CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Art From The Big Planet   Next in Forum: Anybody Get a Standing Desk for Christmas?
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 632

Nano Drone/Quadcopter

01/09/2018 9:13 AM

I was given a Cheerson CX10 nano quad copter for Christmas. It gave hours of fun before finally getting carried over the house by a gust of wind and crash landing, after which one motor ceased to function . (Probably pcb damage rather than the actual motor)
They are ridiculously cheap at about £10 ! dunno how they can even make the transmitter for that!
It was a little bit twitchy whilst learning to fly it, but it's great fun indoors or on a still day outside. It provides good entertainment for cats too as they have trouble deciding if it is prey or a predator!
The technology is mind blowing compared with what was available when I was messing with radio control in my twenties.
Loads of You tube vids about 'em so I won't bother posting pics.
I've kept the old one for spares and immediately ordered another online (one of the slightly more expensive models).
Trust me and treat yourself to one
Del

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 266

Re: Nano Drone/Quadcopter

01/09/2018 9:26 AM

Agree with all your points.

I bought one for myself a while ago, about $25 USD.

Grandkids came to visit, the toy device was usurped.

Fun while it lasted!

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 707

01/09/2018 9:49 AM

What on earth does a cat need one of those for? (only jealous)

They are great for target practice!

<...crash landing...> Remember to protect one's liability for injury/death and property damage with suitable insurance cover before launching!

Good Answers: 1596

01/09/2018 9:52 AM

I could never seem to master flying those things, even though the kids had no problem.

Finally, in desperation, and maybe pity,my wife bought an idiot proof drone for me.

(DJI Mavic Pro) Usual disclaimer.

The technology has come a long way (and so has the price) but these machines can no longer be considered toys. There are many less expensive, excellent drones out there too.

I won't post any videos from the drone either, but it is quite amazing, and has erased any thoughts I once had that these were "just toys." Watching July 4th fireworks from 200 feet up was a blast.

I know there are other drone pilots that are members here, too.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 156

01/09/2018 11:41 AM

Please don't take this the wrong way!

Must you really "drone" on about it? LOL

I might take your advice.

Might be a really interesting tool for mapping a hazardous spill zone! Or it might crash and set off a plethora of B.L.E.V.E. producing fires?

The right sensors on that thing could map out a chemical vapor plume, or show the extent of a spill, or other key information about a site can be gleaned in short time.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 221

01/09/2018 12:12 PM

Thanks, now I have to get one knowing it will drive my cats nuts. Got to do something to get back at them for all those 3am, wake up and pet me nights.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #5

01/09/2018 1:28 PM

I am a co-sufferer of feline-induced sleep deprivation disorder. Why do they always decide they want to go out at 3 am? It appears to be a universal behavior, because we together have at least 2 coincident incidences, that cannot possibly be anecdotal evidence, now can it?

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 221
In reply to #6

01/09/2018 1:52 PM

I don't let my cats out but am awoken quite frequently around 3am, whether it be cat shenanigans, or time for a petting. Must be something in their internal clocks that most cats are up at that time.

Good Answers: 603

01/09/2018 2:51 PM

I got my first drone a year ago Christmas, and like you, I flew it on a windy day. Before I realized what was happening it was too far away and wouldn't come back, an expensive lesson learned.

I drove around the neighborhoods in the direction it had disappeared, using my phone to look for the wifi broadcast from the camera, but to no avail.

Well, I ordered a replacement and now I have a spare controller and prop blades from the first one. Live and learn.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 36

01/10/2018 12:04 PM

I have four Eachine 010s with upgraded Strix motors and Beecore controllers. They are full FPV with cameras and transmitters that work with my Taranis 9X radio and Quantum DIY goggles.

With upgraded motors/batt/props my machines can fly indoors or out in light wind. Major fun any weather, and really good for keeping up the skills for flying the bigger models. The little ones with Beecore controllers run Cleanflight just like my big birds.

I would highly suggest to any one getting into this hobbie to Start with the little guys and work your way up. The Taranis and the Goggles are the biggest expense, but they work with anything including cars, boats and planes. The Inductrix/E010 copters are well supported with upgrade parts and can be made to run just like a large (250) FPV racer.

I have an extra radio (Turnigy 9x) and goggles so I can race around the house with a buddy. Lots of fun, especially with cats around.

In reply to #9

01/11/2018 9:04 AM

Why do you need goggles? To protect your eyes?

How big are you big birds? Can they launch a LIDAR package?

In reply to #10

01/11/2018 10:43 AM

The goggles are for First Person View through the camera on board the copter. It's like flying VR but in the real world in real time. If you haven't flown FPV then you are missing out on piloting your craft from the craft itself! It is a blast. Better than video games because all the crap that can crash you really crashes you! (this is what make the little guys so fun and usefull, put them right side up again and keep going. They don't break as easily as the big birds.)

My biggest bird on the bench right now is a OctoX8 with two flight controllers. It might not lift a LIDAR package but it might lift the cat. Though it is meant to lift batteries and keep them up there for two hours and two miles out and back. That is the goal anyway. My buddy has a Hex that spins 6x12" props and can get to about 45min and a mile and a half out.

These two could be used for mapping and inspection commercially but are built to push the limits of our money for fun. How far and for how long can you fly a battery for $1000?

In reply to #11

01/11/2018 12:02 PM

Bout 4-5 miles with one like I have, or further, if you dare.

Or, for another $3-400 USD you can get a range extender and go "to infinity and beyond".

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

01/11/2018 3:02 PM

I have a dish antenna with a yagi feed that will give me quite a bit of range but getting a large copter to fly that far and back without dropping out of the sky is not so easy. What do you have that you can fly out 4-5 miles?

Is that under direct control or a pre-programed flight path?

In reply to #14

01/11/2018 3:10 PM

I have a Mavic Pro, but I've never personally flown more than a 1/4 mile away before I brought it home. In town, I'm mindful of the line of sight rule, mostly.

I have a friend who claims 3 miles of controlled flight with his and I believe him.

There are articles and posts of up to 6 miles, but no personal verification of such.

I'm sure yours are much more sophisticated.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

01/11/2018 3:25 PM

Mine are home built. My buddy and I have set a goal of 2mi out and back and 2hrs airborne with full control and telemetry. The one I have on the bench right now I call Frankencopter as it is made from 4 cheap-azz 9053s! I am experimenting with parallel flight controllers on this model. It has one controller flying one set of props, and the other flying the other set. Neither controller knows the other one exists. Either controller/propset can fly the machine by itself. They both receive the same inputs from the radio, but they have their own internal gyros and accelerometers etc and can have one or two other outputs and controls independent of each other.

In reply to #16

01/11/2018 3:27 PM

Now I understand why you need goggles. At two miles you can't the quadcopter, or which way it is going, so if you are "in the cockpit", you know the terrain, maybe, and can see where you are and where you are going.

In reply to #17

01/11/2018 3:48 PM

Well, the goggles are more a whiz-bang luxury for the big dogs and those with lots of money.

This is an example of the basic smart phone set-up I use. You have a camera's eye view and a street map inset with GPS location data. You can toggle back and forth between them. My drone has an "idiot button" which will automatically bring it home and hover it above the original take-off spot if you push it. It also automatically returns home when the battery gets to a point of discharge, before it drops out of the sky.

I'm sure Deefburger can explain it all a lot better.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

01/11/2018 3:51 PM

I was going to get into RF models a few years ago, and quickly realized I would have to chose between that and eating.

A friend of mine (a retired exec from United Airlines), bought himself a 1/12 scale P-51, had it all assembled, and had lots hours RC fly time with other models. He took it up and made a bone-headed move during coast down to landing, and he vaporized $5000.

In reply to #11

01/11/2018 1:19 PM

I saw Underground Archeology, or something like that on Science Channel episode, where the "investigators" were contracted with a couple of fellows who had a LIDAR platform what was a powerful quadcopter. They were looking for ancient copper mine pits in the UP of Michigan (the area noted are large deposits of native copper).

Interestingly, this native copper was traded all up and down the Mississippi River Basin in the time period of about 2000-1500 B.C.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Deefburger (4); Doorman (1); James Stewart (6); JPool (2); lyn (4); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1)

Previous in Forum: Art From The Big Planet   Next in Forum: Anybody Get a Standing Desk for Christmas?

Advertisement