the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

17 comments
Commentator

TIG Welding - Shield Gas Pressure

11/07/2007 8:07 AM

Hi,

Whats the shield gas (Argon) typical pressure at which machine TIG welding is performed?

Thnks!

Vscid

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: TIG
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

Re: TIG Welding - Shield Gas Pressure

11/07/2007 8:38 AM

Well, at the point it comes out of the nozzle, it is atmospheric! You need to be looking at the flow, not the pressure. The flow must be sufficient to cause a local atmosphere in the region of the weld that has a distinct absence of oxygen in it.

Have you talked to an experienced welder about this question?

In reply to #1

11/07/2007 8:59 AM

no, i mean whats the pressure when it comes out of the tank and flows inside the tube?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #2

11/07/2007 9:16 AM

Well, it will vary depending on the quantity of Argon left in the tank. That's what the cylinder regulator is for - to take out that variable.

You really need to talk to the person who sets the equipment up to answer this one. Get him/her to show you!

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 588
In reply to #2

11/07/2007 9:24 AM

It will vary along the tube with position, and will vary at any position with flowrate. As it leaves the nozzle it is at atmospheric. Everything else is probably of academic interest only.

In reply to #2

11/07/2007 9:16 PM

The max pressure of the Agron gas is usually 15kgf/cm2 for LPG tank, and 150 kgf/cm2 for compressed gas. And you have to use the regulator combined with flowmeter before the gase flowing into the TIG welding machine. And the pressure after regulator is 2~3 kgf/cm2. Therefore the pressure of shield gas is aprx. 1.5~2 kgf/cm2.

11/08/2007 5:11 AM

with tig welding use a regulator with a flow meter on it. This will reduce the cylinder pressure. The flow meter can then be adjusted for what ever application you are using by adjusting the knob on the side of the regulator. To much flow will waste your sheilding gas, in this case argon and can pull in atmospheric gas from the sides. Not enough flow will not properly shield the weld puddle resulting in porosity in the weld. As for the flow settings it has been a while and I cant give you a straight answer. Call any welding supplier and they will be able to tell you or email info@ramweldingsupply.com I hope this helps.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #6

11/08/2007 6:51 AM

the flow meter normally is set between 25 and 30 psi With the flow meter shown read it at the top of the ball

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 53

11/08/2007 7:14 AM

TIG welding is normally performed from ambient atmospheric pressure to about 1.0 inch H2O above ambient. Welds made in a slightly elevated pressure are done in a glove box which is filled with inert gas. In all cases, the process is designed to be performed at, or close to atmospheric pressure.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - pipewelder

Good Answers: 33

11/08/2007 9:07 AM

I tend to do 20-30 cfm on carbon steel and a little higher on stainless and/or windy conditions. I find that using around 35-45 cfm on stainless seems to have a slight cooling effect and enables me to get better color from the weld. The only time I use allot of pressure is when purging really long runs of stainless I have an oxygen regulator tricked out to fit argon bottle to achieve around 10 psi. not sure why this works but it does, when I do this I use a large liquid bottle.

pipewelder

In reply to #9

11/08/2007 9:17 AM

pipe welder,

did u mean 20-30 cfh instead of cfm??

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - pipewelder

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #10

11/08/2007 9:19 AM

Yeah I do, my bad.

piupewelder

In reply to #10

11/08/2007 9:25 AM

I also meant cfh not psi. not enough coffee

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 38

11/08/2007 9:49 AM

20 to 30 PSI to start. The more you weld the better you'll be at adjusting the pressure for a clean line. Adjust pressure up or down till desired seam is attained.

11/08/2007 10:16 AM

I am actually using a solenoid valve between my argon tank and my weld torch.

The valve needs to switch flow between 2 weld torches, alternately.

How do I size my valve? What should be my flow and pressure rating?

Thanks for all the rplies!

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 17

11/08/2007 11:34 AM

Irrespective of the Argon Cylinder pressure which is adjusted through the regulator the outlet flow rate controlled through the flow meter is very important for shielding. It varies depending upon the current selected metals used.

For example, for welding SS, CS, AS etc. the flow rate could be any where between 8 to 10 or 12 LPM (liters per minute) as the Tungsten Electrode size used is generally 2.00 & 2.40 mm and ampere selected is lower. Compared to it for TIG Welding of Aluminum, the electrode used is 3.20 or 4.00 mm to get good fusion and flow rate is higher to 12 to 16 LPM.

Purging is always lesser than the shielding rate and is in between 4 to 8 LPM on an average and sufficient to give quality bead at the root..

Beyond a limit & depending upon the current (amps) usage, excessive flow rate will not help for shielding or purging but goes as wastage in the atmosphere.

Sridhar.

Good Answers: 1

11/08/2007 6:29 PM

When I was younger I laying down on a large SS wall panel fusing the seam. not wearing gloves when I stuck the filler wire to the tungsten it grounded out my pants zipper. I thought I had blown my balls off.

In reply to #16

08/28/2009 1:25 AM

Dude, I'm sure you did.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 17 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); benemy (2); charsley99 (1); Horrible Old Bat (2); nam70 (1); pipewelder (2); PWSlack (1); rustyh2o (1); SRIDHAR (1); vscid (1); welderman (1)

Previous in Forum: Heat Storage   Next in Forum: Vent-Hole Sizing
You might be interested in: Welding Accessories, Welding, Brazing and Soldering Equipment, Welding Gases and Thermal Process Gases