CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: ABS Price Variations   Next in Forum: Reducing Urea Conveyor Spillage and Leaking
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

4 comments
Participant

Calculating Forging Press Tonnage

08/21/2008 12:48 PM

i have worked at forging area.please tell me how to calculate forging press tonnage

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: forging
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

Good Answers: 69

Re: how to calculate forging press tonnage

08/21/2008 1:26 PM

At my forge shop, we have 3 hydraulic presses. A 50K, a 35K, and an 18K ton. Pressure is measured by transducers, (up to 4500 psi), from the main pumps, to the rams. A conversion chart provided by the press manufacturer, (Loery), gives actual forge pressure.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 95

Re: Calculating Forging Press Tonnage

08/22/2008 8:40 AM

if your forge has a pressed area of 1000 square inches and you apply 100 pounds per square inch over this area = 100,000 pounds or 50 tons.

at 4000 pounds per square inch this is 4,000,000 pounds = 2000 tons.

to apply this pressure you need a mechanical or hydraulic system capable of applying this pressure. In the case of hydraulic it would need the same cylinder area of 1000 square inches with an applied pressure of 4000 psi to squeeze a bed of 1000 square inches.

They may also use a cam or screw mechanism to multiply the force, to allow for small cylinders with more travel.

Good Answers: 1

08/22/2008 8:41 AM

If you are referring to actual tonnage exerted in the machine, most modern presses (in the last 20 or so years) have strain gages connected to the ram that can display tonnage values. They can also be interconnected to interrupt the stroke in the event of an overload. In the area of design, most simulation software packages for forging will output the force needed for various shapes. A simpler, more crude method is to calculate the tonnaged based on your part's maximum cross-sectional area. For instance, for steel, you may see anywhere from 70 to 150 tons per square inch, depending on if you are forging cold, warm, or hot.

In reply to #3

09/16/2008 4:25 AM

its ok,i want to formula

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

aurizon (1); Bricktop (1); Forgemaster (1); rajaruban (1)

Previous in Forum: ABS Price Variations   Next in Forum: Reducing Urea Conveyor Spillage and Leaking

Advertisement