CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: High Fructose Corn Syrup   Next in Forum: Pressure Relief valves
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

6 comments
Anonymous Poster

RV Antifreeze

06/23/2008 12:05 PM

Is RV Antifreeze dangerous to an animal if it has been diluted by alot of rain ?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 87

Re: RV Antifreeze

06/23/2008 12:30 PM

Depends on if it is ethylene glycol or propylene glycol, and and how diluted... But yeah it could be.

Has the animal in question already had a drink? Or are you just concerned for an accident?

Guru

Good Answers: 84
In reply to #1

06/24/2008 11:19 AM

Yes,

Automotive type antifreeze is ethylene glycol, which is sweet tasting and is metabolized in the body to many very toxic chemicals. The antifreeze used in potable (or domestic) water systems is propylene glycol, and is metabolized in the body to the same chemicals as citric acid, which are easily handled without significant toxicity. Many web sites will give additional information, such as http\\www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/egpg/.

--JMM

Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 222

06/23/2008 12:54 PM

It all so depends on if you are talking about antifreeze for the engine or for the fresh water plumbing. The antifreeze for the fresh water plumbing should not hurt an animal worst it should do is make them drunk. The antifreeze for the engine could pose problems depending on how concentrated it is. If that is what they consumed I would take them to a vet.

06/24/2008 12:14 PM

Are you talking about the antifreeze used in the engine (ethylene glycol) or the antifreeze used for the water system?

If it's in the engine, yes it's lethal. Cats and dogs lap it up because it's sweet. The antifreeze used in an RV engine is no different than what is used in an automobile.

If it's what's used in the water system to winterize the RV, it should not be harmful because it's in the water system, presumbaly humans will be drinking from it come the next camping season.

Travis

Anonymous Poster

06/25/2008 6:48 AM

I had a dog ingest a small amount several years ago. The vet injected grain alcohol until the animal passed out. He explained that the alcohol would protect the kidneys from the antifreeze. The dog was kept in a kennel for the night and picked up in the morning. The vet warned that we would not know if the treatment was sucessful for a few days. The dog was fine.

Guru

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #5

06/25/2008 7:34 AM

I was working on a water pump on an old Buick and when I pulled it off the block, I found that I had done a poor job of draining the engine block. I got a face full of antifreeze and I ingested about a mouth full. I called poison control and they told me to drink a few beers and that I would be ok.

I did so and I was ok..... excpect that now whenever I work on the cars I find that I prefer to innoculate myself with a few beers as I go along. It hasn't improved my mechanical skills but it makes the job a bit more pleasant...

Reply to Forum Thread 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); jmueller (1); ozzb (1); Steve S. (2)

Previous in Forum: High Fructose Corn Syrup   Next in Forum: Pressure Relief valves

Advertisement