CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Rubber wood treament   Next in Forum: How to calculate volume HFC's or other propellant liquid in a aerosol can
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 2

50 kW Battery Pack

03/18/2008 3:11 AM

Does anyone know of a supplier for rechargable batteries in the kilowatt range? The finished array will supply 96-144 Volts at 200-500 Amperes. The lead plates in standard 12 Volt car batteries are too flimsy to handle the sustained high current levels I need. Six Volt lead-acid batteries have thicker plates so an array of sixteen or twenty-four 6V batteries does a better job handling sustained high power levels under deep discharge conditions. Unfortunately they don't hold up very well in high g impacts (car crash). I want to avoid "flooded" or wet batteries if possible. Thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 15

Re: 50 kW Battery Pack

03/18/2008 6:01 AM

You might want to look into the battery packs used in electric fork trucks used in stores and warehouses, they typically are 6V extreme service deep cycle.

Yes, I know you specified no wet pack, but I personally don't know of any gel cell batteries that can handle the requirements you need.

03/18/2008 11:15 PM

You can try contacting a battery manufacturer/supplier

Sonnenschein => www.mhpower.com.au (I think they have a distro in USA too)

http://www.sonnenschein.org

Yasa batteries...

You can get from "Sonnenschein" batteries with a 1 foot square top by about 3-4 foot high, 1.2/1.6V @ several hundred amps, with a pair of M12 bolt terminals for the +ve and a pair for the -ve

In reply to #2

03/20/2008 12:18 AM

Just to add, I worked for a company (previous company) that was later purchased by M+H Power, we designed the chargers for a NCC buoy that is floating on the North West Shelf of Australia.

When the designers were originally designing the structure (shaped like a very tall Wine bottle) a battery manufacturer advised them that their batteries don't gas on recharging, as they were recombination GEL batteries, so no ventilation was designed into the structure....

At the time I was sent there, they were cutting holes everywhere to try to fit in (last minute design change) ventilation piping, as when M+H got the job for supplying the batteries, they advised that all batteries GAS (vent, Hydrogen & Oxygen) and the original people who said otherwise were dangerously incorrect.

When they did a design calculation for the H/O release, they found that in 1 week, they'd have enough Hydrogen in the rooms, that opening the door by hand would ignite the room.

The battery stack included, 96 Sonnenschein 1.2V cells, 96 kg each, creating 48VDC the batteries were installed 2 at a time, using a crane and dropped in thru the top before the mast was installed.

So, please make sure, you install adequate ventilation....

03/18/2008 11:15 PM

We are the professional manufacturer from China.We can provide high power high capacity and high voltage battery packs. The capacity we can do is from 30AH to 1000AH 、10000AH for single cell. The voltage is from 3.6V to 12V 24V 48V etc. If you are interested in,pls contact me at angelxu@unitefortune.com or MSN angelxu_2000@hotmail.com .

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 246

03/18/2008 11:34 PM

Several manufacturers make AGM batteries of about 100 AH (or more) at 12 V. These will supply 200-500 amps, or could be paralleled to supply that amperage more conservatively.

Good Answers: 6

03/18/2008 11:45 PM

Regards.

Such a large battery-pack seems not available.

Such requirement I have seen with a large UPS System, 700KVA; made of Single-Alkaline Cells connected in series to make up 500VDc.

A big room may be needed for :

<< The finished array will supply 96-144 Volts at 200-500 Amperes >>

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #5

03/19/2008 1:13 AM

we are working with a battery manufacture now on this we found they could stack the battery packs and save space we plan to have parellel sets you can get units made from fork lifts these have deep cycles and can withstand the ouput. problem is you will be better to feed them in a few spots on each pack for a recharge to make sure you do not kill the center cells.

high freq power works best as it will not heat the plates when charging.

you can also us a EV controller to pulse the power as to not cause mass amounts of heat on the unit as you pull the power. make sure you have the right invwerter and cables or the melt down will cause you a few bucks.

packs like this will cost you a few bucks as well each pack is about 8000 dollars for the good ones.

Active Contributor

03/19/2008 5:41 AM
Guru

Good Answers: 16

03/19/2008 7:36 AM

Hi Ken,

Can I recommend you have a look at a telephone exchange;
preferably the oldest one you can find.

I used to maintain such, and their "battery room" sounds just
what you need. It contained "benches" (racks) of very large
rectangular open top glass containers (containing the electrolyte)
and into which was suspended, from bus bars, the plates.
Items were all sourced individually; even to the nuts and bolts.

An identical set-up was along side the system in use, with changeover
switches. This allowed easy maintenance, where each item, the plates and
/or acid could be changed individually, and at any time. Very cost effective.

Having an identical system not only gave an instant standby of power supply.
That is, the standby was maintained ready for instant use, but upon change
over, for any reason, the other system could be also brought up to standard.

The GPO had this worked out very well. The items, electrolyte, plates, etc.
could be bought in bulk, installed, and replaced easily, each separate item!
So it was very easy to do, and cheaply maintained.
A real "do it yourself" battery kit, on a big scale, which really impressed me!
It provided virtually guaranteed power supplies with no amperage limitations!

The down sides were: A very well ventilated, locked, room is required, with
no flame or steel objects to create a spark; and good personal protection
for authourised personel working on the systems. (against spillage etc.)

I'm not sure if this would be allowed today (health and safety etc.) but
adoption of the principle should be possible, with good safety precautions.
Hope this helps.

jt.

I used to be indecisive,.. but now,.. I'm not so sure.

Like a free web page? In seconds? See http://www.mfnb.at

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Earth. England/America -the birthplace of the C. S. A. - anywhere I imagine -home.
Good Answers: 33

03/20/2008 10:19 PM

Are you building an EV? Try EVsource.com they have lots of stuff. ausev.org is a bunch of amateurs who build their own EV conversions and sometimes they know of other sources.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 11

03/21/2008 5:09 AM

I have an associate who drives a small all electric pickup truck. I asked him what batteries he used, and he told me NI-CAD. I questioned the problems with NICAD and he said that he bought the best he could find (industrial quality), and has not had any problems with them after about 3 years that I know of.

My thoughts at the time were Nimh or Lion, but certainly not lead acid. With that, you have to arrange the batteries such that you can refilll each cell as needed... and on Saturday morning, your wife says "The kids are gone for the day!! Could you come upstairs??... and all you can say is "I'm sorry hon, but right now I am recharging my batteries... How about tonite??".

Sincerely

Bill

Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Blink (1); charlie_r (1); Haajee (1); jt (1); Magnacoaster (1); melshamy (1); Sciesis2 (1); Snaketails (2); Taganan (1)

Previous in Forum: Rubber wood treament   Next in Forum: How to calculate volume HFC's or other propellant liquid in a aerosol can

Advertisement