CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Alstom Presents "Scalextric-like" Solution to Electric Road Transport  
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 177

Kia Rio Sputters for Several Seconds Every Time I Fill w/ Petrol

12/02/2017 2:23 AM

I bought a used Kia Rio a few months ago, and every time I fill the gas tank, when I start the engine back up, it acts like it wants to die (and will) if I don't keep the accelerator at higher RPMs.

This only lasts about 30 seconds to a minute, and it seems it is very slowly getting better - less time to being "normal". I have filled the gas tank around 20 times since I got it.

Does anyone know what causes this?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 203

Re: Kia Rio sputters for several seconds every time I fill w/petrol

12/02/2017 3:57 AM

First impression is a blocked fuel filter or faulty fuel pump.

Removing the fuel cap to fill the tank removes the pressure in the fuel tank that would be assisting flow. Once that internal gas pressure has been restored, operation returns to "normal" that is in reality probably still poor due to the inherent defect.

Note, this is just a guess, but you could test it simply by opening the fuel tank (without adding fuel), return the cap and see what happens.

Then repeat without putting the cap back on and this should be even worse.

Seems like previous owner would have known of this???

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

In reply to #1

12/04/2017 11:03 AM

I will loosen the cap at lunch and see what happens!

The previous owner had not driven this car for over 6 months.

In reply to #16

12/04/2017 3:34 PM

OK - I unscrewed the cap and replaced it. The car started up just fine.

Good Answers: 246

12/02/2017 4:48 AM

Are you in the habit of 'topping off the tank' when you fill up? Do you restart the pump after it initiiaally shuts off due to sensed high levell?

Loosening tthe gas cap would alsl alleviate any fuel flow problems due to overfilling.

Good Answers: 246
In reply to #2

12/02/2017 8:38 PM

Seems exactly spot on topic.

This is an intiguing topic. Your opinion is valued comment rater. There is interest in your thought process. I'm sure your opinion on many things is highly desired and this probably puts a huge strain on your available time, but if you (the person rating the comment to which this responds, as 'off-topic') can, please expound on your myopia or grudge that prompted said ratjng.

In reply to #2

12/04/2017 11:07 AM

No! I have always heard that it is not good to do this. Besides, I never top it off (except when I overestimate) - I always pay first and estimate how much $ will get it fairly full.

I do not know who rated you OT, but I will give you a GA to at least get you even.

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods
Good Answers: 6

12/02/2017 7:57 AM

Clean the vent line from the tank to the filler cap area. When plugged this prevents flow of gas to the fuel pump.

Guru

Good Answers: 1141

Re: Kia Rio Sputters for Several Seconds Every Time I Fill w/ Petrol

12/02/2017 9:15 AM

..."As a test, after a fill up, try pinching off or blocking the vacuum purge line that draws vapors from the EVAP canister into the intake manifold.

If the engine starts and runs well then you know the problem is coming from the EVAP system.

This is only a temporary setup. Keeping that line blocked will disable the EVAP system and trigger the check engine light."...

..." float valve that allows the fumes to vent through the charcoal bed is sticking open when you fill, allowing raw fuel into the charcoal bed."...

https://www.kiapartsoverstock.com/p/gb/CANISTER-ASSEMBLY/7155563/314202S500.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla

https://community.cartalk.com/t/rough-idle-and-stall-after-filling-gas-tank-100-2007-corolla/83995

Good Answers: 1141
In reply to #4

12/02/2017 4:49 PM

....or you could just have some water in the fuel tank....

Good Answers: 1598

12/02/2017 10:22 AM

What happens if you turn the ignition on (starting the fuel pump) and then wait 30 seconds before starting the car?

Register to Reply
Guru

12/02/2017 10:41 PM

You're not alone.

07 Spectra stalling when gas tank is filled - Kia Forum

Or, maybe:

I have similar trouble. My Kia Rio 2006 LX won't start easily after I fill the tank.
I have to crank the engine for 5-10 seconds and give it lots of gas before the engine starts. Then I have to maintain lots of revs as the engine won't idle. I then have to drive about 2 miles before the engine is back to normal.
My mechanic suggested that I take the car to Kia and have them apply an ECM update as described in this Service Bulletin:

Quote:

Make : KIA Model : RIO Year : 2006

Manufacturer : KIA MOTORS CORPORATION
Service Bulletin Number : TSB-033 Date of Bulletin : APR 01, 2010
NHTSA Item Number : 10032713
Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Summary :
KIA: ECM UPGRADE-MIL ON WITH DTC P0300, P0128, P0140, P0442 & P0461. VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE A ROUGH IDLE DURING INITIAL COLD START UP PERIOD AND/OR ILLUMINATE THE MIL. *PE UPDATED 10/29/10. *PE

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #8

12/03/2017 3:53 PM

Lyn gives a good answer except for one thing, pushing the accelerator pedal down does not give the car any gas. Pushing the pedal down repeatedly just causes the butterfly valve in the throttle body to open and close ( if a cable connection is between the pedal and the throttle body )

If the system use a throttle by wire system, look for a fault in the throttle position sensor.

As for the fail to start after fueling issue, solar eagle is on the right track. Its a good possibility that over fueling the car has allowed fuel to go into the evaporation purge canister. When the car gets ready to start, the system is stuck on evap purge and as soon as vapor clears, then liquid fuel is supplied.

Of course check for a mil & stored codes.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

12/03/2017 4:38 PM

I think you are right but, I'm just copy/pasting what was offered.

The days of the carburettor and turboencabulator are gone, except for small gas powered tools and General Aviation aircraft.

I doubt that Mikerho is guilty of overfilling to the point of overflowing the filler tube.

I almost always let the cut-off trip, them wait for the bubbles (which cause the first trip) to subside then give the handle another squeeze till it trips the second time, which may add a tiny bit more gas. That cuts off the flow prior to any danger of overflowing. I never have an issue on restart. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

12/03/2017 6:25 AM

Sounds like muck in the tank, when you fill up you churn up the muck and some of it reaches the fuel filter which starves the engine, I would have the tank cleaned out which may mean taking the tank off, not cheap, replacing the filter & cleaning the fuel pumps.

Bazzer.

Good Answers: 12

12/03/2017 7:43 AM

When you remove the gas cap to fill the tank does pressure vent out? If yes, next time around fill the tank as you normally do. When you go to start the engine turn the key to the run position and wait several seconds for the fuel pump to build up pressure before starting the engine. If this works, the fuel pressure regulator on the injector fuel rail may be bad.

Good Answers: 33

12/04/2017 9:18 AM

Does your check engine light come on? If it does get an OBDII tester and find out what the codes are and look the codes up online.

I've always heard that if it's the fuel filter, that when it goes bad it just cuts fuel off period.

In reply to #13

12/04/2017 11:12 AM

Nope. My son has a reader and I can borrow it if I need to. But, no engine light.

12/04/2017 9:49 AM

I heard someone else telling a similar story. They replaced the gas cap with a new one and the problem went away. Apparently either the seal was bad or a vent valve in the cap was blocked. Either way it was a very inexpensive fix. There are previous posts sort of close to this answer as well.

Register to Reply
Guru

12/04/2017 11:01 AM

Sorry I haven't had time to read the replies. I am back today and will be answering individual replies throughout the day.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155

12/05/2017 11:45 AM
  1. It is a Kia.
  2. It is a Kia.
  3. It is getting flooded with vapor somehow, possibly on a vapor recovery line leading to the air intake???
  4. I don't know jack about Kia.

gas fumes? This is giving me gas.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

12/13/2017 4:19 AM

This sort of thing happens occasionally in ancient, pre-electric cars.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bazzer Englander (1); James Stewart (1); Janissaries (1); Just an Engineer (1); lyn (3); Mikerho (5); PWSlack (1); ronc (1); Rotag (1); SolarEagle (2); tonyhemet (1); truth is not a compromise (2); wmerryall (1)

Previous in Forum: Alstom Presents "Scalextric-like" Solution to Electric Road Transport  

Advertisement