Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Hydrogen Gas injection into Gas and Diesel Motors   Next in Forum: 2004 Chevy Impala - Sound from ABS/ Traction Control
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

40 comments
Power-User

2003 Ram 1500 Losing Antifreeze With No Signs of Leak

11/19/2008 3:31 PM

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 that has suddenly started losing antifreeze. I must add a gallon approximately every 600 miles. there are no puddles or signs of leakage around radiator and no signs of contamination in oil. I've had this truck for 3 years and the problem just started within the last several months.

Can anyone suggest possible causes/remedies?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 218

Re: 2003 Ram 1500 losing antifreeze w/ no signs of leak

11/19/2008 3:46 PM

Blown head gasket, bad radiator cap, leak in heater core, leak in hose were its dripping on the engine and evaporating.

In reply to #1

11/20/2008 5:37 PM

Tried replacing radiator cap with a new pressure release and it sprayed the whole underside of the engine compartment, so I replaced w/ new 16 lb. non- pressure release and no evidence of leak as of yet.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 139
In reply to #1

11/24/2008 1:44 PM

if its a cracked head or a blown head gasket,

remove you spark plug and check each cylinder, if there is a green tint to the plug its in that cylinder its leaking.

phoenix911

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 64

11/19/2008 4:26 PM

Leaking from your water pump at high rpm.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 7

11/19/2008 5:06 PM

Sounds like your head gasket is going out. The missing anti-freeze is leaking into one of your cylinders and going out your tail pipe.

Check the smell of the exhaust and if it has a sweet smell, then its a head gasket. (Don't stick your nose in the tailpipe, use some common sense so you don't kill yourself. Waft the exhayst twards you with your hand while standing well clear.)

Check the oil in the engine. If it is abnormally high and/or looks like chocalate milk, that is another tell-tale sign of a bad head gasket.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #3

11/20/2008 10:09 AM

Yes, a way to see of you have a leaking head gasket is to check your oil and see if there is any water on your dip stick.

In reply to #11

11/20/2008 5:35 PM

Thanks,

No oil/ water contamination or dripping from exhaust or anywhere that I have been able to notice.

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 98
In reply to #16

11/21/2008 2:35 AM

Are you being punked?

Good Answers: 6

11/19/2008 11:13 PM

If an engine is burning oil, the exhaust gases turn blue. If it's burning coolant that is slipping past a head gasket and getting into the combustion chamber, then look for white exhaust gases.

In reply to #4

11/20/2008 5:38 PM

no smoke at exhaust unless it's really cold outside.

In reply to #18

11/20/2008 10:18 PM

Then, like others have posted, leak likely is a slow seep that evaporates off of the block right away. Suggest adding a fluorescent dye (available from NAPA) additive to the coolant system. Drive vehicle to make sure it is warmed up. Then use an ultraviolet light in a dark garage to try to identify the area leak. Any leak will glow a bright, light green. Look for a glowing thin line at hose connections and at the edge of gaskets, etc.

11/20/2008 1:08 AM

Have compression tester use it.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 149

11/20/2008 5:42 AM

Reading through I feel that you have already been given most if not all of the various possibilities and some good but simple methods to find out which one affects your motor....I personally favour the head gasket as being most likely the cause and a short conversation with a mechanic who works on these engines, should help further on a decision to be made.

Depending upon the number of miles already covered, you may want to give the valves a clean and light re-grind as with the head(s) off for the gasket problem, you may as well do that too......

Keep us informed on your findings.

Good Answers: 1

11/20/2008 7:11 AM

Hello noshorts,

The head gasket is the first thought of many, and is the likely cause. Since you must remove the heads, it would be prudent to also have the heads checked for cracks by a reputable engine machine shop.

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #7

11/23/2008 11:03 PM

Good idea. If he has been running it a gallon low for any length of time, the heads haven't been cooled properly and cracking between valve ports is likely and possibly warped the heads. Both conditions could allow minor seepage at operating speed/temperature/pressure that isn't evident when cold or at idle.

11/20/2008 7:23 AM

As with many others, I would suggest head gasket, but if you say oil shows no signs of contamination it may not be the case. Have you checked transmission fluid for signs of contamination? If you have towing package, you proabably have an exchanger that will reject heat from tansmission fluid into coolant. May want to check this before you ruin transmission.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 110
In reply to #8

11/22/2008 12:21 AM

You deserve a good answer for your information concerning transmission coolers. As soon as you get a chance to register, I'm sure it will get to you.

11/20/2008 8:25 AM

Mistake #1 buying a damned dodge.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

11/20/2008 12:14 PM

Whoa up there Chrysler is the safety minded truck maker they write dodge on front and rear

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 74

11/20/2008 10:00 AM

I had a pin-hole leak in a radiator that was so small it didn't leak unless the temperature and pressure were up. As such, it was hard to find and didn't leave a pubble behind because the coolant was lost during driving. To find it, I removed the radiator fan and shroud and let it get up to temperature. Using a piece of paper I was able to locate the leak.

Good luck on your quest !

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #10

11/20/2008 4:15 PM

Yea, I had that happen on an RX7 as well. The leak eventually became big enough to become noticable and I replaced the radiator. (No fun task on a '93 RX7 I'll tell you) the leak was where they bonded the plastic top to the metal radiator. Give me an all metal radiator every time please.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 149
In reply to #10

12/01/2008 6:33 AM

I once had a similar leak, but it was the gasket on the filler cap, only leaked steam when under pressure......

11/20/2008 11:30 AM

I have a 2000 dodge with the 3.9L V-6 with the same problem. My situation turned out to be that the intake manifold bolt heads would break off due to material flaws. A static pressure test showed the leak right away.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #12

11/20/2008 6:46 PM

Bingo! Static pressure testing allows you to push the coolant through the leak on a cold, static engine. So much better than sticking one's head down into a hot engine compartment with a spinning fan and / or belts.

Register to Reply
Associate

11/20/2008 12:40 PM

Pull the sparkplugs and note if any come out super clean. burning antifreeze from a head or intake gasket seems to clean the plug really good.

Keep your nose alert to the 'sweet smell' from the exhaust, interior or engine copmpartment.

If you have access to a bore-a-scope, you may be able to look inside the cylinders for any indication of a leak. Hope this helps.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

11/21/2008 9:47 AM

A very common place for a coolant system to leak, though often overlooked, is the heater core. Also, I have a 2001 dodge ram with a 318 V8 that leaks slightly from the freeze plugs on the side of the engine block.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

11/21/2008 10:33 AM

Check that you oil level isn't rising. I would only be concerned if it is a head gasket issue and coolant is contaminating the oil.

If you can't pinpoint the source, I'd guess it will keep getting worse until it's really obvious. I would think your loss would be visible with the engine hot and running.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

11/21/2008 12:03 PM

I recently experienced the same problem with my pontiac grand am. I could not find a leak anywhere, even placed radiator over-flow tube into a soda bottle to see if I was leaving fliud on the road. I finally caught it when having the oil changed, service tech showed me the oil cap off engine, it had about 1/2 inch of goo on bottom. It turned out that the antifreeze solution had an additive that is not compatible with the INTAKE manifold gaskets, it was going out the tailpipe along. It showed up in the oil as the consumption of antifreeze increased.

Hope this helps.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

11/22/2008 12:48 AM

There are very few problems that can not be diagnosed before tearing it apart. The first easy test that you should try at the point you are at would be to pull the rug on the floor of the passenger's side back from the firewall until you get to the floor. If the rug is wet, get a white paper napkin and soak some of the wetness into it. If it is the same color as the antifreeze, your heater is leaking.

If not wet, get your cooling system pressure tested. Go to the maximum pressure allowed by your radiator cap. That will usually show up any external leaks. If the pressure is dropping, but no external leak, remove the spark plugs, and keep pressurizing the cooling system as the pressure drops. After about a half hour of this, Turn over the engine and watch for coolant to shoot out of the spark plug holes. If there is coolant coming out of the spark plugs, it is time for a compression check of the engine. If there is no water coming out of the spark plug holes, continue pumping the pressure, while not exceeding the max pressure of the system until you find the coolant. The only place you have not checked so far now will be the transmission cooler in the radiator. BUT, if the cooler inside the radiator was not sealed from the coolant, the transmission fluid should be in the radiator. The radiator is at 16PSI. The transmission is at 250PSI or so. Let us know what you find.

You should not tear the engine apart on a hunt for a coolant loss this slow. If one of your freeze out plugs is seeping coolant out onto the hot engine block, a head gasket replacement bill is going to piss you off worse than you are now.

In reply to #26

11/22/2008 2:24 AM

And, a GA to you.

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #26

11/22/2008 9:38 AM

excellent answer.the use of a presure test is the presure applied will show where or if as it rarely occurs a pin hole or eak spot in the heads or the block may be located.

i had the opportunity of learning to use a rad cap pressure tester and the system pressurizer after tearing a 305 apart for the same leak problem, tore the hearts off had them rebuilt new gaskets torqued the them down put in new rad hoses flushed the rad, still had the same problem. then duh, didja check the cap and block antifreeze plugs? duh no. a month and about a grand later i bought the testers.

/da ber

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

11/23/2008 12:38 AM

If the lesson does not cost enough, it has no value.

My lesson was a sewer cleaning truck that had a Waukesha engine running the pressure pump. Water in the oil. did the pressure test thing. No external water leak. A compression test revealed nothing. We pulled the head off, sent it to a machine shop for a magnaflux test. The shop called back and asked us if we knew there was a freeze out plug in the head that was rotted out? The plug was under the valve cover, and we never knew it was there. I think the "Village Idiot" sign is still at that shop somewhere.

I hope that I can save a few people from the pains.

In reply to #26

11/22/2008 11:04 AM

GA

it must be a huge burden to be so right so much of the time

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #29

11/22/2008 11:29 AM

in a few word, duh gee boss whad madeja think it might be the rad cap?

it is my observatioon my greatest discoveries (e,g, how willing i am o assume one condition that is actually a much simpler one and create more work and problems for myself because of the wrong asumption while ignoring any other possible position on the subjct) about my myself have been based on some of the smallest problems i have encountered along lifes roads

i can tell you that was one very expensive lesson, hopefully the original poster reads the excellent suggestion immediately before mine

'da ber

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #29

11/23/2008 12:20 AM

I am not sure that my wife shares the opinion that you and I share. LOL. Thanks.

In reply to #31

11/27/2008 10:39 PM

Mine doesn't remember what I say, she remembers what she was thinking when I said it instead

Good Answers: 14

Re: 2003 Ram 1500 Losing Antifreeze With No Signs of Leak

12/02/2008 2:00 AM

I have seen this problem before several times and have found that dodge has a water galley port between the block and the head that a very thin section of head gasket between the port and the edge of the block. The passage is at the back of the drivers side head just before the intake manifold gasket surface and if it is very slowly leaking then the coolant will drip down and be burnt off and not be visible as you can not see this area without a mirror and a good light. To check this area let the engine run until it reaches operating temperature and the cooling system is fully pressurized and you should be able to see the leak with the engine off and with the use of a mirror. If you do see a very small wet area in this area then you will have to replace the head gasket. If you do have to replace the head gasket then make sure that you use a head gasket of like thickness as chrysler uses several different thickness head gaskets on there engines.

Good Luck

02/17/2009 3:40 PM

Hey man I'm having the same probleem, I cant tell where the anifreeze is going, no choclate oil either, my mechanic told me that there was a leak in the head gasket and its going to the combustion chamber, which then evaporates out the exhaust, (i do get a lot of white smoke I thought that was because of the cold weather buts its high in comparison to my other vehicles), Its about a nine hundred dollar job with parts, autozone has the cheapest price on the gaskets and bolts, let me know how yours works out and what you did to it, my98sdimevml@yahoo.com . I also did notice that the truck sometimes seems to choke up a little in acceleration and he said that could be due to the coolant in the chamber. "good Luck" I'll let you know on my turn out.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #38

02/18/2009 12:46 AM

This is a product that NASCAR teams keep handy in case of leaks during a race.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R7X0Z80DMWTUP

Of course, any of those products kind of should be considered temporary. How temporary depends on the location and severity of the leak and your luck. Throw a few dollars at it and cross your fingers but be aware that if the problem comes back it could be massive and take out the piston, valves, rod, crank, head, etc. in an instant.

Personally, I wouldn't risk driving it. Overnight the cylinder could accumulate enough coolant to "hydraulic" the piston when you crank the engine, bending the rod.

In reply to #39

02/18/2009 11:43 AM

Have you ever heard of Blue Devil engine & cooling system sealer? About $60. But I have a 350 Chevy that is due for replacement in the next budget. It cooked one night at 65 on the interstate. It lost a gasket on the intake manifold, and leaked water externally. It also lost the head gasket on the passenger side. The gasket must hang into the cylinder, because it is now very sensitize to pinging (I backed the timing up about 15*) I drained the cooling system, removed the thermostat, refilled and added a 32oz bottle of the stuff. I am now about 6 months into it, driving it every day at least 32 miles per day. The crap looks like blue washer fluid, but it works. Sold commonly to used car lots. Find them at www.gouniversalproducts.com

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); Anonymous Poster (6); barfnagler (2); bhankiii (1); bob c (5); Brave Sir Robin (1); bwire (5); Forgemaster (1); healybj8 (2); Jaguar (2); Janissaries (1); JB of NM (1); Jspeop (1); noshorts (3); ozzb (1); phoenix911 (1); Pretendgineer (1); Repete (1); Skeeter (3)

Previous in Forum: Hydrogen Gas injection into Gas and Diesel Motors   Next in Forum: 2004 Chevy Impala - Sound from ABS/ Traction Control
You might be interested in: Safety Signs and Warning Signs, Sign and Plaque Making Services, Refrigerants, Antifreezes and Cooling Liquids