Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Return Plenum   Next in Forum: Saving MPG with Brown Gas Generator
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

19 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

How can I build a temperature controller

05/14/2008 7:54 AM

I would like to build a temperature controller. I would like the display to be 2" leds. I would like the range to be from 100°F to 350°F. It would activate a relay to turn the power source on and off. For instance, I would like the temperature to turn off at 250° and turn back on at 248°. I would like the large leds in order to read the temperature at a distance. This would be used for a BBQ smoker. I need a wiring diagram, list of materials and source of materials.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Temperature controller
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 17

Re: How can I build a temperature controller

05/14/2008 11:54 PM

Buy a thermostat rated to 350F. Use the output to cycle a contacter on your power source.

Buy a 4" dial thermometer and thread it into your cooker.

Check Grainger, McMaster Carr, or Omega for parts.

In reply to #1

05/15/2008 4:43 AM

I've already purchased a controller and hooked it up to a relay. It keeps the smoker at a uniform temperature. What I want to do is build the controller from scratch.

Thanks for you reply.

PAPADOC

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 579
In reply to #2

05/15/2008 7:47 AM

"Controller"? A temperature-operated switch (a "thermostat") fits the requirements.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 28

05/15/2008 8:30 AM

Source: appliance repair shop

List of materials: Temp controller circuit for oven w/ digital display

Diagram: Supplied with parts

Are you wanting to start production for sale or is this just a hobby? You could take your new controller apart and reverse engineer it to see how it works. Then redesign it to your liking. I would never suggest copying it for resale. My oven has a digital display. I would imagine you could substitute whatever size screen you wish so long as there are not any power requirement issues. You might try surplus store sites for quantities of new cheap controllers. I use www.surpluscenter.com for some of my needs. I am not sure if they would have controllers there or not as the inventory changes based on their acquisitions. I list the site as an example only.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

In reply to #4

05/15/2008 9:19 AM

I want to build mostly as a hobby, but if my smoker gets good enough, I might sell some smokers with the controller. I've used surpluscenter and they are good. However, the controllers on the market have many functions. I want to build one that is a lot simpler. I just want to have it turn the power source on and off at specified tempatures. I need plans similar to those for the digital thermometer at: http://www.instructables.com/id/Multifunction-Digital-Thermometer/?commentflag=1210334580629#CGF4BHSFG0GJ2IX

A normal metal thermostat isn't accurate enough.

Thanks for you interest,

PAPADOC

Guru

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #5

05/16/2008 12:39 AM

Have fun with your "hobby"! Sorry my "simplistic" response wasn't what you needed or wanted.

In reply to #5

05/16/2008 7:46 AM

Our McEnglevan dual chamber heat treat furnace uses the Honeywell UDC 2300 mini pro. The tempering chamber typically is used at a temp range of 400 to 800 deg F. It has a type "K" t-couple and is able to hold +/- 2 or 3 degrees. You are correct, there are many features and functions and these are not cheap to replace. The programming sheet that came with them is 4 pages of parameters to set. Building one is beyond my scope. I am curious as to how precise the temp needs to be controlled for a BBQ smoker? Kitchen ovens are not nearly as precise as a heat treat furnace yet you can readily prepare meals everyday very reliably. I find it hard to imagine that with the typical over run / under run temp of the common oven you would not have a successful cooker. I have seen small smokers for sale through Bass Pro. I am not sure if they have a controller or not. You might check those out and contact the maker of those units for parts.

I used a wood stove for heat years ago. The controller on it was just a hinged damper with a spring attached to it. The damper controlled the incoming air to the firebox. You set the opening of the damper by simply pushing it closed or pulling it open and the spring would expand and contract with the temp change. As the stove cooled down it would open the damper. As the stove heated it would close the damper. Thus maintaining the room temp. The big safety feature was that if the fire tried to get out of control it would shut down the air flow completely. Yes that meant a lot of hot smoke and gases in the flue but it kept the fire box from over heating.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #7

05/16/2008 9:46 AM

Thanks for your reply. My smoker is designed to make smoke as well as cook. A pan of hickory chunks is set on the burner to generate smoke. The large heating element like a 2500 watt or larger that electric ovens have will go off so long that I'm not able to get any smoke from my chunks. I use a 1000 watt heating element in a gutted electric oven. The 1000 watt element stays on long enough to get plenty of smoke. The hickory chunks are cheaper than the shavings and last longer and are more readily available. What I have works like I want. I place my brisket in there, put a pan of hickory chunks on the heating element, set the temperature to 250°F, after 4 hours put in some more hickory chunks, (I plan to try a bigger pan of chunks) then go to bed. Get up after it cooks (one hour per pound of brisket), let it cool a little, then cut it up. It is really delicious and almost foolproof to cook. I started out with the idea of a "drunk proof" bbq pit. But I realized that was impossible, so, now I'm trying to build a "Nearly Drunk Proof" bbq pit. I plan to make a wood fired one with automatic damper controls. That's why I'd like to be able to build my own temperature controller.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

05/16/2008 10:41 AM

On the cooking show "Good Eats" (Alton Brown) I saw a smoker made using a hot plate to smoke the wood chips. He was collecting the smoke in a water tray to make liquid smoke. Could you do something like that inside your oven?

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #11

05/16/2008 10:54 AM

I don't know. I use a pan of water to keep the meat moist and catch the drippings. I've got the process down pretty good. What I need is a low cost simple temperature controller. I'd like to build one myself with large leds so I can read the temperature at a distance.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

05/16/2008 12:59 PM

I understand you wish to build one yourself. As this is summer break our electronics instructors are gone till fall. If someone drops by I will ask them for suggestions and pass that along. This is of interest to me also as I have been working on a grill/smoker as well. I am wanting to keep mine portable for family and church gatherings. I would love a big trailer mounted set up, but that would be over kill for most of my needs.

Till then, good luck

The Mechanic

Power-User

In reply to #13

05/17/2008 4:48 AM

What you need is a gas operated smoker. I've built a thermostaticly controlled deep fat fryer utilizing the same controller that I purchased. It works excellent. However, to make a gas smoker will take more design. A smoker must be able to cook for hours without much attention and therefore, requires more safety. My deep fat fryer must be attended to continously due to the nature of the cooking. If the wind blows the flame goes out, you're right there to fix it. I want to build a gas smoker, but the NDP wood fired smoker project is ahead of it. The same temperature controller can be used for all my applications. However, it would be better to have a separate controller for each.

Later,

PAPADOC

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

05/19/2008 7:23 AM

Since you are using gas, have you considered using a thermocouple in your controller design? I don't suppose you have looked at gas ovens for a controller? They already incorporate the safety features you are looking for. I am going to be using a military surplus storage container for a gas turbine engine as my cooker. It has thick walls which should help retain most of the heat. I do not plan on insulating it to make it more efficient. The cooking time will be short (dogs and burgers mostly) so insulation would not be a big issue. The cooking surface will be about twice that of a common gas grill. Its large barrel shape will also lend it to rotisserie cooking as well. Since it is round, I would like to make it look like a pig by welding on a nose, ears, and a tail. I plan on replacing the pressure gage with a thermometer. I will be using gas burners in it. Although, I have thought about adding a firebox for smoking.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #15

05/19/2008 7:41 AM

No. I'm using electricity. I use a 1000watt element. I have already made a gas fired deep fat fryer using my temperature controller and a solenoid valve. A gas oven might work but their thermostats aren't as sensitive as I prefer. Put a thermometer in your oven and check it out.

I really need to build my own temperature controller from scratch. That's what I need.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

05/19/2008 7:57 AM

Sorry, I reread all of the posts after sending the last one and caught my mistake. As I said before, I understand you wish to make one from scratch. I am just trying to offer help. I tend to keep all of my options open during a project. I keeps me from painting myself in a corner by limiting the possibilities. Nothing wrong with what you are trying to do.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #17

05/19/2008 8:17 AM

Thanks.

Register to Reply
Guru

05/16/2008 7:55 AM

I just checked out the bass pro site. There are a couple of electric smokers. Here is the link to the page.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResults?searchOption=products&hvarSearchString=smoker&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO

Good luck.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #8

05/16/2008 9:58 AM

See previous comment.

Register to Reply
Participant

04/29/2011 2:17 AM

Temperature Controllers - To accurately control process temperature without extensive operator involvement, a temperature control system relies upon a controller, which accepts a temperature sensor such as a thermocouple or RTD as input. It compares the actual temperature to the desired control temperature, or setpoint, and provides an output to a control element.

For more information about Temperature Controllers.... http://us.azbil.com

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 19 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

azbil123 (1); PAPADOC (8); PWSlack (1); Ried (2); The Mechanic (7)

Previous in Forum: Return Plenum   Next in Forum: Saving MPG with Brown Gas Generator
You might be interested in: Programmable Automation Controller (PAC) Modules, Programmable Automation Controller (PAC) Systems, Temperature Indicators and Temperature Instruments