CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: 10kv Bus Bar pt Feeder   Next in Forum: Fire Pumps in Load List
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Active Contributor

Instrumentation Cable

12/28/2017 5:41 AM

I have a damper actuator which has a power supply requirement of 24V AC, and requires (0-10V)- 1 wire (AO) for modulating control and provides (0-10V)- 1 wire (AI).

Can I provide 2 pair cables for this Instrument.
a) First pair - 24V AC
b) Second pair (0-10V) - 1 wire for AO and another wire for AI (or) do I need to provide separate pairs for both AI and AO.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 18

Re: Instrumentation Cable

12/28/2017 10:21 AM

Any Circuit needs 2 paths/conductors/wires between the power and the load.

Somewhere there is a return/(-)/common for each of the analog signals.

You need 2 wires for the AO and 2 wires for the AI, even if they share a common return.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 707

12/28/2017 10:54 AM

The original equipment manufacturer's instruction leaflet that came with it will say. If it is not to hand, telephone the manufacturer to obtain a replacement.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 778

12/28/2017 12:29 PM

I've long admired the cleverness and simplicity of Dallas Semiconductor's 1-Wire digital communication. I still dislike the misleading, misnomer name. What you have is obviously not strictly a 1-wire device since it requires a separate power supply and involves two analog signals. Refer to the manufacturer's user manual.

Good Answers: 1155

12/28/2017 3:05 PM

12/29/2017 1:55 AM

The original equipment manufacturer's instruction leaflet that came with it will say.

Good Answers: 6

12/29/2017 5:02 AM

If both (a)common of the analog AO and AI circuits and (b)neutral of the 24 VAC supply are connected together, then you can provide two 2-pair cables as you describe.

Register to Reply

Good Answers: 1

12/29/2017 8:40 AM

For instrumentation control like you describe, one cable is sufficient, having 4 conductors (twisted pairs), 24AWG. One pair for 24VDC, the other for AO/A1 as you implied. Belden, Alpha, and others make similar products. Ex. Belden 9502.

Register to Reply
Participant

12/29/2017 1:37 PM

Consider Luminary cable!

I happen to have a sample with the following marking:

Kaf-Tech 800-757-6996

MC Luminary Multi Zone Lite

Type MC-PCS Metal-Clad Cable

part number 18LC-44-501

12-3/16-2 (2TPJ)

Luminary cable is now commonly used where 0-10VDC lighting controls are needed in addition to AC power.

Register to Reply
Participant

01/01/2018 11:50 AM

It depends on noise and how the cable is structured. Its the cable under ground coming to the actuator or is conduit running up to it in a non class or zone.

Either way noise could be an issue. Noisy cable can take away from a perfectly calibrated instrument. 24 VAC is one cable and signal control and feedback is can be another cable. If there is not enough of room for a two cable assembly, then consider using one cable for both. Twisted pair for signal conditional side.

Need more help? Need help with your actuator for free? Follow Link

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bud (1); johnwhitcraft (1); jpsherman1 (1); kumarpradeep (1); pgmmaser (1); PWSlack (1); redfred (1); SolarEagle (1); Zvi (1)

Previous in Forum: 10kv Bus Bar pt Feeder   Next in Forum: Fire Pumps in Load List

Advertisement