CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Nano Drone/Quadcopter   Next in Forum: NVIDIA's CES 2018 Event in Less Than 10 Minutes
Close
Close
Close
36 comments
Active Contributor

Anybody Get a Standing Desk for Christmas?

01/09/2018 11:09 AM

I did! And while it may not sound like the most fun or romantic present, I was excited to try it out.

You may recall that the standing desk craze followed news stories proclaiming that sitting was the new smoking, and those of us who sat most of the day were shaving precious years off our lives.

This was followed by the inevitable backlash, which proclaimed standing for any length of time is not so great for our health either.

Eventually, as it did for Goldilocks, a happy medium emerged. The key to better health is essentially mixing it up. Moving is preferable to not moving, so even while standing at a desk, shifting your weight from time to time – resting one foot and then the other on a step stool, for example – is preferable to standing still. Alternating between sitting and standing prevents fatigue in either position. Plus, simply the act of getting from sitting to standing and vice versa is beneficial.

A quick search on Amazon.com reveals a plethora of standing desk options. Most sit atop a traditional desk, some stand on the floor. Some switch from standing to sitting. Others, like mine, adjust for height but are essentially always for standing; when you want to sit, you have to move it from your desk or work area. They vary in size, style, material, mechanics and, of course, price. (If you’re really ambitious, you might like a treadmill desk!)

Mine is pretty basic. It has a hydraulic height adjustment mechanism (the kind on many office chairs), a roomy work surface that accommodates my laptop with space for my phone, a notepad and my eyeglass case. And, most important of all, it has a cup holder. I find that I can keep the standing desk on one side of my regular desk so that I can sit facing one way, and stand facing the opposite way, without having to move the standing desk.

After taking it out of the box and giving it a whirl, so to speak, I did a little research and discovered that a few accessories are required: some type of step stool (as mentioned above) and an anti-fatigue mat. I happened to have a wooden step stool that works fine for resting my feet and shifting my weight. Rather than invest in a fancy mat right away, I’ve been standing on a folded up yoga mat. So far so good. My husband ordered a balance contraption for me to try, and I imagine I will alternate between that and simply standing on the mat.

When I’m standing, I find I stretch more, occasionally doing squats or reverse lunges as well as arm stretches – all of which I believe are effective.

If you’re new to standing, start gradually. Some experts suggest standing no more than 20 minutes per hour. Others recommend alternating every hour. Either way, work up to it and change positions before fatigue sets in.

The takeaways, in a nutshell, seem to be that sitting and standing both have their benefits and drawbacks, and moving from time to time throughout the day is better than not moving at all.

If you regularly sit for long periods, but a standing desk is not in your future, there are exercises you can do that will help your posture and prevent fatigue in your neck, shoulders and lower back. Getting up to stretch and walk around is helpful too.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 346

Re: Anybody Get a Standing Desk for Christmas?

01/09/2018 11:29 AM

Girl that works across from me, just got one. Her back was hurting so the company bought her one... she enjoys it...

One thing if you seat through the day, a sedentary lifestyle is bad.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 14

01/09/2018 11:31 AM

I like the simplicity and adjustability of this platform. Before IEEE GlobalSpec moved to our new office, we had two or three standing desks. Few of us had laptops, which meant you were tied to a workstation, whether in your office, a meeting room, or the standing desks. Public standing desks have downsides, like lack of privacy, but as a break from sitting and a place to work on non-secret stuff, they're fine.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #2

01/09/2018 12:02 PM

Although I have a standard desk in my office and have been considering this; our main engineering bull pin uses tall 8' x 8' cubicles and they have the hanger rails so you can set your working surface at any height and many employees have their desk surfaces set high and alternate between standing or siting on a bar stool type seat; best of both worlds I suppose.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 220
In reply to #2

01/09/2018 12:08 PM

Is there a lot of secret stuff going at CR4??

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

In reply to #4

01/09/2018 2:13 PM

If I answered that question I'd have to ban you from CR4 forever .

Seriously, CR4 is one of many responsibilities all the moderators/administrators have. Some stuff is more private than other stuff.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 220
In reply to #9

01/09/2018 2:21 PM

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 156
In reply to #9

01/09/2018 2:53 PM

Some tasks are more equal than the other equal tasks.

Good Answers: 1594
In reply to #4

01/09/2018 3:50 PM

Probably.

Today, [IEEE] is the world's largest association of technical professionals with more than 420,000 members in over 160 countries around the world. Its objectives are the educational and technical advancement of electrical and electronic engineering, telecommunications, computer engineering and allied disciplines.

It's a LOT more than CR4.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #12

01/09/2018 3:55 PM

Yeah, no duh!

Thanks for the reminder, though.

In reply to #12

01/09/2018 4:29 PM

We aren't IEEE -- they bought us as an investment -- but we do collaborate with them. One of many advantages this gives us is access to abstracts of their xPlore library -- now available in Engineering360's reference collection. Our two organizations have to be careful not to compromise IEEE's nonprofit status. So far, though, it's been good for both of us.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1594
In reply to #14

01/09/2018 7:41 PM

Wrong, again.

Thanks for the clarification.

Register to Reply
Guru

01/09/2018 1:26 PM

Our ancestors, including Thomas Jefferson, one of the Founding Fathers, used writing desks where they stood while penning tomes, declarations, legal documents, love letters, or poems, or symphonies. Not all the time, but very frequently.

There has to be a balance in the matrix.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #5

01/09/2018 1:28 PM

Jimmy,... take seat.....

In reply to #6

01/09/2018 1:29 PM

...right after you, brother.

In reply to #7

01/09/2018 1:34 PM

ok... but only because your emoji's outnumber mine... And we have only one chair open.

Good Answers: 23

01/09/2018 11:45 PM

The nicest thing about standing desks is the company can reduce the size of an employees work area allowing them to move into a smaller building and with the workforce performing the same amount of work, the company can reap higher profits from the reduced cost of real estate.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #16

01/10/2018 7:55 AM

Not really. As I said, the idea isn't to stand all day instead of sitting. A mix of standing, sitting, walking and moving is ideal.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 118

01/10/2018 4:22 AM

Waaaay off topic. For years I suffered with a bad back caused by sitting at a computer desk for many hours per day. Then I got a "kneeling stool" and it solved the problem completely. Even though I am now technically retired I still spend too much time using a CAD package to design mobile sculptures and other projects semi sitting/kneeling. I had never heard of a standing desk before this post. Now that I know what it is, I still won't be buying or making one.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

01/10/2018 8:24 AM

Haven't seen one of those kneeling stools in a long time but I've had friends who swore by them. At least we know a lot more now about ergonomic design and the importance of not staying in any position for hours and hours.

Any pix of your sculptures? Are you another Alexander Calder?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

01/10/2018 9:13 AM

They've been around for over 20 years...

how'd that get there....

In reply to #20

01/10/2018 9:21 AM

That looks interesting. Good for posture. Is your weight on the seat or on your knees or a combination?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

01/10/2018 9:25 AM

Combination of weight distribution with the biggest improvement is a better posture. One began seeing this on the market with the unset of PC's back in the 80's

In reply to #22

01/10/2018 9:52 AM

Hmm... I did not see the motorcycle earlier. I assume we are still talking about the chair.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

01/10/2018 9:59 AM

yes... the chair.... I always wanted to try thechair,.. when they first came out,... there was a negative stigma about using it... but now my knees are started to go and wondering if the extra weight to the knees whether it would be good or not... also the issue I see is that it would be like sitting down or leaving a picnic table when you seated in the middle.

In reply to #24

01/10/2018 10:07 AM

I was wondering about weight on the knees too. Unlike the standing desk or even a regular chair, that one seems to keep you in one position. Again, though, I think the key is mixing it up -- not staying in one position all day.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 118
In reply to #25

01/10/2018 11:31 AM

The weight is not transferred to the knees, more the top of the shins. The photograph does not show it well but behind the girl's ankles there is a strut which can be adjusted in length. Changing the height tailors the stool to the sitter's individual requirements. It is not difficult to get on or off either. I find it extremely comfortable and would recommend anyone who sits at a terminal or desk for long periods to try one. The IKEA furniture chain are now stocking them worldwide.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #26

01/10/2018 11:37 AM

Thanks for clarifying. I would definitely be interested in checking one out. I do like my standing desk, but this could be a good sitting option.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

01/10/2018 11:55 AM

I would like to see a short video clip of someone getting off a thechair kneeling chair stool, and falling down going boom, sort like the little fellow on the tricycle in the rain suit hitting the telephone pole and fall over going boom (ref. Rowan and Martin's Laugh In).

In reply to #20

01/10/2018 11:50 AM

In Texas, we call that multi-tasking, and she apparently is great at it.

In reply to #17

01/10/2018 11:59 AM

And this just reminded me of the time I tried using a huge ball as a seat. the idea is that you engage various muscles in order to stay upright. I managed to defeat that purpose pretty quickly. Ultimately gave the chair away. Anyone else every use one?

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #30

01/10/2018 12:03 PM

I tried just using my exercise ball as a seat but it's not the right height for my desk and because of that would most likely cause more problems than it would solve!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #30

01/10/2018 12:09 PM

the idea is that you engage various muscles in order to stay upright.

won't be long,... and Bowflex will introduce their new office chair of tomorrow.

In reply to #32

01/10/2018 12:23 PM

Some desk chairs are actually exercise bikes.

And check out this one!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

01/10/2018 12:32 PM

Even though I posted it as tongue in cheek... with just a tad bit of seriousness

When I dislocated my ankle ... I was given a type of wobble board to retrain my ankles to know what postilion my feet are in that I had under my desk...

if that second picture link had wheels one would be close to having your own Shelbot...

What's a Shelbot you may ask...

In reply to #33

01/10/2018 1:41 PM

I can't wait until bean counters decide that one must pedal to power that desktop.

The ultimate comfort: your water-cooled laptop totally impervious to immersion even in seawater. You float in the lagoon, working away, while sipping Mai Tai, etc. You are totally oblivious to the small Tsunami coming your way, but all it well, your laptop alerts you by sensors of what is taking place...in...time...to... RUN!!!

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #30

01/15/2018 11:11 AM

Not a Ball Chair, but one gym in the area has this:

Tried it once, too much going on for me.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (6); James Stewart (7); JavaHead (2); jhhassociates (2); JPool (2); lyn (2); Mindful Monkey (6); phoenix911 (8); tonyhemet (1)

Previous in Forum: Nano Drone/Quadcopter   Next in Forum: NVIDIA's CES 2018 Event in Less Than 10 Minutes

Advertisement