CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: plasma is out putting 50 volts of the frame.   Next in Forum: Latching Relays.... revisited.
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

14 comments
Participant

GPS Tracking Device the size of a Quarter miniature

06/14/2008 7:05 PM

I am new to this but have a question. I am dealing with a thief and looking for some type of tracking device that can be tracked. The only problem is that it needs to be about the size of a quarter. I don't even know if that is possible or not but I figured that I would try. If you could help, that would be great.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: gps tracking device spy miniature mini
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 48

Re: GPS Tracking Device the size of a Quarter miniature

06/14/2008 10:31 PM

Does it have to be GPS? If that's the way you want to go, just type "tracking device" in Google. I did and got 1,250,000 hits. Take your pick.

If it's just for one-time use, I'd make a small radio-frequency pulser. Then, I'd use a simple radio-receiver with a directional antenna to track it. The pulser can be as small as about 1/2 to an inch in diameter and maybe 1/4 inch thick.

Good Answers: 5

06/15/2008 10:57 PM

you could try active RFI you attach a disc to the equipment and a reader can be set up in the entry exit door you will then know when something is leaving or coming in. If you type active RFI as a web search you should find something that will suit

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 39

06/15/2008 11:08 PM

If it really have to be the size of a quarter and self contained look into animal tracking as used by various wild life management units.

GPSttracking devices have been attached to animal,s fish, and even some birds. I have seen tracking collars that fit your size need.

If you can tolerate a slightly larger device and have external power available, look into vehicular tracking devices. These draw power from the vehicle and are triggered as soon as the vehicle is moved wihout authorization. Ie burglar alarm trip. Also has greater range to assist detection at a longer distance.

But it's a silent alarm to allow tracking and catching the culprit.

Depending on where you are located you may find them sold by any automotive sound system installer company or burglar alarm company.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 157

06/16/2008 2:38 AM

There are even units (larger than your requirement though) that use GPS and a cell phone to tell you where they are. They are for tracking kids......

In reply to #4

06/16/2008 3:58 AM

Yeah I've seen this. But it was used for tracking stray lovers. Instead of a P.I.

Good Answers: 2

06/16/2008 8:14 AM

What about the ones they use in cell phones? I have an external one that is about the size of a silver dollar. But I think half of it is in the battery. It's for a Garmin type program in the phone.

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - Technical Fields - Education -

Good Answers: 14

06/16/2008 10:34 AM

Look closely at Vulcan & Grochy's post and consider their advice. GPS requires a "view " of the sky so it can get it's position. If this is a small device embedded in something else, it may not be able to "see" the satellites and get a position fix. This would be especially true if whatever it is attached to is small enough to fit in a case, satchel or desk drawer. On the other hand, if you have some idea of who the thief might be, the RFID solution may be your best bet.

Good Answers: 5

06/16/2008 7:41 PM

so, what is your thief stealing? it might help in alternative suggestions.

In reply to #8

06/25/2008 3:43 PM

The thief is stealing quarters. If I could get a tracking device that looked like a quarter, it would help tremendously in the recovery of stolen money.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 39
In reply to #9

06/25/2008 8:32 PM

Could you not use the banking trick of using an invisible ink that turns bright purple when weted as when the person washes their hands. In a coin operated machine a small brush like those used to apply make up could brush on the ink as it goes through the coin slot. Or is this a situation where you do not know where and when the thief may strike as would be the case with parking meters all over town. I still think the animal tracking chip is the way to go. I have seen biologists tracking Canada geese wearing leg bands containing a transmitter. The same chip could be imbedded in a coin slug. Canada Fisheries use GPS chips attached to cod fish and seals or whales to track where the schools and pods migrate to. Naturally the chip can only transmit when the fish or sea mammal is close to the surface but it does seem to get results. One of the companies is in Newmarket Ontario. Tera something or other. I tried to apply for a job there about 12 years ago. Their product ws then not much bigger than a silver dollar.

Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 48
In reply to #10

06/26/2008 6:23 AM

I'd rather go for the ink than buy a coin-like GPS tracker that certainly costs much more than a quarter.

An alternative it to have a coin made of plastic (with color and texture as close as possible). When squeezed or pressed, it squirts out a colored, indelible ink and stains his pocket.

At least you'll get even if you don't find out who the perp is.

08/12/2008 7:50 AM

WWW.GLOBALSECURITYTRACKING.COM

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

10/07/2008 10:42 PM

yes. we got a solution in your situation , you can use our pet tracking system .You can browse our website to find it . If you have interesting ,you can contact me ronalds@ptm.com.cn

tks

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Anonymous Poster

02/17/2011 1:34 PM

Hi what about using Smartwater - DNA spray that fluoresces under the correct wavelength light. Its invisible to the naked eye but will coat anyone or thing that touches it.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); Anonymous Poster (3); artbyjoe (1); bp01 (1); elnav (2); Grochy (1); Hellcat (1); jonema (1); jrpeck (1); Vulcan (2)

Previous in Forum: plasma is out putting 50 volts of the frame.   Next in Forum: Latching Relays.... revisited.

Advertisement