CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: diff between panel and distribution board...   Next in Forum: Basic Variable Speed Motor/Switch
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

2 comments
Commentator

Comparison of Soft starters & Conventional motor starters

03/06/2008 11:02 PM

Dear Sir,

Could some one please explain me the Advantages & Disadvantages of having Soft starters instead of conventional auto transformer & star delta starter's?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 49

Re: Comparison of Soft starters & Conventional motor starters

03/07/2008 8:26 PM

You reduce your parts count. One soft-starter replaces three contactors (plus other peripheral devices).

Other advantages of using a soft-starter is the ability to choose the start up mode. Your soft-starter manual can explain those better than I can.

Then there's none of that annoying "THUD" as the contactors engage and disengage. I forget the number of times it made me jump while testing a 440V line.

In relation to that, the vibrations caused by contactors engaging and disengaging can accelerate loose connections in terminals. This is why we have "terminal tightening exercises" every few months or so.

Re: Comparison of Soft starters & Conventional motor starters

03/07/2008 11:28 PM

In addition to reduction of components and noise during starting, the starting current will also get reduced when compared to DOL starting or Star/Delta starting.

R.Thiagarajan.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 2 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: diff between panel and distribution board...   Next in Forum: Basic Variable Speed Motor/Switch

Advertisement