CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Engineering Survey For Product Creation   Next in Forum: Hydraulic Actuators
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Active Contributor

220VAC to Variable DC Voltage (3.3-100DCV) Transformer

11/29/2017 4:33 AM

I'm thinking about making a transformer to change from 220VAC to 3.3-100VDC(variable voltage) to check some car actuator (5V,12V,24V...) control by microcontroller!

Could you give me some advice and material for that project?

Or we can make a transformer DC (I will use voltage from laptop adaptor ~ 20VDC) to variable DC voltage (3.3-100VDC)control by microcontroller! Which one is better? AC-DC transformer or DC-DC transformer?

Thanks,

Phuc

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

Re: 220VAC to variable DC voltage (3.3-100DCV) transformer

11/29/2017 4:45 AM

Yes. Don't make one. Buy one.

Life is short enough as it is without reinventing the proverbial wheel.

In reply to #1

11/29/2017 8:42 AM

PWSlack!

Could you give me advise AC-DC or DC-DC transformer?

Could you recommend some products for me to research, improve it!

Thanks

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
In reply to #3

11/29/2017 9:00 AM

Simply use a search engine to find the power supply that fits the need and the budget.

<...advise AC-DC or DC-DC transformer...> Yes:

• Given that the supply is <...220VAC...> and the requirement is an output of <...variable DC voltage (3.3-100DCV)...>, an <...AC-DC...> piece of equipment is required
  • A <...DC-DC...> one will be unsuitable, and probably won't be labelled a <...transformer...> as this term only applies to AC to AC equipment.

In order to select a piece of equipment the maximum output current capability will need to be identified.

After that, it's a shopping expedition.

Go for it.

<unsubscribes>

Good Answers: 44
In reply to #4

12/01/2017 11:19 AM

PW I think he's pulling your leg. Phuc-ing with you.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Power-User

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #3

11/30/2017 10:40 AM

I would recommend getting an engineer's dictionary so you would know the proper terms to use first. It might be hard to look up the term to match the definition you want (a reverse dictionary). But with a thesaurus, you could check other terms for the right definition. I know it's not easy. But remember this: If you ask the wrong question, you're 100% guaranteed to get the wrong answer.

11/29/2017 7:18 AM

Good Answers: 1140

Re: 220VAC to Variable DC Voltage (3.3-100DCV) Transformer

11/29/2017 9:34 AM

You have to know what the wattage demand is to determine proper component....probably cheaper to use 2 components...100vdc seems high for bench testing auto related stuff....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Converter-110V-220V-DC-36-V-MAX-6-5A-180W-Regulated-Transformer-Power-Driver/222651277534?epid=509608007&hash=item33d70ce0de:g:GqMAAOSwuLRZwlVT

...then a dc to dc step step down converter...

In reply to #5

11/29/2017 10:04 AM

Thanks, SolarEagle for your help,

I do not have the electric major, my major is the automobile engineering. Could you give me some finished project about AC-DC transformer control by MICROCONTROLLER? So I can learn it easily as an amateur!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1598

11/29/2017 10:05 AM

To amplify (no pun intended) PWSlack's comments, asking the same question usually will not yield a different, or better, answer. Design, Making Multitask Power Supply to Check Car's Electric Equipment

It just makes forum members angry that you didn't bother to read the other thread you already posted, where you would have found Understanding Power Supplies and Simple Circuits | UniversalClass. and other, hopefully, helpful suggestions.

Also, Please tell the forum which of these profiles is of you: PHUC NGUYEN | Professional Profile - LinkedIn so that we have a better understanding of your level of education, knowledge and experience, if any. Or, are you a student?

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #7

11/29/2017 10:26 AM

Thanks lyn for reminding!

PHUC NGUYEN | Professional Profile - LinkedIn is not me!

Now I'm a student with automobile engineering major, I worked as a mechanical technician in British American Tobacco company in 2 years before (I got a diploma). Now I want to make a transformer. As you know it's really difficult for me to know about MICROCONTROLLER. Electric, electronics I try to read to understand... maybe I need the time or project to be more mature...

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1598
In reply to #9

11/29/2017 10:50 AM

Thanks.

99% of the information provided by members is taken directly from the internet by performing a simple search.

Sometimes, a member may have personal knowledge of information, by virtue of their life experiences.

Perhaps looking at some hints on searching may help you.

10 tips for smarter, more efficient Internet searching - TechRepublic

How to Search the Internet Effectively | MediaSmarts

Make Your Web Searches Better With These Ten Tips - Lifewire

Other students can offer suggestions to help you, maybe some have already thought about this subject.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #9

11/29/2017 11:03 AM

Now I want to make a transformer.

But it's easier to buy something that suits your needs.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 8

11/29/2017 11:30 AM

Here is a simple design for your needs. It may not be the cheapest solution but it is the simplest.

The easiest is converting from 230Vac to DC, using

1. Variable autotransformer, a.k.a. VARIAC.
  2. Full bridge rectifier. For example 25A 1600V from Vishay.

Wire them together using schematics that you can find in the internet and you would have your variable DC power supply.

It is not the best solution but it is certainly the simples DIY.

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #12

11/30/2017 4:53 AM

Ivanov327950, Auto transformers (Variacs) do not isolate the output from mains earth. This guy will kill himself. An Auto transformer is a variable voltage directly from incoming line Life and neutral. Your answer is a dangerous answer to an obvious "no knowlege" at all person, he may find a salesman that sell him an auto transformer.

Good Answers: 113

11/30/2017 12:16 AM

Lets take your question......

we can make a transformer DC......

Nope.... never heard of a DC transformer..... you need to study up on your AC theory

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #13

11/30/2017 1:12 AM

After reading a few posts of this kind I realised that many people say tranformer when they mean "power converter".

I have no idea where they come from and whether this type of misconception is considered to be technically correct there, but it certainly sounds wrong for power engineers.

Maybe they covered the transformers chapter of their book, but they skipped the part about power converters so they have never heard of it. We will NEVER know!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); brich (1); Dennis R. Levesque (1); Ivanov327950 (2); Jpfalt (1); lyn (2); Oomborrie (1); Phuc Nguyen (3); PWSlack (3); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Engineering Survey For Product Creation   Next in Forum: Hydraulic Actuators

Advertisement