the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

14 comments
Participant

Maximum shear stress of steel?

06/01/2008 11:55 AM

Can someone please help me?

Am looking for a table with maximum shear stress for steel materials!

Does that even exist? Can't find any on the internet nor books!

This is kinda urgent, so if anyone knows anything about that, please type.

Thanks!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 145

Re: Maximum shear stress of steel?

06/01/2008 4:42 PM

Good Answers: 161

06/02/2008 6:13 AM

The shear limit is related to the ultimate stress by different theories and the most current equations are either the von Mises which says that τmax= R /√3 = 0.57735*R, where R is Re= elasticity limit or an other one which states that τmax= 0.5*R. For combined loading and for steel (ductile material) the von Mises equation is the one to match the best experimental results.

Values for Re you can find in the matweb recommended in an other answer.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/02/2008 8:47 AM

You may obtain this information from Solidworks/Cosmosworks, as well as analysis.

Register to Reply
Commentator

06/02/2008 9:23 AM

As mentioned, if you know the ultimate strength, you could either use Von Mises factor of 0.577 or Max shear stress of 0.5.

If you know the hardness of the material, the relationship of hardness to ultimate strength is Su = 3.45 BHN, where Su is in MPa and BHN is the Brinell Hardness.

Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 18

06/02/2008 9:28 AM

There are approximately 10 000 different types of steel available..................did you have many in mind??????

I apologise for my sarcasm..........but I could not resist that one.

..............but seriously, every steel manufactured has information concerning it, e.g. tensile stress, compressive stress, shear stress, heat treatment of the material(complete with iron carbide equilibrium diagrams, TTT curves, etc) its machinability, weldability, etc etc.

If you know the steel manufacturer, of the steel that you require, it would probably be better to obtain the info you require directly from them...........then you know that the info is correct...............this of course will depend on the accuracy of the info you require.

If approximations are required the web is OK.

06/02/2008 9:56 AM

www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/steelprop.htm

check out this website a may help

Register to Reply
Power-User
Canada - Member - BC Born, Alberta Raised, Quebec (poutine) crazed... Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - An airplane is just a bunch of beams... Hobbies - Model Rocketry - Had fun as a kid...fun stuff Hobbies - CNC - dreaming of cutting Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - PID ME!

Good Answers: 10

06/02/2008 11:05 AM

Comes down the the alloy you're using...the heat treatment...the grain direction...and especially the configuration of the structure to verify the load paths through the material.

Perhaps list everything you know and we can help out more...a picture or two would be great...and a quick expanation of the situation might help... Often it's not the primary material that will fail first but the connecting welds, fasteners, etc or the some other instability like buckling. Only in a case of a 'steel' pin in a lug or a similar configuration would produce a perfect shearing force on the material and possibly make it fail under those specific circumstances.

Good Answers: 73

06/03/2008 8:46 PM

"Am looking for a table with maximum shear stress for steel materials!
Does that even exist? Can't find any on the internet nor books!"

What books have you looked at? The shear stress is well defined in the Steel Handbook, either AISC or CISC. If you can find a textbook called "Strength of Materials" by Stephen Timoshenko, you will have a valuable addition to your library. For that matter, if you find any book authored by Timoshenko, grab it because they aren't making them anymore.

In reply to #8

12/12/2010 1:50 PM

my friend,

he was asking for the max shear stress for steel,

not the theary about shear stress

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #12

12/12/2010 4:35 PM

The ratio between yield stress in tension and yield stress in shear is constant for an elastic material. In the case of steel, this ratio is known and is available in many sources, including the internet. Since he knows the yield stress in tension, he should be able to determine the yield stress in shear without difficulty.

In reply to #12

12/13/2010 3:12 AM

Dear FRIEND,

Your comment is a proof of ignorance.

There is NOT a maximal shear of steel since for EVERY quality of steel there is an other value.

The answers gave ALL what was required by a interested person to obtain the value for the steel he looks at.

The other proof is the fact that you do NOT see the VALUE of the(o)ry.

Let me give you a definition: "theory is condensed practice".

I am sure you never looked at a "theory" book, may be you were afraid by the risk of not understanding?

An other friend!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

torsional stress of crankshaft materilas

06/30/2009 6:06 PM

hai freinds,i am searching for mechanical properties(specially torsional stress) of a materials used in crankshaft like ck45,42CrMo4,etc.

i have found other properties like ultimate tensile stress,yield stress but i didnt find torsional stress.

i also checked websites like science journals,matweb,etc but unfortunately i didnt find it

can u guys plz help me with this

thank you

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #9

Re: torsional stress of crankshaft materilas

07/01/2009 2:03 AM

I have the feeling that either you do not read what was already send as information or you do not have the level to understand what you read.

Before write a question as you did it is recommendable to read ALL what was already discussed and check if the previously given answers do help.

Of course if you are really interested in getting an answer or if you understand what you read.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Anonymous Poster

01/29/2010 1:44 AM

see steel structures by gaylord

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (6); ba/ael (2); High Lander (1); kkjensen (1); MOBI (1); nick name (2); TVP45 (1)

Previous in Forum: pipe insulation calculation   Next in Forum: risk analysis

Advertisement