CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: project manager   Next in Forum: Turret Punchpress - Countersinking
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

8 comments
Power-User
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 2

Ampco 18 Alum Bronze equal?

01/13/2009 5:37 AM

I have a customer requesting Ampco 18 bronze I know that it is a brand name, But what is it equal, Could not find on globalspec site? Is itthe same as CDA 954 ?

TIA

Jim C

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 105

Re: Ampco 18 Alum Bronze equal?

01/13/2009 9:06 AM

Google Ampco+Bronze and you will go to ampco home page where you can get the product data

http://www.ampcometal.com/en/index.php?page=a18ext

the looks to be a proprietory composition (the properties are available)

www.nonferrousproducts.com/C63000.htm

However the extruded C63000 looks to be very similar in properties to it check the data sheets of both.and discuss with customer and decide. It is having Nickel additionally.

The material is Aluminium, Iron Bronze.

Check for this and you may get other equivalents (not much in my field, went to C63000 for some application and remembered sorry will not be able to help further)

Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.They put me in cars,they put me in yer tv.They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears.They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Anonymous Poster

01/14/2009 8:12 AM

Contact Concast Metal Products 724 538 4000 x 238

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

03/15/2009 4:39 PM

Ampco 18 is a brand name and also a special aluminum bronze that does not contain Nickel. (Nickel is detrimental to wear applications). The best thing to do is to call Ampco metal for price and delivery at 800-844-6008 (www.ampcometal.com)

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/29/2009 9:57 AM

Ampco 18 is not the same as CDA954. CDA 954 allows up to 1.5 % Nickel in the alloy where in fact Ampco 18 limits the Nickel and other elements to a maximum of 0.5 % making Ampco 18 a much better alloy with much higher mechanical properties. One also should not the Nickel in a copper base alloy is detrimental to its wear resistance, hence the limit to 0.5 % that Ampco is using. When CDA 954 is specified Ampco 18 can be used, but when Ampco 18 is specified one should not replace it with CDA 954, unless he is fully aware of the CDA 954 inferior mechanical properties and inferior wear resistance More information can be found on the AMpco web site : www.ampcometal.com Steve

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

08/20/2009 12:05 PM

CDA 954 is a generic Aluminum Bronze. with Ampco 18 you get an alloy which is Nickel-Free. this means you get better wear characteristics, higher compression resistence, and 20% higher mechanical properties. Ampco Metal is going direct to the end user so give us a call. 1-800-844-6008. thanks

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

04/14/2010 6:29 PM

Ampco 18 is no better than C95400. They are chemically equivalent. Since nickel is so expensive, it is going to be very hard to find C95400 with more than .5% nickel from any manufacturer. Also, someone listed C63000 in this thread and that is incorrect; C63000 is Ampco 45 (and it has 5% nickel!). I am remaining anonymous because Ampco likes to sue people who say that C95400 is equivalent to Ampco 18 or that C63000 is equivalent to Ampco 45.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #6

01/21/2012 8:29 AM

Such type of answer is frightening! To my limited metallurgy understanding of aluminium bronzes, 2 CDA 95400 alloys may end up with completely different mechanical and physical properties if both alloys show a chemistry at the 2 extremes of the composition range allowed by the CDA specs!?

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #7

03/20/2012 11:50 AM

AMPCO 18 - Equivalent would be AC954 which is a cast product, or C624 which is a wrought product, there are no other equivalents. Anything other than these 2 products have too much nickel. I hope that this helps you locate your material.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (5); Lou (1); Roxann Ellis (1); sb (1)

Previous in Forum: project manager   Next in Forum: Turret Punchpress - Countersinking
You might be interested in: Copper, Brass and Bronze Alloys, Metal Strip

Advertisement