Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Building Quadricylces in Mexico or China   Next in Forum: Cost Comparison: Diesel and Heating Oil vs. Gasoline
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

25 comments
Participant

Fuel Pump Problems in 2000 Chevy Cavalier

08/16/2008 10:21 PM

My girl friend has a 2000 chevy cavalier with a fuel pump problem. We replaced fuel pump a month ago and four years before that. The pump won't work some times. Fuse is good and have swapped relays too. It's been three weeks since it quit last time. I"ve checked all the plugins and used dialectric grease on all plugs. Has anyone else had these problems?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 41

Re: 2000 cavalier fuel pump works off and on.

08/16/2008 10:44 PM

Don't know if this is related, but years ago I had a problem with my fuel pump (not a Chevy), not working and blowing fuses, the problem turned out to be the voltage regulator on the alternator.

Regards JD.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 2

Re: Fuel Pump Problems in 2000 Chevy Cavalier

08/17/2008 11:36 PM

check to see if the ventilator (a tiny hole through the fuel tank cap) is blocked. Or just buy a new cap. As long as there is pressure in the gas tank, the fuel pump will probably work fine with a plugged vent, but if on a cold day a vacuum builds up, the pump can't get suction, it'll cavitate, run hot (the fuel cools the pump), and use excess amps and burn out. Also, a lot of cars now have two fuel pumps--one at the tank and one at the engine. If the one at the tank is broken or poorly functioning, it might be the problem. Thank click and clack. It's what they would say.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 12

08/18/2008 3:09 AM

How do you know it is the fuel pump?

j.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 43

08/18/2008 5:37 AM

hello desperadojmo, I found this online and it seems to cover how to trouble shoot most if not all the causes for what your describing.

2000 chevy cavalier still no start Yahoo Answers

hope this helps, it seems the chevy cavaliers are starting to have problems of this vintage.

metalSmith's

Good Answers: 23

08/18/2008 10:59 AM

Get an OBDII reader. They cost about $128 from an Auto Parts Store. Your connection will work because they fit cars built after 1994.

You reset the codes for the car and try starting it and driving it until the light kicks on again. The display will not only tell you what the problems for every issue the car has.

I used it on my 2001 Kia Sportage. It was running rough, it not only told me that it was missing on a cylinder but told me which cylinder was missing. I had a fouled plug.

They are worth the investment and it's good to know in advance what you are taking your car in the shop for instead of paying extra for the shop to waste labor doing a lot of troubleshooting.

On another note:

Cavaliers have come up on these forums more then any other automobile about having problems. I used to sell cars for a Dodge, BMW, Suzuki dealership and we had about 4 used Cavaliers and all of them were plagued with being hard starters to begin with and were hard to see. Cavaliers seem to me to be a poor car.

Good Answers: 6

08/18/2008 10:00 PM

Try checking for a good ground for the pump, use a multimeter at the underhood plugin, and also look for a hot spot ( melted plastic ) in the fuse panel under the hood. Remove the associated relays and fuses and check for a bad female connector that the relays and fuses plug into , the plastic around the bad connector will be melted slightly from the heat generated by a poor connection. I have seen this before. Replace the fuel filter . If you can get to the pump plug under the back seat i would also suggest you check for corroded wiring at the pump plug itself . Remove the plugin at the tank and pull each wire on the plug with needle nose pliers , if one wire seems to stretch as you pull then you have found the culprit . I have seen this in a 10 year old vehicle . Best of luck .

In reply to #6

12/02/2009 1:57 PM

i was drivin and exceleratin to the speed limit and then the car made a studer noice then it shut off so i coasted to the side and pulled over and tryed startin the car but it wont start. what could be the problem? is it the fuel pump or somethin else?

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #13

02/09/2010 9:16 AM

My car is doing the same thing, excelerating to the speed limit then shutting off. After it sits for about 10 - 15 minutes, it will start back up again, only to stop after driving for a little bit. What ended up fixing the problem with your car?

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Location: Tri cities, Washington state Republic of the 50 states of America
Good Answers: 35

08/19/2008 11:04 AM

I can't say for the Cavalier specifically, but Chevy likes to use the oil pressure gage input to run the fuel pump. The relay is just for a signal to get the process started until the oil pressure comes up. The oil pressure sending unit from Chevy is a problem even when new. Look for the test plug in for when the car was new. One wire socket of the plug when jumped with power will run the fuel pump for test purposes only(do not try until you know which one).

If you plan to work on this car very much get the code reader and a Helms service manual(over 100.USD). You will be surprised what can be done with them.

Brad

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 110

08/19/2008 10:05 PM

This thread seems to be struggling to go forward. Perhaps this old post will shed some new ideas around.

This vehicle has a fuel pump test lead under the hood. It is red in color. It is at the rear of the driver's side front shock absorber tower. There should be about six inches of the wire sticking out of the harness. The end of the red wire has a black plastic terminal protector over it. The terminal is the type that slides over a 1/4" flat male "spade" terminal. If you run a jumper wire with a 10 amp fuse in it to this red wire, the car should run. If it does, you have a problem in the oil pressure switch circuit.

This oil pressure switch circuit starts at the 20 amp "fuel control fuse". That fuse is not in the fuse panel, it should be under the hood, behind the passenger front shock tower. Look for the orange wire in and out of a small black plastic housing, 1"x1.5"x 1/2". Test this fuse next. From the fuse it then runs through an orange wire to the oil pressure switch. After the oil pressure switch the wire is now tan with a white tracer on it. That wire runs all the way to the in tank fuel pump. One of the wires you connected to your new fuel pump was tan /white. Somewhere between the oil pressure switch and the fuel pump, there is another tan/white wire that joins your tan/white wire this additional wire is used to allow the fuel pump relay to turn on the fuel pump while starting.

I hope this will allow you to do some additional testing. Good luck.

In reply to #8

11/16/2008 7:53 PM

Bob,

On that part about the jumper wire. Do you run the jumper between this red wire and B+ of the battery or what?

Thanks.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

In reply to #9

11/18/2008 12:20 AM

Yes. Right to the battery terminal. I included the fuse as a safety precaution, in case there is a short. If not the wire should provide power to the in tank electric fuel pump.

05/26/2009 12:02 PM

i just replaced my fuel pump. it still wont work.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

05/26/2009 11:32 PM

When you jumped the red wire, did the old fuel pump run or make any noises? I thought you were trying to find what it took to get the old pump to run?

In reply to #12

12/10/2009 8:24 PM

I've been having the same problem. It started a couple of years ago. Car just quit on me. Had tank and all pulled and came to find out it is just in the wiring. Someone rewired it right to the fuse box inside the car. Then I had a college redo it. Ran fine for months and couple of days ago, same darn thing. When it don't start, all I do is bang on the gas tank (just like you would with a starter) and will fire up. Almost looks like the wiring might be pinched. I'm wondering if this could be a flaw in these cars. But, it's a temporary solution till I can get it looked at. Winter now and don't make it any easier!! Hope this helps.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

12/11/2009 9:48 AM

Welcome to the insanity.

Rule #1 The last one that touched it screwed it up.

Banging on the fuel pump may signal a bad fuel pump itself. Try to not let the fuel level drop below half. If the in tank pump stays submerged in fuel, it may not need to be "bang started" Good luck.

08/20/2010 1:02 AM

Bob C....I know this is an old post but it sure sounds like you know what your taking about. I am looking for the red lead test wire but I am not seeing it...Anywere else it could be....under the air filter box maybe?

Here is the problem..

""Changed the fuel filter on my moms Caviler with 68k on it about, which was the original.

I backed the car up onto ramps with about 1/4 left in the tank. When I pulled the filter I noted that I got quite a bit of fuel that came out, like almost gushing out compared to when I do my 06 F150...but anyways put the new one in and went to start it and nothing....

At first I just turned that key over a few times to re prime the fuel lines then went to crank it, still got a no start...just cranks. Took it down off the ramps thinking that with maybe only a 1/4 in the tank all the fuel went forward, even put in another 3 gallons to bring the tank up to a 1/2 and still nothing...

I checked all the fuses and relays for the fuel pump and all are good.

I then pulled the fuel line back off the filter and had someone crank it over and I got nothing out of the fuel line...so the fuel pump is not pumping at all!

Whats going on here?

Is there a fuel pump inertia switch for this car?...I looked forever in the owners manual and did not see anything about one...

Only thing I can think of is that with a 1/4 in the tank at the time, if the fuel pump was in the back of the tank, air was introduced and somehow got air locked?....don't even know if that is possible but that's all I Got.""

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

08/24/2010 9:15 PM

Sorry for the time delay. If you can not find the red plastic terminal connector, go to the oil pressure switch. There should be three wires on it if there is only one OPS, and two wires if there is a separate oil pressure switch for the gauge, or light. Look for a tan colored wire in the wires that are connected to the OPS. Run a jumper wire from the battery positive to the tan wire, BUT, use a 20amp inline fuse in the jumper wire to protect everything. That should bring power to the fuel pump. Listen for it while jumping. Additionally, there should be some SMALL spark as the jumper is connected. This would be the power being used by the fuel pump. Some times allowing a fuel pump to become dry will cause it to seize. You may be able to bump start it and buy some time with it, but it should not thought as a repair. Try connecting the jumper wire and then bumping the bottom of the fuel tank. This may start it again. If that does not cause the pump to run, it may need a new pump. This is fairly common in these vehicles. Before you replace a pump, check the tan wire at the fuel pump connector. It should be live with the jumper wire connected. If not, do not remove the fuel tank until you can bring power to the fuel pump. Good luck.

PS. There is also a ground wire for the electric fuel pump in the area near the tank. It should be black. It must be grounded to make the pump work.

In reply to #19

03/16/2013 12:06 PM

Bob:

Your info on this old thread is the most useful I have found. Hope it it still active.

Fuel problem on 94 cavalier. Fuel pump not running but I do not think it is getting power. Tried the jump you suggest and still no fuel. You refer to a tan and white wire at the fuel pump. My circuit diagram says grey goes to the fuel pump. Is this a model year difference? I unhooked the connector with the grey wire at the pump and checked for voltage while in run and cranking - no voltage.

Before I try the jump on this to see if I have a bad wire, I want to be sure I am checking the right thing. The other two wires are red and black and appear to be the fuel guage. There is another connector here with red, black and brown. Want to be sure I am checking the right one.

Thanks

Barry

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

08/20/2010 1:16 AM

O btw, its a 2000 with the 2.4l

Thanks for any help!!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

02/18/2011 5:39 AM

I have had the same problem with my wife's 2000 Chevy Cav. It all started when she ran out of gas on the highway. I purchased a new fuel pump and replaced it. About a month later, I could not get the car to start and I thought that is was the fuel pump again since the car would turn over but not run. After about a month of research and forum reading I was not able to find a solution to fuel pump dilema. I went back and dropped the tank again to check the wires and make sure nothing had come loose. Everything looked good, so I put it all back together. When I went to crank the engine it started. Fuel was pumping to the engine and it all looked good again. NOT.

About two weeks later it did the same thing, again. Long story short I have figured out that if I disconnect the wiring harness where it plugs into the body of the vehicle let it sit for a while and plug it back in; the fuel pump will start working again.

I have considered everything from the oil pressure switch, the fuel pump relay, the ignition switch, and the ignition control module. But, I do not have the time or money to invest in testing and/or replacing parts.

I looked some of the service history on the car and noticed that the ignition switch was replaced on the vehicle in 2003 for excessive heat. I have also seen that the ignition switch is a cause for problems in the vehicles. I am not sure whether this combined with other issues would cause the unique problem and solution that I have. I am still reluctant to take the vehicle to the dealership so that the "professionals" can take a look at it for fear that I will end up costing $600 - $800.

I hope this helps! I still have to do the harness disconnect thing every two to three weeks.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

02/18/2011 7:02 AM

In your case, if you are going to the harness to disconnect it, why don't you attach an additional wire to the wire that is used to supply power to the pump between the pump and the harness where you are disconnecting it? If you get a small indicator light and attach it to the new wire, you will be able to see if there is power to the pump when you find it dead. Just a thought that would not cost much, and is within the range of what you are already doing.

01/17/2012 1:18 AM

i also am having this issue one day the car wouldnt start... so we replaced the fuel pump it started briefly then quit now it wont start no power to the connector to the fuel pump at all, also replaced the relay, tryed all the jumper tests too, now my security has been tripped for many years and if i turned on my key real quick then turned it off then turned it on it would trip the security and u would have to do the 5mins x 3 thing, however now i cant trip the security to try to reset it i did however do the 5mins x3 thing anyway and it didnt help either i am at my wits end here i hate to buy a new car but it looks like i may have to.....

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

01/17/2012 1:41 PM

Read post #19, and let me know if that allows your pump to run. Normally the pump receives power through the oil pressure switch, and only relies on the relay to start the car. Good luck.

In reply to #22

01/17/2012 1:41 PM

Welcome to the site.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (6); Barry866 (1); bob c (8); DrUnKeN_TiGeR (1); edc1780 (1); Jack Jersawitz (1); Janissaries (1); jdretired (1); machine head (1); metalSmiths (1); mnjean (1); rbixby (1); U V (1)

Previous in Forum: Building Quadricylces in Mexico or China   Next in Forum: Cost Comparison: Diesel and Heating Oil vs. Gasoline
You might be interested in: Vacuum Greases and Vacuum Pump Oils, Fuel Cells, Grease Fittings