CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Demand Factor and Coincidence Factor?   Next in Forum: Standard Limit for Leakage Current
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Active Contributor

Interposing Relays

01/10/2018 1:43 PM

I want to get ON/OFF/TRIP status from my switchgear to the PLC. The PLC also issues ON/OFF commands to the switchgear.
The issue here is the status signals are of 24V DC and the command signals are of 120V AC and I would like to have all the signals in the same cable.
To overcome this, I plan to deploy a Interposing relay in the switchgear that will get energised by 24V DC. My question is if there are any problem by deploying Interposing relay in the switchgear for this purpose.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 706

Re: Interposing Relays

01/10/2018 2:10 PM

<...any problem by deploying Interposing relay in the switchgear for this purpose...> That would depend upon the applicable local standards, which cannot be read from here. However, what is proposed in the original post is commonplace, as it is best practice to segregate the two styles of signal.

Good Answers: 182

01/10/2018 6:39 PM

An interposing relay is normally used to allow a command signal to operate a device which requires a higher current or higher/lower voltage.

I'm not sure of the problem you are facing, whether you need the relay for that purpose, or it is the inclusion of differing voltages in the same cable that is concerning you?.

In most jurisdictions, wiring carrying different voltages, in your case ELV with LV may be enclosed in the same cable or trunking provided the lower voltage wires are insulated to the voltage level of the highest voltages present in the cable or trunk

If your concern is that interference from one set of wires may inadvertently trigger a false signal in the other set, then the relay may not overcome that, and separate cables may be the only solution.

Good Answers: 99

01/10/2018 10:54 PM

Selk,

If your switchgear has a section or compartment for this purpose then I don't see any problem with the question of making modifications that are not approved by the manufacturer. Whatever you end up doing, please do it safely! In the USA the most recent publication of the NFPA 70E has a much more explicit requirement to de-energize unless there are some very clear exceptions, and then the documenting of the safety plans is clearly required with approval from many levels.

--JMM

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 1

01/11/2018 12:15 AM

I assume your switchgear is reporting status to the PLC via auxiliary contacts (vs a data communication network). In that case, you may introduce a separate interposing relay panel and just run wires from the switchgear to the new panel. That way, modification of the switchgear is minimal.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 706

01/11/2018 9:41 AM

<...would like to have all the signals in the same cable...> An alternative would be to use some sort of multiplexer or bus system, which would satisfy the <...same cable...> criterion.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 156

01/11/2018 9:51 AM

I do not see any reason why not, as long as this interposing relay has the required isolation value to it.

24VDC status/switching signals are not all that unusual, and neither is 120 VAC command signal. Make sure you follow the NFPA 70E guidelines (as pointed out by others), and follow your local codes.

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

01/12/2018 1:47 PM

The answer to your question begs for more specifications such as cable length, level of total harmonic distortion in the power line, average distance between conductors, etc.

In general, most PLC's will have some level of over voltage protection on the input cards else they would be a lot less popular.

In terms of mixing AC and DC signal lines in a single cable, the PLC world has it best. Because of the 24 Volt signal level used in a PLC, the signal to noise ratio is very high. In lower voltage circuits (TTL and below) the signal to noise signal is higher because the signals are much lower to start with.

I'm curious how you are detecting a "TRIP" but some equipment has a spare contact for that purpose. Otherwise, as others have said, be extremely careful around live or energized equipment. Better safe than dead.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (1); jmueller (1); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); PWSlack (2); seg (1); spades (1)

Previous in Forum: Demand Factor and Coincidence Factor?   Next in Forum: Standard Limit for Leakage Current

Advertisement