CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Foaming Agent of Soap   Next in Forum: Distinguish Two Pieces Of Mineral Magnetite As To Source
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Power-User

Location: kibbutz nir-david, a beautiful rural village in Israel

PVC Heat Resistance

12/17/2017 9:38 AM

Dear respected gurus. How can I find heat resistance for pvc 610 plastic sheet.

Thickness 0.49 m.m?

thank you in advance

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: PVC thermal resistance
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 238

Re: pvc heat resistance

12/17/2017 10:59 AM

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_chloride#Properties

The heat stability of raw PVC is very poor, so the addition of a heat stabilizer during the process is necessary in order to ensure the product's properties. PVC starts to decompose when the temperature reaches 140 °C (284 °F), with melting temperature starting around 160 °C (320 °F). The linear expansion coefficient of rigid PVC is small and has good flame retardancy, the Limiting oxygen index (LOI) being up to 45 or more. The LOI is the minimum concentration of oxygen, expressed as a percentage, that will support combustion of a polymer and noting that air has 20% content of oxygen.

Maybe you'd be better off with Chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC)

The 610 part of the name is just a way to refer to thickness 610 grams per square meter.

Good Answers: 1594

Re: PVC Heat Resistance

12/17/2017 11:47 AM

I don't know what the intended function is but, some of my swimming pool plumbing is 40 years old. I replaced some of it because I wanted unions connecting everything fore ease of maintenance, not because it needed to be.

It has never been covered and I live in the low desert of Arizona where the temperature has reached 122°F and routinely gets to 110-115 every summer.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: kibbutz nir-david, a beautiful rural village in Israel
In reply to #2

12/17/2017 1:05 PM

Dear lyn- I asked about pvc sheet, not plumbing.

Have a nice day.

azi

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 246
In reply to #2

12/17/2017 5:43 PM

PVC does suffer degredation due to UV exposure, becoming more brittle and less impact resistant where exposed.

Unfortunately, you likely haven't discovered a new strain of superior pvc in your old fittings....no need to save those any longer. Manufacturers have been aware of this for longer than the 40 years your old pvc has been installed. White PVC typically has something like TiO2 added which makes it opaque to much of the UV. A thin outside layer is still degraded, but fittings thick enough are not functionally affected adversely.

In reply to #4

12/17/2017 7:19 PM

The OP asked about heat exposure, not UV resistance.

My comments were directed at the heat exposure the plumbing would be exposed to on a hot summer day in Arizona, probably approaching 140°F or more.

Since we don't have any idea where the OP will use his pvc 610 plastic sheet, I offered a real life example instead of a heat exposure table from some tech data sheet.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

12/17/2017 10:58 PM

"... probably approaching 140°F or more...."

Come on. This is filled with pool water and not covered as you previously said. Even that day it was 124 °F your white water filled pvc plumbing (that isn't under glass) isn't 'approaching 140°F or more'.

If trying to make your comment seem serious/legitimate requires that much of a stretch, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to disparage comments other make. Being ridiculous doesn't make your comment seem any more relevant or useful.

In reply to #7

12/17/2017 11:01 PM

You really aren't very bright, are you?

You. obviously don't understand how above ground pools are plumbed, do you?

You, again, insist on having the last word in order to prove your superior intelligence.

Sometimes it is better to just stop trying than it is to continue to respond and remove all doubt as to your lack of understanding.

And please do not ask me to explain how plumbing that is 2-3 feet above the level of the pool water may be empty when the pump is not running!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

12/17/2017 11:11 PM

"...You really aren't very bright, are you?..."

Not to you, Dunning-Kruger.

The pool being higher doesn't make the water level lower. If your ugly pool is already 3 feet out of the ground, why would you raise the ugly plumbing above that? Just for the neighbors enjoyment?

Despite all you hand waving, it is still a white pvc pipe outside with temps well below what you propose. Justify away.

In reply to #9

12/18/2017 12:41 AM

I misspoke. The pool is IN the ground.

The plumbing is above the pool, and the water level.

My apologies for this error.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

12/18/2017 12:43 AM

Fair enough.

It is very likely that I also misspoke. The chances that an inground pool is an eyesore are markedly reduced from the chances an above ground pool is an eyesore. I retract the assertion made about the pool being ugly.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 756

12/17/2017 6:23 PM

WAG R value < 1.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 706

12/18/2017 3:23 AM

Among the possibilities are:

• Google it
  • Ask a colleague
  • Experimental test
  • Look it up in some standard reference
  • Look it up in the manufacturer's published information
  • Telephone the manufacturer, and ask.

It is not the role of this forum to assess skills, competence or determination in these areas.

The relevance of the <...Thickness 0.49 m.m...> is currently abstruse.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 756
In reply to #12

12/18/2017 4:34 AM

If thermal conductivity is in question, the matter of thickness is not abstruse at all.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 706
In reply to #13

12/19/2017 5:05 AM

Thermal conductivity is not a function of thickness.

On the other hand, thermal flux is.

Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 207

12/18/2017 5:11 AM

I suggest to find and contact the manufacturer.

While it may be sold as PVC sheeting, each supplier would have their own "additive x" for durability, heat stabilisation, thermal stability, etc.

I've seen glass fibres (flame smoothed and rough), talc, glass beads and even other plastics used as fillers to obtain higher heat stability. Then you get into pigments (like TiOxide previously mentioned) for UV stability. but also heat reflection and dissipation.

Next is orientation relative to extrusion/blowing/moulding. The particle orientation might be such that it is more stable in one axis than another.

for plastics, there is also a difference between "softening" and 'melting" with processing usually taking place somewhere between those.

You really do need to find the manufacturer details and contact them, or their local agent.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 220

12/18/2017 10:32 AM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

az native (1); JPool (1); Just an Engineer (1); lyn (4); PWSlack (2); Randall (1); Tornado (2); truth is not a compromise (4)

Previous in Forum: Foaming Agent of Soap   Next in Forum: Distinguish Two Pieces Of Mineral Magnetite As To Source

Advertisement