CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Isolator Switch   Next in Forum: Capacitance and Tan Delta Measurements
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Busbar Protection

12/01/2017 12:34 AM

consider the figure below containing two busbars (BUS 1& BUS 2) of 20KV fed by a turbo generator. the two busbars are placed in separate rooms connected by power cable of distance 25 meter. the vacuum circuit breaker "VCB1" has a dedicated protection relay installed in its cubicle. but VCB2 ,which is incoming of BUS 2 has no protection relay.any fault on BUS2 will be cleared by VCB1 and VCB2 will not trip.so VCB2 will not trip for any fault on bus bar 2 . i want to know is it ok or should we install a seperate relay on VCB2? what are the technical problems in not installing a protection relay in VCB2 switchgear.regards.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

Re: busbar protection

12/01/2017 6:27 AM

<...is it ok or should we...>

• If it exists, then the degree of <...ok...> will have been determined by the designers and the individuals who commissioned it. Their names and telephone numbers are on documents that cannot be seen from here.
  • <...should...> implies there is a standard to be complied with, which cannot be seen from here. The country of installation has not been stated, nor has the standard to which the installation is to be assessed.
  • <...we...> please do not use undefined pronouns. The capabilities of the <...we...> cannot be assessed from here.

All <...VCB2...> is doing is disconnecting <...BUS 2...> from the feeder cable. Circuit protection device(s) exist within <...VCB1...>, according to the original posting, which protect both the feeder cable and <...BUS 2...>, so another possibility to consider is the removal of <...VCB2...> altogether.

Local standards and protocols will determine the correct course of action. "Do nothing" is among the options.

Good Answers: 1598

Re: Busbar Protection

12/01/2017 9:56 AM

Beware, if you don't know what you are doing, don't do it.

This might be the result

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350

12/03/2017 1:51 PM

See my responses to your previous questions.

Based on your previous posts I am not confident you should try as I don't believe you have the necessary education and training to perform such a delicate and dangerous job.

I would strongly advise other professionals to do the same. I view your continued questions on CR4 to allow you to perform your job as unethical on multiple levels.

Good Answers: 2

12/06/2017 1:19 AM

So sometimes it's done. In this case, it is necessary to check the sensitivity factor of protection of VCB1 under min short circuit outside the territory BUS2

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ArtElektrik (1); jack of all trades (1); lyn (1); PWSlack (1)

Previous in Forum: Isolator Switch   Next in Forum: Capacitance and Tan Delta Measurements

Advertisement