CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: New Cars   Next in Forum: Kia Rio Sputters for Several Seconds Every Time I Fill w/ Petrol
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

Alstom Presents "Scalextric-like" Solution to Electric Road Transport

11/23/2017 8:50 AM
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 8

Re: Alstom presents "Scalextric-like" solution to electric road transport

11/23/2017 11:39 AM

To me tris looks very far inthe future. Rebuilding the roads to implement this infrastructure looks like complicated as hell, and the driving need to be so precise that autonomous vehicles would be required.

Finally, there is the safety problem. Rain means electric short circuit, and people getting out of the vehicle could get electrocuted on the road. Apart from the fact that those distances would require such a low voltage that the range would be useless.

There are so many issues with this design that I doubt it will EVER be implemented!

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #1

11/23/2017 7:39 PM

Just wait by the side of the road with some BBQ sauce. You'll change your mind about this system when you taste what it has to offer.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 51
In reply to #6

11/27/2017 4:27 PM

road kill grilled while you wait..... YUMMY.... Fried Nutria!!

Good Answers: 236

11/23/2017 2:06 PM

I think I must have missed the bit where they said what voltage this runs at.

To deliver that much power you need either very high voltage or very high current (or moderately high voltage AND moderately high current).

To stay at a safe voltage, say 25V, you'd need to be drawing a few thousand Amps: those brushes would need to be pretty special.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #2

11/24/2017 1:14 AM

For low voltage you can deliver energy over a few meters, maybe tens of meters, but it will not work over kilometers (or miles for yankies out there).

The parasitics are too high, and the voltage drop between the brushes and the rails make the task literally impossible to work at 25V.

Unless you make it out of gold!

Good Answers: 1140

11/23/2017 2:50 PM

I have seen in some videos of people dragging electric cars with regenerative braking to charge the batteries, so it seems it would be easy enough to make a gravity charging section in the road every so often.... a long sloping hill followed by an auto ferris wheel sort of setup would return the car to ground level....entering at the bottom and exiting at the top with an optional do-over....The wheel could be 3 or 4 lanes, maybe more...

An amusement park ride to make charging fun.....

...and while you're on the ferris wheel it could have a tire spinner that continued to charge the battery all the way back up....

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 753

11/23/2017 3:37 PM

Lots of PR blather, few details or principles. Who gives a rip if Alstom has its own shipping depot somewhere?

Good Answers: 1598

11/23/2017 4:27 PM

Looks like "Scalextric" (second from bottom) has been around for awhile.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

11/24/2017 2:32 AM

How about a short section at traffic lights, segmented so that sections not in use would not be switched on, each segment short enough to be covered by the vehicle being charged, a positioning mechanism on the vehicle to find the rails, communication with the power control to indicate 'I'm on it, switch this section on', interface to the traffic light controller to 'stop charging and retract' when the lights are going green or 'don't bother we don't have time', vehicle smarts which only charges when required, vehicle ID and link to credit card to charge for charging?

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #8

11/24/2017 9:12 AM

I like that idea a lot. ...except that a true autonomous roadway would not have vehicles that stop.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 622

11/24/2017 7:17 AM

This might have limited use for specific installations, but I don't see this happening for public roads.

I really don't see any kind of powered road replacing the existing road system, except in isolated circumstances. The real answer will be to develop a safe rapid-recharging system, which would likely be far cheaper and happen a lot sooner.

If a powered road system was needed it would be safer to bury magnetic coils in the road surface and use induction to recharge a battery. There's no chance of electrocution, no shorting, it's safe for 'regular' vehicles to drive on, and sensors could be installed with the coils to power them on/off when an electric vehicle is over the coil to save power.

Good Answers: 1140

Re: Alstom Presents "Scalextric-like" Solution to Electric Road Transport

11/25/2017 3:41 PM

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

DavidSA (1); Ivanov327950 (2); JE in Chicago (2); lyn (1); Original_Macgyver (1); Randall (1); SolarEagle (2); Tornado (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: New Cars   Next in Forum: Kia Rio Sputters for Several Seconds Every Time I Fill w/ Petrol

Advertisement