so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

28 comments
Participant

Scale Blaster Water Softener

04/07/2008 11:50 PM

Is anybody familiar with the "Scale Blaster"?

"An electronic de-scaling device for your pipes. These inaudible sonic pulses change the electrical and physical properties of the limescale forming calcium molecules causing them to repel, rather than adhere to water pipes and fixtures. The calcium deposits are dissolved in the water and never return again."

http://www.scaleblaster.com/the_scaleblaster_science.html

I was wondering if this was actually feasible or not. Thanks

Register to Reply
This discussion was "closed" on 07/10/2009 11:06 PM. No new comments are allowed.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 554

Re: Scale Blaster Water Softener

04/08/2008 1:54 AM

I asked a similar question some time back here...
To sumarise... the CR4 crew said it was bunkum...

Del

Location: South East of Las Vegas just far enough to see the lights but far enough to not hear the coins falling
Good Answers: 8
In reply to #1

04/09/2008 12:29 AM

Sir Cat,

Respectfully Scale Blaster has work for my applications it does not soften anything it does however alter calcium in a way that keeps it in suspension through the process whether on a home or in the correct commercial or industrial application.

Humbly,

Mike

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 554
In reply to #3

04/09/2008 2:33 AM

I have no personal axe to grind either way....
I shall watch with interest, as you will see prom my original thread I was interested in building a device myself.

Del

Location: South East of Las Vegas just far enough to see the lights but far enough to not hear the coins falling

04/09/2008 12:22 AM

Hello your highness,

(LOL boiler humor)

I have applied numerous Scale Blasters. I have the good fortune to live near the best (common sense) application expert for the Scale Baster. If calcium carbonate scale in your pipes and boiler system is what you want to prevent or remove "it will work" barring some extreme conditions. My best test was on a high pressure flex tube boiler that the state of Nevada owned. It had been neglected for 10 years, the 2" feed water piping come from the DA tank (227*f) had a 3/8" opening all the from the feed pump to the boiler inlet. The mud drum looked like a tan mud flow 1/2" thick in places.We installed the SB in the feed water line between the boiler and the pump. We did not return the insulation to the pipe. The softener that had been salt-less for years had just had salt added. He bypassed it and told staff that they needed to bottom blow the boiler 3-4 times a day starting in 4-5 days and that we would return in 30 days to open the boiler and feed water piping. We returned as promised and opened the system to find only very small red nod-gels on the inside of the feed water piping. The pipe was wide open all the way back to the pump. The mud drum inspection was even more interesting in that the mud flow was 100% gone and I could read the boilermaker markings inside on the walls. Prior I could not see any tube ends and after 30 days they were all clean.

That was the good news. Unfortunately the boiler had been neglected for so long that after another 2 weeks the boiler started leaking. We attempted to seal it up but the state was convinced that the entire room needed a face lift. We replaced that boiler and the state required a Scale Blaster on the new boiler. That system has been in place for 4 years with reduced chemical costs and last I was informed "scale free".

Another application that worked that I was very close to was on 24" PVC piping on COGEN cooling tower piping.

More simple applications that are brainless that have worked well for me are electric steam boilers.

I would value the opportunity to exchange more real data with you directly if send me your email. I have some very interesting things that will interest you like "tuning" the input signal to effect silica as well as calcium.

In reply to #2

08/16/2008 10:13 AM

I would like to sell the scaleblaster primarily in Fl. and specifically in Jacksonville, Fl. Would you please have the application expert contact me or a company that is reputable who is looking for a business account sales person to contact me ? Thank you.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

10/22/2008 6:50 PM

to MIKETHEBIOLERGUY:

I would like to learn more about the tuning stuff for the electronic descaler items, as well as hear more about your experiences in using them for other purposes. you can email me at gmacelec AT hotmail.com. I am an electrical engineer and am learning more about these from the chemistry and physics side of how they work, - Im a bit interested to see if they work on other things and how you have learned thinsg about tuning them. they are actually fairly easy circuits to build with less than $100 of parts, some may be less than $20 if you scavenge or re-cycle a few basic parts, and one should be able to whip them up for various uses if the data on what frequencies and field strengths are necessary to create real results can be found. I can see people using these on engine blocks, boat motor fluid cooling systems, fuel systems, lots of things.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Commentator

Good Answers: 5

04/09/2008 6:17 AM

Hi All. Okay we're back to this one again. [takes a deep breath hoping he will not be crucified again...] The electric units work and so do the nano's [scaler energy or a vivifier]. I've used both on some of the worst water - try over 1000 ppm calcium or silica. Both have limitations which seem to be time based in that certain contamination takes longer to dislodge than others. Certainly silica derivatives take longer. 'Mud' is pretty quick. I'm wondering in a Quantum Physics domain if the two 'tools' work in a similar fashion by allowing the water molecule to form a 'happy' tedrahexonic crystaline clusters. My understanding is that under an 'influencing field' [ie electric or scalar], it is possible to reset the angular alignment of the two hydrogen atoms about the oxygen atom to 104.5 degrees as well as resetting the ionic field around 1 hydrogen atom to positive and the other negative. Thus the resultant molecule and those in proximity bond together ideally to form a 'larger than life' molecule, that being a tedrahexonic crystal. Still with me? Hope so. Next, because this structure has a pourous outer shell, molecules of calcium, silica and other 'stuff like mud' adhere/get stuck to it. Thus the way the 2 processes work is to first form a crystal then allow it to pass down the pipe/whatever literally allowing all the junk to stick to it. Now comes the hard bit to explain. I test it by using a glass jar 1/2 filled with the 'affected' water and lay it in the freezer on its side. Then I wait for crystals to form on the first skin of ice and take a look. The results with 'affected' water are dazzling. Non 'affected' water shows nothing on the surface. So that's a test we can all do to check what I'm saying. Wait, there's more. I took samples from virgin springs here under the volcanos. They do the same thing - ie behave as 'affected' waters. Then there's the magnet 'technologies'. Well I personally haven't tested them but since these 2 discussed technologies apply a field 'of some description' to the water molecule, it is highly likely a magnet would provide a similar outcome. Finally, I only drink 'affected water'. I feel fine. My skin is soft and smooth even under tropical sun. My staff never get sick. Does it, as Dr Ian Lyons postulates, carry oxygen down to a cellular level? He should know, he was Dr Christian Barnard's hydrogologist during the first and subsequent heart transplant operations. Hmmm. Just when we reckon we have it all figured out ....... Cheers

04/09/2008 11:19 AM

This really is a working devise. Although some of the things said to make a sale are not correctly stated. The conditioner (not a softener, no ion exchange) will make the water better for you plumbing fixtures, reduces surface tension for better rise properties, stop bath tub ring, but will still leave white mineral spots when the water is evaporated away. The mineral left behind are a powered form and not a crystal form as untreated water. these deposits will wipe free with a dry cloth, no CLR or acidic wash is needed. In a closed loop system it worked great. The cheaper versions that are for sale today do not work as well or at all. Be careful of the imposters out to get your money.... UC Davis university are using 26 of these devises and many other city applications in waster water. City of Henderson, NV. City of Las V @ the durango plant Vegas.. over 2000 use these on swimming pools to stop the white scale line on the tile water line.....Check it out, it does work..

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #6

04/10/2008 12:30 AM

Would you put a Scale Blaster your own home?

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #7

04/10/2008 11:40 AM

Hi Mike Yes, I would but I have the other 'not-to-be-discussed-Nicola Tesslar/Tom Bergen/Ian Lyons-scalar-energy-Vivifier-nano-thingo' installed at home and the electric wrap arounds in a few hotels. I even installed a magnet a client brought with him in his Villa. And you? The water softeners are a joke here.

In reply to #6

08/16/2008 10:09 AM

I would like to know the company who sold these cities the scaleblaster. Thank you. Virginia

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Participant

In reply to #9

06/18/2009 10:14 PM

Virginia, that person would be me. I had tried to get a system in these city facilities before to no avail. Then one day, an enineering company (MWH Global) senior inspector approached me, explained their comapny was hired to work out a fix.

Explained the problem was caused by injection of sodium bisulfate a chemical used to burn off Cl residual before discharge. I explained I had never adjusted a unit to remove this mineral fouling compisition. I have worked with many devises as TAMU is his post for many years. Somewhere along the way I was given a gift to understand this method of control. My articals have been published in Polution Engineering, WW, Ref Tech and others. I like to manipulate partical formations, as to add information to my log book of formulas.. The post from MIKETHEBOILERGUY of the Cogen plant is another sample of my work. The treatments are physical in event but that is thinking inside the box. One has to wonder outside the box to find answers and solutions.

Tesla, Hardin, and many others before us have left clues behind hoping I'm sure someone would continue. W.E.T. (Water Efficent Technology)

Today there is a new kid on the block that is programable to suit almost any problem I have tested this sweet equipment. It is the bomb, bar none.

08/19/2008 11:25 AM

Hi Bolier King,

I have used the scaleblaster in boiler application over the last 6 years. The system will work as stated, only in the applications that a bottom blow down is maintained. The combined mineral will settle out of saturation as the atomic weight builds. As a rule I recomend at least one bottom blow down per 24 hr operation. The mineral must not be allowed to collect on a super heated surface. As long as there is circulation moving the combined mineral ions through the system it will save a lot of treatment cost. Oxygen scavengers are stii needed with this equipment.

Other applications are HVAC, Towers.

Vegastech@aol.com

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Power-User

In reply to #11

08/19/2008 12:13 PM

I aggree. Thanks for the input....Lets have lunch....

10/23/2008 5:59 PM

One "boiler guy" to the another I will tell this thing works for what its made to do.

It Has de scaled more than one high pressure steam boiler for me.

Sizing is important so get with the best guy for sizing. If you need help I will get you connected. Please email me direct and I will send you some Scale Blaster studies.

miketheboilerguy@aol.com

Mike

Good Answers: 2

10/24/2008 10:30 PM

I never heard of the Scale Blaster, but it looks like some of the other debunked Non-Chemical Devices found on the following web page:

http://www.richardhouriganinc.com/non-chemical_devices.html

Many of the testimonial letters provide insufficient information on how the Scale Blaster performed its job.

The "Vegas" testimonial, however, shows that they eliminated the use of Sodium Hypochlorite. Sodium Hypochlorite was and incredibly dumb choice in the first place. It would be expected to cause the Calcium Carbonate scale. The most likely explanation is that the suspension of Sodium Hypochlorite caused the clean up and NOT the Scale Blaster.

Dick Hourigan

Analytical Chemist

www.RichardHouriganInc.com

In reply to #15

10/24/2008 10:50 PM

Dick,

If you email me directly I will send you independent studies on the technology.

Mike

miketheboilerguy@aol.com

06/17/2009 5:22 PM

I live in Florida and I had the Scale Blaster installed in my 1600sf home after I saw a presentation about it on HGTV. I've had it for at least 4 years now and noticed a significant decline in scale after just a few months. I had to have an element replaced in my electric water heater only a few months after the SB was installed and the tech was surprised at the fact that there was no scale on the element at all, and the water heater had to be at least 8-10 yrs old. Also, my shower heads stay clean for at least a year. Before the SB, I had to soak them in vinegar or CLR regularly--at least once every month or two. I'm not an engineer, but I can tell from experience that the Scale Blaster has really made a difference in my water quality, and is keeping the pipes clean. Bear in mind that while the manufacturer says it's an ALTERNATIVE to a water softener, it is not a water softener, which I understood at the time of purchase so I had no expectations to that end.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Commentator

In reply to #17

06/17/2009 11:36 PM

1. Why are you anonymous as a guest? Perhaps you are the local Florida Scale Blaster Sales Representative.

2. What is the "tech's" name and contact information?

3. Why did the heating element in the hot water heater need to be replaced within months of installing the SB?

4. How did you measure quntitatively the scale build up before and after the installation? Did you get a chemical analysis of either the deposits or the water before and after installation?

5. What was the chemical composition of the material you were removing from the shower head with vinegar or CLR? Was it red or white?

6. "I am not an engineer". I can believe that. An engineer would have been more skeptical of these wild claims.

7. True. Doing nothing IS an ALTERNATIVE to doing something.

8. Did your water quality change? Can you provide a water analysis from your city?

9. Why is all the "evidence" for these devices always anecdotal?

10. I hope you are wisely investing all of the money you are saving on salt. You will need it when it is time to rip open all the walls in your house and replace all of the pipes.

Dick Hourigan

http://www.richardhouriganinc.com/non-chemical_devices.html

In reply to #18

06/18/2009 1:38 PM

Thanks for yet another truly Illinois democratic opinion. After looking very intently at your web site I understand why you do not support even the possibility that something other then old wisdom works. You are in the business of "selling" conventional types of water treatment. I grew up near you and I understand the closed minded attitude. I however have observed with my own eyes the varying results that Scale-Blaster has produced. If you would take the time to read this string you would understand that SB does not soften which to most would mean it does not remove anything from the water. That in turn would mean that city water testing would show no change. You may agree that water might change state from freezing to liquid and then to steam and at each stage could "test" with little or no changes.

I suggest that you open your mind find a customer that trusts you and that has calcium carbonate scaling. Ask your local SB rep if that location is a good test point (because all scale is not equal and SB does not remove all types of scale) to install a unit for 30 days or whatever they recommend and take some before and after picture. Then you can be as anecdotal as you wish. Or you could thinly slice some crow for lunch and be silent. You have been taught at some point that seeing in beliveing...try it. In this day and age of swift and constant changes I am short that a brother Vet would shun change. If your test SB does not work in the application that was approved by the sales engineer I will pay for its removal and I will buy it from you. I have "tested" numerous units at no expense for the test period, funny thing every unit is still in place and the customer that witnessed the test was happy to pay.

Setting all that aside I am proud to correspond with a Vet that is thriving in a tough market.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Commentator

In reply to #19

06/18/2009 7:14 PM

I guess I was right about you. You are selling these devices, or would you have me believe that you just happen to be another anonymous Guest? What is the matter are you ashamed or embarrassed to have anyone know that you sell pseudoscience for a living?

"truly Illinois democratic opinion". Is that intended to be a political statement or were you just expressing that everyone has a right to have an opinion? There is a Major difference between having an open mind and being gullible. It is good to have an open mind about new technologies. When I find one that works on proven science, I use it. There is nothing new about the Scale-Blaster. To have an "open mind" about the types of devices that I have personally seen fail for 37 years would just be stupid.

Here is the "science" behind the Scale-Blaster

"This innovative product produces an oscillating electronic field using a unique and complex modulating frequency wave form that changes the physical shape, size and charge of the calcium molecules and causes them to lose their adhesive properties.

Lime scale will no longer form in the pipes or on equipment that comes in contact with hard water. This results in the lowering of the saturation level of hard water, so that new lime scale is prevented and any existing scale is removed. The surface tension of the water is lessened, which will increase the solubility of the water, making it a better solvent."

1. There is no evidence that an oscillating electronic field does anything to affect chemistry.

"If you would take the time to read this string you would understand that SB does not soften which to most would mean it does not remove anything from the water. That in turn would mean that city water testing would show no change." Thus I actually agree with your statement. Scale-Blaster does nothing.

2. How does Scale-Blaster change the physical shape, size and charge of the calcium molecules? What is their old and new shape, their old and new size, and their old and new charge? Then how do you prove this?

3. Lowering "the saturation level of hard water"? Are you sure? Didn't you mean raising the saturation level?

4. Surface tension only occurs at the surface. It is caused by the inability of the water molecules to randomly orient. They are forced to lay in a plane at the surface. When that happens the align with the hydrogens of one molecule facing the oxygen on an adjacent molecule this causes a strengthening of the attraction and requires energy such as heat to break the attraction. It has nothing what so ever to do with the solubility of ions. It is strictly a surface phenomenon.

Advice: Don't attempt to sell your product to chemists. Focus on those who are scientifically ignorant. "There's a sucker born every minute", P.T Barnum (1810 – 1891).

Thanks for the Vet comment.

Dick Hourigan
Visit:
www.TheWaterTreatmentStore.com

In reply to #20

06/18/2009 7:38 PM

I do not sell Scale Blasters. I support a sales engineer that provides solutions in appropriate cases. Our success rate is very high because we don't install them in places that they will not work. And that is enough talk about it. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I am having trouble with me log in but I am not the first GUEST in this string I have only "hidden out for two inputs".If you like I will sent you a Scale Blaster if you will apply it in the limited scope of it usablity for your own test. But only if you comitt to share in detail the test results to this group.

Please try to read this with an open mind.

Mike Robertson

The Boiler Guy.

miketheboilerguy@aol.com

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #21

06/18/2009 11:05 PM

Thats the way, put up or shut up.. I would have told him the same except he would have bought the equipment out of his own pocket. Who cares what he has to add. It works... I hear there is a new kid working your type business. Finally someone has walked around it enough to understand the force at work. Have you had any contact or heard of a just released programable version of physical water treatment?

Its coming soon to a customer near you.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #23

07/09/2009 11:39 PM

For all to see here are two studies of the electronic conditioning equipment.

This should help de-bunk the nasty chemical sales people of the world.

ME Mag http://www.memagazine.org/backissues/membersonly/may05/marketplace/new_products/new_pro1.html Pollution Eng Mag http://www.pollutionengineering.com/Articles/Casebook/bf3ea02711e68010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #24

07/09/2009 11:47 PM

Does anyone register around here?

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #25

07/10/2009 12:37 AM

Hey Garth, I keep looking over my shoulder at these threads because you never know who is here.

W.E.T.

In reply to #23

07/10/2009 11:38 AM

This message is for the Board of Directors of CR4. I did not post the comment with the apology. Someone has figured out how to hack your thread. I have no need to ask for forgiveness regarding this subject.

In reply to #27

07/10/2009 10:13 PM

I understand it is not polite to call names but you are a knuckle head. Cancer is nothing to joke about. One of my dearest friends Bride has cancer and there has never been even a hint that Scale Blaster treated water has any medical uses.You should apologise to this group of real people.

With little or no regard for your feels I say please find another hobby.

Mike

This discussion was "closed" on 07/10/2009 11:06 PM. No new comments are allowed.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (8); Del the cat (2); EnduroSolv (3); Garthh (1); hart2hart (2); miketheboilerguy (8); Tamu (2); W.E.T. (2)

Previous in Forum: CENTRIFUGE   Next in Forum: Tank Calibration

Advertisement