Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Heat Exchanger Plat Type   Next in Forum: about clause of bolt and nut using
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

9 comments
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

What is major hydraulic threat ?

09/18/2008 4:36 AM

From your experience, what are most dangerous parts of hydraulics?

Is it true ? http://www.hydraulicsupermarket.com/injury.html

Thank you for attention.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 221

Re: What is major hydraulic threat ?

09/18/2008 7:03 AM

The fluid in most systems the fluid may set in the reservoirs for years. Water condensates in the fluid which breeds bacteria.

Pin hole leaks. Can cut thru skin tissue and be injected under the skin.

Good Answers: 38
In reply to #1

09/18/2008 12:11 PM

ozzb :

I'm in total agreement.I've also seen where preventive maintenance is not performed and hoses fail. The Cradle from a dumper was about 14 feet in the air with about 5 thousand pounds of load when the break occured. The safety valves shut down but the cradle dropped about a foot. Scared the sh*t out of the tech. He thought the whole thing was going to topple over on him.

Most of the time you won't even see the leak, just the puddle. Slice you like a knife.

Good Answers: 5

09/18/2008 8:32 AM

If you're running high pressure, especially if greater than 1000 PSIG, The connectors on the end of the hoses can break off, or a hose weak from rubbing against a hard surface can suddenly burst without warning. The hose will flail about wildly spraying hot oil on everyone and everything within its reach. This can and has caused serious injuries. ALWAYS carefully inspect all hoses and connections at regular intervals and document the inspections (Date, Time, Inspector).

Good Answers: 9

09/18/2008 11:26 AM

You better believe it's TRUE. I saw a persons arm at a plant in my area 3 years after he had a similar situation. It was not a pretty site and he was still having infection cut out from the contaminated oil in the wound.

How do you think Medical Shots are given without using a Needle? Have you ever seen pictures of a persons arm after they jerked and moved while being injected with the No Needle process?

I tell all my classes to never check for a hydraulic Leak with their hand or any part of their body. Use a Broom Handle or other object, NEVER YOUR HAND.

Rory's Safety Site is the best on the Internet, in fact the only one I know of. He is not trying to scare people , just INFORM THEM OF THE DANGERS OF HYDARULIC SYSTEMS AT PRESSURE.

Good Answers: 55
In reply to #3

09/18/2008 11:14 PM

Bus wrote: "I tell all my classes to never check for a hydraulic Leak with their hand"

I'm sorry the VW mechanic I knew wasn't a student in your class. . . . . . perhaps he'd have had more sense than to place his hand under the diesel injector tester while pumping it!

I'm not sure what he was thinking because he knew that the direct injection used on diesels requires enormous pressure.

He was rushed to the hospital by ambulance and doctors worked hard to prevent the embolism that would have surely killed him.

While an employee for Daimler-Benz' North American distributor, I watched as a technician replaced the steel fuel injector lines on a high mileage MB diesel truck engine.

"Leaking?" I asked.,

"No. The factory requires us to replace them at 150,000 mile intervals"

"Why?"

"Here's why . . . . . . . ." and he placed the old injector lines on the floor and smacked it with a ball peen hammer."

The line shattered!

The high frequency, cyclical high pressures inside diesel fuel injector lines apparently work harden the lines to where they become brittle.

Ever since then, I don't stand near diesel engines when they are running with the hood open.

And yet another instance was when I was helping an aircraft inspector perform an Annual on an aircraft equipped with hydraulically actuated retractable landing gear.

"Don't work under the wing like that when the gear is retracted" he cautioned.

It's the oil under pressure that's holding up that gear. Should any part in the circuit let go, the gear will drop into position. They design it that way on purpose.

With that he released the emergency pin to free fall the gear and everything came down with a resounding thud that rattled every window in the hanger.

L. J.

"Both the revolutionary and the creative individual are perpetual juveniles. The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing." Eric Hoffer
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Anonymous Poster

09/19/2008 4:11 AM

pressure of water

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 70

09/19/2008 8:40 AM

Absolutely true.

A mechanic in my US Army Chinook unit was trying to find a leak in a flight control hydraulic system on a Hook in Vietnam. Those systems operate at 3000 PSI. Turned out it was a pin hole leak up in the aft pylon and as he was reaching up trying to track it down it cut off the tips of 3 fingers at the first knuckle. It was such a surgically clean cut he only noticed what happened when he realized the red stuff running down his arm was not hydraulic fluid.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #7

09/19/2008 12:16 PM

Roger that Hooker!

Register to Reply
Power-User

09/19/2008 2:34 PM

Even when the pressure is much smaller in pneumatics i think,(may be i am wrong)is more dangerous.I think the cause for this is the pressure drops when you open something because the oil is not compressible and is not reservoir of energy as compressed air so i should look for close the gas accumulator (nitrogen commonly) of hydraulic pressure when it exists.Normally hydraulics is safe to me.-

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); BudT (1); charsley99 (1); ferquiza (1); Hooker (1); Laughing Jaguar (1); ozzb (1); Techart (1)

Previous in Forum: Heat Exchanger Plat Type   Next in Forum: about clause of bolt and nut using
You might be interested in: Hydraulic Repair Services, Hydraulic and Pneumatic Testing Services, Hydraulic Cylinders