CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: What Label material resists steel abrasion from guitar strings?   Next in Forum: Sapkal R.S.
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

19 comments
Active Contributor

Searching for a metal to OSB contact bond adhesive

02/11/2008 8:52 PM

Hello All,

I am involved with a company that manufactures Structural Insulated Panels for the residential and commercial construction. In some projects we specify one skin of our panel as a galvanized steel. When using a steel skin we must first etch the surface that will be on the foam side and also primer the foam side surface prior to foam injection. This process is time intensive and problematic in that any miscalculation with the steel sizing and the panel is ruined and must be thrown out. For each project we assume a certain amount of panel failures due to unforseen problems.

To me this is unacceptable so I am looking for a way to change our process.

One thing we do well is our OSB-Foam-OSB panels. Quality is good and panel strength is excellent. I would like to find an extremely durable and cost efficient bonding adhesive to apply galv. steel, aluminum and other metals to the OSB surface after the foam injection process.

Does anyone have a good reliable source for the adhesive I am after.

Regards,

PA

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 2

Re: Searching for a metal to OSB contact bond adhesive

02/12/2008 9:15 AM

Hi M68,

If you could say what OSB is, maybe I can help. (When I was in the Army, it was the Operations Service Building).

Best Regards,

Mike

02/12/2008 10:14 AM
Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

02/12/2008 11:24 PM

You can try our comany Henkel, which is now the world's largest adhesives technologies company, with solutions for every type of application.

Best Regards,

George Pieratos

Asia Pacific Business Manager - Polymer Composites

Mobile : +86 1391 6620961

Register to Reply
Associate

02/13/2008 6:33 AM

Give me a little more information!

What is the Galvanized spec's G40 G60 ????? and assure it is not galvaneal.

There are methods to prepare the metal for foam adhesion other then painting.

You may want to contact someone who has had experience with this, since these are structural panels.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - I am a Yankee Doodle Boy. Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Old School is the best school. Safety - ESD - Safety Mgr that keeps the peace Hobbies - DIY Welding - My Motto:

Good Answers: 23

02/13/2008 8:01 AM

Don't know if you have tried it or not but Liquid Nails in my experience bonds to practically everything, even glass!

If the surfaces are clean it should work, but heck I have used it to glue sheet-metal to cement.

OSB or Oriented Strand Board I believe, Is porous enough that the Liquid Nails will adhere nicely. If you clean the oils off the sheet-metal with a bit of alcohol or solvent wash should allow for good adhesion to the metal.

What the heck give it a try if you haven't already.

That'll be 5 dollars per panel for consultation fees.

02/13/2008 9:08 AM

Hey PA

bonding foam to metal is always tricky. usually the metal has processing oils which must be removed and do not allow the foam to bond. additionally, in your case, the galvanize usually contains tin which is one of the strongest catalyst for the urethane reaction, this is most likely the reason you have to clean and paint

it might be possible to to use a filmed adhesive which eliminate the steps

or a one part polyurethane dispersion (PUD)

for the Film i would contact Avery and the PUD Chemtura or Bayer

i hope this helps - let me know if you need contacts and i will dig thru some old files

cbs

PS -- i miss NC!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

02/13/2008 9:20 AM

Good morning,

You can call FLEXcon Performance Products at 508-885-8400 for a technical service representative or our northern California sales rep Sherry Bettencourt at 408-298-8791.

FLEXcon Performance Products manufactures adhesives to meet customers needs, so if we don't have a stock product that meets your needs we can create a solution for you.

Thank you,

Shirley Monte, Business Development Manager 508-826-4646

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

02/13/2008 9:23 AM

Good morning again,

My eyes are clearly not working this morning as you are in North Carolina and not northern California. You can contact our North Carolina rep Rich Bonnell at 704-277-9920.

Thanks,

Shirley Monte FLEXcon

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 1

02/13/2008 10:24 AM

Sometimes the best anwser is simple. I use contact cement for all kinds of repairs. You can buy it by the gallon (or probably drum).

I had a partial gallon of glue used to install counter tops in a kitchen, which I think is just plain contact cement.

I have used this to bond everything, even in wet envionments. As you know, you usually coat one surface on each part, wait for the glue to set up, then press them together. This is one of the best bonds I have ever found. The trick might be to get the cement to stick to each part. Its usually no problem to get the cured glue surfaces to stick to each other. You might also get your steel plate very clean. You can also try to roughen or surface grind the steel surface .

Good Luck

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 162
In reply to #9

02/14/2008 4:41 AM

I agree, that works well but only when you have a really large area bonded!

Small areas do not work well.....

02/13/2008 8:13 PM

Thank you everyone for your help.

The Galv steel is G90. Sheet is ribbed at 12" c/c so I only have that 12" contact. I will get in touch with all of the reps you have provided.

One of the problems with the sheet steel bonded to the foam in the SIP is a loss of strenght due to the failure of the steel under loads...vertical, transverse and shear. OSB to OSB is almost near twice as strong, however our clients want the finished surface and they also want the strenght of OSB. So I would like to bond the sheet steel to the OSB after the panel are injected and right before I ship to minimize damage.

Inserting the additional process is going add cost to production so I need a process that will be efficient and effective...now and in the long term.

Best Regards,

Pete A

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 162
In reply to #10

02/14/2008 4:43 AM

Let us know if you achieve it please and I wish you well in your search. You have had a lot of good info from CR4 posters!!

So no excuse for failing!!

Good Answers: 3

02/14/2008 10:39 AM

I don't quite understand if you are injecting the foam to make a finished product or if you are joining pre-cast foam to the metals.

If the latter, sandblast the metal and use polyurethane (A.K.A "Gorilla") Glue after cleaning with a solvent or soap and water. Water is needed in the curing and it is truly strong. (I work at a helicopter blade manufacturing facility and see it used in many applications.) During curing, it foams some and fills in spaces well and doesn't require a lot of pressure. USE GLOVES and Safety Glasses! It will have to wear off if it get on your hands, fingers, or other parts of your body. Acetone removes it if used quick enough, but forget getting it out of your clothes.

http://www.gorillaglue.com/

http://www.excelglue.com/

Good Luck!

In reply to #13

02/14/2008 9:03 PM

Bill,

Presently we construct a hollow panel with sheet steel on one side and OSB on the other with removable spacers that hold the two surfaces apart at a given distance.. This hollow panel in then inserted to a press where it is injected with a polyeurathane foaming agent. The press holds the panels together under heat to maintain the pressures exerted by the expanding foam. In the process the foam bonds to the OSB and sheet steel. The bond of the foam to OSB is much greater then to the sheet steel...thus my search to find a way to improve the strength of our panels and still provide the steel surface the our clients desire.

I appreciate all of the leads you all have provided.

Thank you for your help I will keep you posted with my results.

Pete A

In reply to #14

02/15/2008 12:44 AM

I am now at a loss to understand why you only have 12" of contact if you are creating a SSIP. The process you explained should give full face contact on the Steel and OSB.

We have done this for many years on a continuous line, with both sides being Galvanized material, I can not see the difference a shot system as you explained would make.

But there is no adhesives or paint added to make it adhere to the substrate. Can not share this technology as it is proprietary.

There is a Company in Pa SC&ES that is very knowledgeable on out of the ordinary problems like this, he assisted us with our development of the current system.

Would supply his number but once he had the system up and running have not had reason to contact, and you know how easy it is to lose track of people you don't need any more.

May be in yellow pages????

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #15

02/15/2008 10:29 PM

With the steel sheet having a raised rib on 12" centers the contact being made is broken at 12" on the vertical with the sheet. When the sheet is used bonded to the foam directly in the injection process the panel has reduced structural ability. In bonding the steel to an OSB face I have the structure and the look. However at an extra production step.

I will find your guy in Penn.

Thanks.

02/15/2008 11:48 AM

I would suggest to proceed with caution, due to the difference in thermal linear expansion between the wood and your steel skin. There are adhesives avalible to accomplish what you are tring to change. Two part epoxies have been utilized for years to attach metal components to FRP and other substraits (Ashland's adhesive division is a excellent source).

My recommendation would be to look at foam suppliers for a foam formulation that will work in your current process. Foam Polyols can be formulated for greater adhesion capablities. I would suggest contacting, BASF, or Huntsman for thier formulating capablities.

Remember that one test does not make it so, confirm any results with a second trial utilizing production equipment, before making a decision after initial testing.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 93

02/17/2008 8:04 PM

In the past I was impressed with Gorrilla glue. For OSB to Steel the glue and the pressure process are likely to determine the standardized outcome you desire.

I suspect that to do it cheaply a convex and concave flip to flat process will produce the panel at most cheap for the chemicals required.

It is amazing that there are glues that bond molecules of organic and inorganic natures together.

Smashing things together does seem to work when the materials involved are less than perfect.

The Gorrilla glue is awesome, but it does need to be smashed out from its place, since it otherwise expands, bonding, but also deforming the work.

Obviously you are aiming for the least expensive and most reliable process.

OSB is manufactured with Urea and pressure on standard 4' by 8' panels from what I know.

Foil coated styrofoam may well lead you to a solution to your problem.

The product is sort of similar, and the process must have some corrillary information for what you are attempting.

10/16/2008 12:13 PM

Hello PA,

Did you find a solution to your problem? We have the same issue that you described and need a solution. Problem: glueing galvanized metal (G60) to OSB. Please help. Thanks,

Colorado

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 19 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); Anonymous Poster (6); Bill H. (1); Colorado (1); double_j_b (1); M68 (3); mikey (1); Senatorferrell (1); Transcendian (1); williebinger (2)

Previous in Forum: What Label material resists steel abrasion from guitar strings?   Next in Forum: Sapkal R.S.

Advertisement