipment Certifier

In reply to #3

11/21/2017 9:23 AM

I cannot agree more. This was due to storage of the reactor with electrodes immersed, while using a lead anode. It apparently formed dendrites (I was not aware of this).

Apparently, my buddy failed to enable the refill pump switch ( pump controlled by load cell under reactor). Reactor ran near dry, then apparently sparked over from one dendrite to the reactor steel wall (apparently a ground fault back through the load cell that is now unresponsive). Sparks, or arcs and hydrogen-oxygen stoichiometric mixture is not good.

I am making plans to put an extended polycarbonate partition between electrodes that will extend about 1 cm past the normal water line.

I also have a spare IR temp sensor for use, in case this one is toast.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 753

11/21/2017 1:31 AM

I would hook it back up to its readout device and check a few temps that can be independently verified. Maybe shake it while reading to ensure that no internal solder or other connections have come loose.

Good Answers: 8

11/21/2017 8:07 AM

Dude,...you forgot to mention that guy cost much than those set up. Don't you?

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 213

11/21/2017 8:38 AM

Hydrogen / oxygen explosion??? Some people just have all the fun.

11/21/2017 10:01 AM

Seriously, Buddy. Can I have a piece of a subpart of what you are working. I have ideas about disintegrating molecules not just water. Oh, I never make my masters thesis proposal yet and its due this December 2017.

If you have a thing or two that still unsettling or need think tank or scrutiny, it would be my pleasure to be a part of the acknowledgement.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

11/21/2017 10:12 AM

Can you set up a microwave plasma with just a little extra water added?

If you impinge the most cooler parts of the plasma on some rutile (TiO2), this can form

OH• radical, the top oxidant, even above ozone. Flow this to the molecules you want to destroy, and superimpose that with another microwave plasma. That ought to do the job, no matter what the organic molecule is, even something like hexachlorophene.

Vinyl chloride, even PVC will break down under RF or microwave plasma conditions. Have fun.

In reply to #10

11/21/2017 11:36 AM

Yep, it makes a big difference if you can make it with half or a portion of the effort to disintegrate these molecules. Oh, and wow! An emperical or a theoretical formula could lead to may be a nobel prize unlocking LERN perhaps. ---its premature to celebrate yet.

But, could be the worst military weaponry.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

11/21/2017 11:49 AM

No, and no.

We may prove that for this system of LENR, (it is not LERN), using catalytic carbon, achieving induction of any nuclear reaction at all is random, very infrequent, and unpredictable in occurrence. Thus any expectation of having excess heat in a reliable manner is sliding toward the edge of the table. Not so much on CC-LENR of system involving under-water arc with carbon electrodes. Very little research of any qualified nature on that system, other than claims of large (700%) XSH, beyond the input, even compensated for the carbon burn off, but no geiger testing that I have seen. I find that I am uncomfortable with the manner in which these experiments have been carried out, and there is a complete lack of serious documentation.

Until we have the documentation, it does not exist.

Good Answers: 44

11/21/2017 2:56 PM

LENR - Loud Explosive Nut Retractor

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

11/21/2017 3:35 PM

It sure works for pucker factor, so why not? Fortunately, no one was on the scene for the event, we were operating in semi-auto - in other words, in "ignore" mode.

In reply to #14

11/21/2017 5:43 PM

So if a LENR explodes in the garage and no one is around to hear it, does it still go BOOM?

Glad no one got hurt. Any progress on the angle sensor mount?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

11/22/2017 8:47 AM

No. My time has been used up administering chores for my wife while she lies on the couch, recuperating from a massive abscess (inside the iliac right membrane).

I have some vacation time next week, will attempt then.

In reply to #16

11/22/2017 10:45 AM

No pressure as I have the same sort of circumstances and understand very well. Maybe we could take the flatulizer and turn the chambers into impulse rocket motors and use it as a generator.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

11/22/2017 11:58 AM

So just one spark-plug? Now we are talking about lighting flatulence? The word hair should not be mentioned in this connection.

In reply to #18

11/22/2017 12:45 PM

The hair is an extra added feature.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

12/04/2017 1:15 PM

maybe so. but I expect it would not last well made of 3D plastic.

I managed to get two sensors surface soldered to two of the boards, and it was not easy, the little critters are 2.5 mm on a side, and the board is about 5-6mm wide.

Procedure finally used with good results:

1. get sober.

2. set up microscope to laptop (USB 'scope).

3. turn on soldering iron with tiny tip.

4. acquire cheap hot air gun from Texas Electronics (works great).

5. light cigarette (carefully) with hot air gun.

6. smooke cigarette.

7. take a pee break.

9. put the board under the microscope (on the flattest surface possible).

10. apply solder paste to the pad areas on the board, two stripes covering all six pads works OK, (from Digi-Key) with 181 °C melt temp. Note the maximum temperature of angle sensor AAT003 is 183 °C.

11. acquire the best pair of fine tweezers available, and watch through microscope while aligning the chip with tweezers to the outlined area on the evaluation board. AAT036 (I think).

12. once satisfied, stop fidgeting and apply the hot air gun intensely until you witness smoke from the flux in the solder paste, and beads of shiny metal appear on the pad areas.

13. note that all the pads are likely shorted together at this point, since too much paste is inevitably applied this way.

14. clean the tip of the now hot soldering iron until it is shinier that Don Richols forehead, and rake this tiny tip over the pad areas, once or twice each side only.

15. check the board for no short circuits between any pads, and the correct resistance (depends on how much you overheated the chip during surface mount). Near nominal value of resistance of each arm of the "resistance" network of the GMR chip should obtain and be balanced if chip is undamaged, and not in a strong oriented magnetic field.

16. add header pins to the board, solder them with normal procedure for non-microscopic components, and attach signal cable.

17. attach signal cable to screw down terminal headers on Arduino Mega.

18. write a program using analog input standard 10 bit resolution, use the cosine and sine outputs of the chip to calculate atan2(cos, sin) for the angle in radians (everything past π (cosine <0) ends up as a negative angle, so add 2π). Readings are stable to within 1 degree.

19. conditional logic states if present angle less than previous reading (while the magnet is turning), and the cosine >0 & sine>0, and previous cosine<0), a full revolution is detected. Adding a slight bias positive to the present angle prevents false positives due to low angular velocity and sensor flicker.

20. calculate before and after angle readings (use a loop with at least 10 iterations to count up rotations and not miss anything), then apply the volume constant of the flow meter to arrive at metered gas flow in L/m. One may also calculate the angular velocity during the loop, along with metered flow rate during the loop as L/s.

21. smile, have another cigarette (actually several packs, since this took most of a week).

sensor with Arduino boardcloseup of sensor on test rig

12/04/2017 1:19 PM

Here is another pic of interest, of the load cell that was under the reactor vessel at the time of hydrogen-oxygen explosion.

Note how the load cell is now doglegged (and obviously has open circuits for strain gauges).

This is a pretty good indication of the force on the reactor downward as the lid was shot out of its gasket.

In reply to #21

12/04/2017 2:08 PM

At Chernobyl, the floor plate of the reactor, which was about 5 feet thick and 40 feet in diameter was hammered down about three feet into the concrete foundation structure.

How big was your mushroom cloud?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

12/04/2017 4:01 PM

Yes, they had a lot more going for them than we did, especially considering all the heat stored up, bottled up, pent up, and ready to go.

In reply to #23

12/04/2017 5:28 PM

I knew Chernobyl went prompt critical, but there is some speculation that there was actually some nuclear yield beyond the steam explosion when it popped.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

12/05/2017 10:22 AM

I don't plan on loading any of my LENR experiments with Lithium just yet....

Or boron either. We presently have plenty of carbon present, so if there are neutrons, they will either start off cold or not, and become thermal quickly if hot neutrons could somehow be formed.

So far, the system does not really even want to "bump" boil under normal operation, and sits there quietly and operates with little foam (we use Gas-X to prevent foam over). The loudest part of the system right now is the solenoid valve I use to dump pressure (and gas) of the displacement jar on existing load cell gas flow meter. That works by weighing water displaced to the jar on the load cell (not the reactor load cell). When the receiver jar gets to the targeted weight (at full), the gas pressure (2-3 kPa) vents off by solenoid, and the displaced water rolls back to the displacement jar for a set time period. Then measurement cycles start over.

The flatulizer gas meter will eliminate this cyclic aspect, and will simply continuously rotate.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

gutmonarch (3); jack of all trades (1); James Stewart (11); Jpfalt (6); JPool (1); Mikerho (1); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Analog Signal Wiring to PLC   Next in Forum: Room Thermostat

Advertisement