Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Engine Development Strategy   Next in Forum: Steam Flow Measurement in Vertical Downflow #400
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments
Friend of CR4

Good Answers: 35

Replacing an Electric Motor - What of hp?

06/27/2006 9:30 AM

Larry White writes:
I would like to ask if anyone knows if I replace a 50 hp electric motor with a gas or diesel motor can I use a same 50 hp or is there a factor that needs to be accounted for?
I would be inclined to think I would need a larger hp or is it a 1 to 1 ratio. Also in relation my generator produces 100 kW but it supposedly can start only a app.75 hp motor. Although when I step start my 125 hp it runs it fine.
Are there any formula books that I might get to answer these and other similar questions?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Participant

Torque

06/27/2006 10:14 AM

I think your problem lies in that an electric motor produces instant torque even at low RPM. A ICE will not produce torque until it reaches it's design RPM.

Ken

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #1

Re:Torque

06/28/2006 2:46 PM

Yes you can see my reservations although it's still unclear to me if an electric hp and an internal combustion engine compare 1 to 1 even under simular load conditions It may be practical to just use a larger hp gas motor to be sure to cover the power curve ?

HP only matters when there's work to be done...

06/27/2006 10:32 PM

You could probably start a 500 hp motor with your generator (or bigger even) if there wasn't a full load on it. HP ratings relate to full load.

Replacing a motor motor with an engine (ooohh, picky word use there!) depends on the task at hand and where the energy comes from.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member

Good Answers: 3

Replacing Motor

06/27/2006 11:30 PM

I suggest Diesel Generator hand book By LL Mahon for referance it would give you a very good idea on your question murali

In reply to #3

Re:Replacing Motor

06/29/2006 11:03 AM

$300 at Amazon I'll check the library

generator sixing for motor starting

06/28/2006 4:55 AM

generator kVA = motor hp x X where - X = 4 for direct to line starters, 1.4 for star-delta starters, 1.6 to 2.8 for auto-transformer starters depending on No of taps, 0.8 for slip-ring motors with resistance starters rising to 1.5 for motors with high starting power factor. If you can read .dwg or .dgn or .dxf drawings I can send you a more detailed breakdown.

In reply to #4

Re:generator sixing for motor starting

06/28/2006 3:18 PM

Iv'e used the 1.5 ratio for my sawmill applications where loads are variable ie. fluid temps .to cover it our assumtion was 100 kw could start a lightly loaded 125 hp but to be safe I step started it .

In reply to #4

Re:generator sixing for motor starting

08/23/2006 9:00 AM

i like to ask this type of ? 1)what is torque in the double cyilnder IC engine.

Register to Reply
Participant

Replacing an electrical motor

06/28/2006 9:06 AM

Since you need the motor to drive a specific load, you can change the electric motor with any other type with the same output data. For starting the 75HP motor, if the load is not connected to the motor during starting then you have a problem with the generator. Otherwise, you need to know the transient characteristics of the load & motor during starting. You can refer to any literature in electric drive. If you need more help contact me at email khatib_ab@yahoo.com

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #5

Re:Replacing an electrical motor

06/28/2006 2:37 PM

My application is a sawmill and loads are variable as hydrolic pumps may have cold fluids etc. The blade is of course not under load . My question was really on a seperate piece a wood splitter that currently is powered by a 50 hp electric for hydrolics .I thought electric motors actually worked harder and for that application I might need a 75 or 100 gas or diesel..You can see my reasoning

Good Answers: 6

Replacing an Electric Motor

06/29/2006 6:22 PM

The only consideration in my view is:
If ypu bought a motor-generator Set, then it has Auto-Throttle control to regulate out-put Volage on varying load. Then how you plan for it?

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

akhatib (1); Anonymous Poster (1); crm (1); Haajee (1); jdst (1); peterd (1); phenym (1); traditional (4)

Previous in Forum: Engine Development Strategy   Next in Forum: Steam Flow Measurement in Vertical Downflow #400
You might be interested in: Motor Test Equipment, Motor Repair Services, DC Motor Drives