CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: shearing machine   Next in Forum: heat loss from non-insulated pipeline
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

9 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 55

Where to find 6 Inch Schedule 20 PVC

08/05/2008 2:56 AM

One of my earlier designs uses 4" Schedule 20 PVC pipe. This is thin walled extruded pipe. It carries no pressure rating and is limited in application to carrying run offs from downspouts and similar uses.

I can't seem to find it in 6" diameter. Schedule 40 has too thick a wall thickness and is thus far too heavy.

Does anyone know if they make Schedule 20 in 6" diameter? Or, failing that, can anyone suggest an alternatuve?

Thanks

L. J.

"Both the revolutionary and the creative individual are perpetual juveniles. The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing." Eric Hoffer
Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 70

Re: Where to find 6 Inch Schedule 20 PVC

08/05/2008 4:14 AM

You could try drainage quality uPVC. In UK it's only available in metric. 4" = 110mm OD, 3mm thick, 6" = 160mm OD, 4-5mm thick (can't remember exact thickness and don't have data to hand). Don't know where you're based but likely to be something similar available, which should be OK.

Cheers.....Codey

Good Answers: 19

08/06/2008 2:03 AM

Try Schedule 120. Here's a table of dimensions.

http://www.harvel.com/tech-specs-pvc-pipe-120.asp

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

08/06/2008 6:17 AM

sewer pipe has thinner wall than standard schleduls 40 pvc. try a plumbing supply shop

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 26

08/06/2008 7:16 AM

Where are you?

I have it. Au$55/6m, plus GST.

Stu.

08/06/2008 7:44 AM

To all who responded, thanks. I found a standard pipe schedule I was unaware of here in the US: Schedule 5.

I followed Bubbapedi's link and found a whole new source of clear extrusions in variety of cross sections, including Schedule 120.

Thanks Bubba!

Problem solved; I'm disconnecting from this thread.

L.J.

"Both the revolutionary and the creative individual are perpetual juveniles. The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing." Eric Hoffer
Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

08/06/2008 12:34 PM

Call your local farm supply, they should have it. They use it for irrigating.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

08/06/2008 12:57 PM

"Call your local farm supply, they should have it. They use it for irrigating."

Wow! I live in a rural community with lots of farms. That idea never occurred to me!

The local Loew's carries the 4" version in two types: solid tubing and one that has many half inch holes to allow the water to migrate into the surrounding soil.

Hopefully the 6" you speak of will be solid. Another advantage of this idea is that it's likely available locally in lengths 10 feet and under. No shipping and handling expense.

I'll contact the local Grange

Thanks

L. J.

Register to Reply
Guru

08/08/2008 8:08 PM

I'm not sure what it was that led me to believe that 6" schedule 20 was not made here in the US.

Yesterday I visited my local supplier and asked about it. His response was: "I have 6 pallets outside. Each has about 100 sections, each 10 feet long. How much would you like?"

$25 later I was out the door with a ten foot section.

The project was completed within an hour if getting to the shop.

Thanks all!

L. J.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/03/2009 3:17 PM

I am trying to find Sec.20 white pvc in 4" could youplease send me any info where to find it.captainrods@aol.com or call me at 815-482-1072

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); bubbapebi (1); Codemaster (1); Laughing Jaguar (3); Stueywright (1)

Previous in Forum: shearing machine   Next in Forum: heat loss from non-insulated pipeline
You might be interested in: Plastic Pipe, Pipe Fittings, Industrial Pipe

Advertisement