Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: can you tell me thickness calcu........   Next in Forum: SHEAR CENTER IN AIRCRAFT
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

7 comments
Anonymous Poster

welding of SS304 & SS316

04/05/2008 5:19 AM

I want to know that is there any difficulty in welding SS304 material with S316. Do we require any special welding material.

User-tagged by 1 user
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 7

Re: welding of SS304 & SS316

04/05/2008 9:18 AM

I believe most welders will recommend a TIG welder but I think if you only have one or a few welds to make a MIG will do as well. If this is for production work you should invest in the best suitable equipment which would be a TIG.

This link shows you the different SS properties so you can choose what would be best for you to use.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 240

04/05/2008 2:26 PM

Case491 has answered your query regarding the welding.

The suitability of these two grades in your conditions is worthy of consideration, as the chemical resistance of 316 is better than that of 304 for some chemicals.

Just a comment to keep in mind. If this weld remains wet, could have galvanic issues.

don't forget to passivate.

milo

Fans of Old Computers - Vector 1 - New Member

Good Answers: 1

04/06/2008 10:09 AM

I believe the poster is asking a material question not a process question.

Do we need any special welding material, Yes

Type 304 stainless steels may be welded with type 308L-16. The weld deposit is limited to 0.04% carbon, to minimizes chromium carbides in the weld and prevent to intergranular corrosion.

BRANSON

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
Guru

Good Answers: 240
In reply to #3

04/06/2008 9:54 PM

Agreed.

However failure to anticipate normal consequences could leave one in a bind,

Here is an example:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/19817?frmtrk=cr4sd#newcomments

I have made it a point to protect the customer from himself as often as from my organization throughout my career, and that was the motive between my post.

Thanks for posting.

milo

Good Answers: 5

04/07/2008 4:04 AM

it's a normal welding between two autenitic SS. Use a filler metal 308 / 316 and the usual recomendation regarding preheat / interpass temperature

http://www.euro-inox.org/pdf/map/BrochureWeldability_EN.pdf

S.

Corrosion Control | Corrosion Prevention

Anonymous Poster

04/07/2008 9:06 AM

Weld 304 with 308 electrode and 316 with 316 electrode. We use to think by welding 304 with 316 we were "upgrading" the weld but in reality it is a different alloy that may introduce unfavorable elements to the piece. I have personally found that 316 is less forgiving with vibration and more prone to crack. Also 316 is around 30% higher to buy so why would you want to use it?

pipewelder

Guru

Good Answers: 24

04/07/2008 10:45 AM

We are often required to weld a piece of pump shaft which is 316 grade SS to SS sheet metal which is 304 grade. We don't change anything with our mig welders when working with one or the other.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone that has posted before me. There are applications where you might have to use a different welding procedure to maintain the 316's properties, but if it is just to weld two pieces that are required to be just stainless steel then the normal procedure works fine.

We have to use pump shaft for the use of bearings and is not exposed to the elements on the other side. If it came in 304 we would be using that instead.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); BRANSON (1); case491 (1); Janissaries (1); Milo (2); strider6 (1)

Previous in Forum: can you tell me thickness calcu........   Next in Forum: SHEAR CENTER IN AIRCRAFT
You might be interested in: Welding Accessories, Welding, Brazing and Soldering Equipment, Welding Gases and Thermal Process Gases