CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: More (LED) Light Pollution, Not Less!   Next in Forum: Metal or Polymer with Differing Properties
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Consultant

11/23/2017 6:01 AM

Please assist me with my search for unclassified Radar Altimeter for low altitude, made by other than Chinese vendors :

1- 400 feet,

High horizontal speed

data updates - 200 Hz or above

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster #2

Re: Consultant

11/23/2017 6:11 AM

Sure. Try this.

Guru

Good Answers: 1598

11/23/2017 10:48 AM

Hire a consultant.

Guru

11/23/2017 3:35 PM
Commentator

Good Answers: 2

11/24/2017 10:00 AM

Jump ! OK, How High ?

At night, in good weather, designed originally for precisely 60 feet, any horizontal speed, direct display does data updates at better than a million per second(wow!), off-the-shelf, economical, really high frequency radar transmitters(shrouded spotlights) and receivers(on-hand eyeballs), mature technology(ca WWII), battle tested, British(not Chinese) designed, well documented, the Lockspeiser altimeter seems like an interesting possibility. Here is an animation of the concept of its use during Operation Chastise.

thewildΩtter π ! and that would, of course, be a piece of pumpkin Π(pi).

Guru

In reply to #4

11/24/2017 2:11 PM

Dam, Buster good find.

Commentator

In reply to #5

11/24/2017 9:42 PM

Lyn,

Yep, a certified case of disruptive technology. I see you did some deep data diving into my animation link.

I must give credit to my late father, who told the story of skipping bombs like a rock ceaselessly and with theatrical enthusiasm. He also told stories of Sir Winston Churchill "smoking a box of cigars and drinking a fifth of whiskey every day of his life until he died at 90+ years of age. " The Churchill story may have been an exaggeration but others have commented generally on the named proclivities. My "medical 4F" father spent WWII building veterans hospitals on Bermuda(what a great gig!) where there was considerable interaction with high ranking, wounded British soldiers who apparently made quite a lasting impression on him. I miss him profoundly but, as you see now, there was nearly zero research required for the "good find." My Uncle Shorty had one lung and very flat feet but was drafted into the Infantry and saw action(multiple purple hearts) nearly everywhere(except Africa) also used to tell me WWII, the big one, stories. These guys really taught a lot of history and even appropriate technology with their yarns about the war. They are a vanished educational resource now, except indirectly in these posts. For World War I, youtube has Indiana 'Indy' Neidell, an American military historian, who sounds almost exactly like them and I have become addicted to his series on "The Great War." Indy, of course, did not "live it" as my relatives did but he has done so much research on it that it sounds like he did. I hate war and suffering, but Indy does too, and I believe what they say about a profound understanding of war is the best way to avoid repeating it. War forces technological advances so one can gain a great appreciation of the progression of say, machining and materials technologies impacts by studying the incremental improvements of firearms during WWI. I recommend looking into the development of airplane propeller/machine gun synchronization for a specific, interesting history of technology yarn. For a longer yarn, Indy has a bunch of stuff on the evolution of tank(armored vehicle) technology as driven by WWI trench warfare.

thewildΩtter !

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 8

11/25/2017 6:37 AM

This is how it goes at 401 feet and 201hz,

Commentator

In reply to #7

11/25/2017 12:45 PM

Huh !

So, for some unspecified altimeter. If you run it just beyond spec 400->401 and 200->201 the human interface gives you a rock band concert that says there is danger but that you should not walk away ? If there is danger, I typically do walk away.

Is that humor ? Does it mean when it is out of spec it goes crazy ?

Sorry if I am out in the boonies here but I wonder if I missed something/everything.

Maybe its a generational thing.

Can someone explain, or is it hopeless. Maybe hopelessness is the point ?

I hear nothing in the video at 201 Hz. The distance to some of the crowd may be 401 feet. I had at one point considered suggesting sonar but the OP had mentioned radar and the repetition rate would be strained at 400 feet (800 down and back ~1 sec to non-overlapping pulses) so one would have the complexity of dealing with aliasing.

Maybe gutmonarch just thinks it is fun to watch rock videos and that is the whole point. It might be impervious to geeky analysis.

thewildΩtter βξ~~~~~! <-thewildotter with noise canceling headphones swimming away(not walking)

Reply to Forum Thread 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); gutmonarch (1); lyn (3); thewildotter (3)

Previous in Forum: More (LED) Light Pollution, Not Less!   Next in Forum: Metal or Polymer with Differing Properties

Advertisement