Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Determining the size of a motor to drive the gate   Next in Forum: Q.C,INSPECTOR
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

19 comments
Associate

Pressure-velocity relation

08/04/2008 10:33 AM

I am confused to calculate the required flow rate from the pipeline. Q=AV is the formula for calculating Flow (fluid is water).I have pipe diameter and pressure. Let me know how to calculate velocity.Is there any perfect relation between pressure and velocity.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: flow
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 565

Re: Pressure-velocity relation

08/04/2008 12:03 PM

There is a relationship between pressure drop and velocity. Take a look at this.

The recent explosion of personal telephony across the globe seems to have gone hand-in-hand with a profound reluctance to actually use the damn things for the purpose for which they have been designed.
Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 9

08/04/2008 8:47 PM

Do a Google search "flow rate from pressure drop" and see the hits that should give you an answer.

08/04/2008 11:19 PM
Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

08/05/2008 1:02 AM

There is no direct relation between pressure and flow.You will understand this from a simple example : In a flowing pipeline, you close a valve bringing the flow to a halt.You will continue to read pressure (usually more than what you see when there is a flow).

Flow relates to "differential" pressure read across two points along the pipeline or a valve or an orifice etc.For accurate measurement of flow with differential pressure you will also need viscosity ( for water it is simple - 1 cP),correct area of through which the flow takes place,in case of long pipe line the length,internal surface roughness,number of fittings etc.

Free software is available on net to calculate the pressure drop if flow rate,viscosity ,length and diameter of pipeline are known.

For water,the term velocity head refers to V^2/2g where V is velocity in m/sec,g is the gravitational constant= 32 m/s^2. H= head will be in metres.

Head into density = pressure.Take care of the units while calculating!!

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Egypt - Member - Member since 02/18/2007

Good Answers: 239

08/05/2008 1:15 AM

The relation is the energy equation between any two points 1 and 2 on the pipe line:

(P1/w) + (V12/2g) + z1 + HP = (P2/w) + (V22/2g) + z2 + ∑HL

Where,

P = Pressure (lbf / ft2 or psf)

V = Velocity (ft /sec)

W = ρg/gc

g = Gravity Acceleration (32.2 ft/sec2)

gc = Gravitational Constant (32.2 lbm . ft / lbf . sec2)

HP = Pump Head (ft)

ρ = Density (lbm/ft3)

Z = Elevational Head (ft)

∑HL= Head losses due to friction

In reply to #5

06/15/2010 4:33 AM

To explain this we need to consider two major equations

Let us take

1. Bernoulli's equation:

P + (Rho).g.y + (1/2).(Rho)v^2= const.

2. Continuity equation:

To maintain constant flow rate

Q=A1v1 =A2v2

Considering flow is happening through a tapering pipe.

P = pressure

Rho = density

g = gravity

y = height

Q = Flow rate (Kg/cu.metre)

A1 = area of cross-section-1

A2 = area of cross-section-2

v1 = velocity at cross-section-1

v2 = velocity at cross-section-2

Section 1 Larger than Section 2

So when flow happens from section 1 to section 2 the area is decresing so the velocity will increase to maintain the constant flow rate by continuity equation.

So if you take Bernoulli's equation, to maintain constant value at one side the datum/height or the pressure has to be increased.

So Area decreases-->Velocity will increase-->In turn Pressure increases.

So velocity and Pressure are inversely proportional unless the Datum/Height is same.

Hope this helps you.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #14

07/15/2010 8:40 AM

******** So Area decreases-->Velocity will increase-->In turn Pressure increases. So velocity and Pressure are inversely proportional unless the Datum/Height is same. *********

I'm sure I'm missing something here, so pardon my ignorance: If the pressure increases as the velocity increases, how are they inversely proportional?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

08/05/2008 10:45 AM

What, there is no direct relationship between pressure and flow?

I have a static situation with a pump, length of pipe & a valve closed. This will give me my maximum pressure and minimal(none) flow. I fully open the valve (surface area removed), I will now have minimal pressure (hence pressure drop) and maximum flow. Sounds like a direct relationship to me. Now it can be controlled by various methods and differences minimized, but by themselves it is as direct as it gets.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

08/05/2008 10:52 AM

Here is another useful formula for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_equation

Register to Reply

08/05/2008 11:10 AM

Mind you there is the need to be specific with the pressure available. Is it the service provider pressure P1? Then what would be the second pressure value. Is it the Atmospheric Pressure 'P2'? Then you need to get the length of the pipe converted to head Z. The head H would also be considered if you are taking water to a higher level. But on both sides of the equations you need to see which values would go to zero. This would enable for the simplification of the equation. The velocity at the section of interest would then be obtained.

Register to Reply
Guru
Spain - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 25

08/14/2008 12:49 PM

There is no relationship between pressure and velocity.

Velocity means flow and flow is produced only when there exist some differential pressure.

You can have any pressure value with no flow (zero velocity) just think on a closed volume (a tire, a football/soccer ball...). You can increase the pressure to any value till it explodes and no flow/velocity are present.

You need to know some more parameters. Mr. Abdel Halim Galala post gave you the general flow equation. Just apply it to your case.

Kind regards

06/06/2009 8:07 AM

I am confused to calculate the required flow rate from the pipeline. Q=AV is the formula for calculating Flow (fluid is water).I have pipe diameter and pressure. Let me know how to calculate velocity.Is there any perfect relation between pressure and velocity.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Spain - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #10

06/07/2009 5:57 AM

Hello,

As you can see if read previous posts, there's no relationship between pressure and velocity.

Flow rate/velocity is a function of differential pressure. You need to have one more "datum" to calculate it.

Kind regards

01/07/2010 6:44 PM

the formula for calculating velocity is distance divided by time... V=D/t

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

01/28/2010 2:30 PM

P=($*(g*h)^0.5 )*V

Where P=pressure N/m^2

$=density of material (kg/m^3)

g= 9.81 m/sec^2

h=Length of element

V= velocity m/s

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #13

01/19/2011 5:41 AM

how the unit shall be calculated. I calculated 'h' here but the unit is coming N^2*s^4/Kg^2*m. How it comes??

Register to Reply
Participant

02/05/2013 10:15 PM

Q= A V

P (pressure)= 1000 V^2 ..... (trust me)

P= F/A = m a / A = m V / A t = m Q / A^2 t = Q' (l/s = kg/s) Q(m^3/s) / A^2

= 1000 Q^2 / A^2 = 1000(V A)^2 / A^2 = 1000 V^2 !!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 24

08/29/2013 12:03 PM

Dear Mr. takle,

It is very simple. Convert the pressure into HYDRO STATIC COLUMN and term it as H in Feet or Metre.

Then velocity (theoritical) will be Sr.Root of 2gH, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and H is the Head in Ft. or Metre. g will be 32.2 Ft/Sec^2 or 9.81 M/Sec^2

Then Co.eff of Velocity will come into picture and use the appropriate value.

DHAYANANDHAN.S

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 24

04/08/2014 12:20 PM

Dear Mr.takle,

Refer any Standard Hydraulics Book. You will find the following.

1.Bernoulli's Equation

2. POTENTIAL ENERGY = KINETIC ENERGY which describes as m x g x h = 1/2 x m x V^2

DHAYANANDHAN.S

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 19 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Abdel Halim Galala (1); alexyartey (1); Anonymous Poster (8); BudT (1); dhayanandhan (2); Kwetz (2); nobeliefs (1); PWSlack (1); Sonave Sunsets (2)

Previous in Forum: Determining the size of a motor to drive the gate   Next in Forum: Q.C,INSPECTOR
You might be interested in: Air Velocity Flow Sensors, Gas Flow Meters, Flow Meters