Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: chiller sizing...   Next in Forum: Selecting the Right Pipe Material
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

6 comments
Participant

Threadolets Pressure Rating

01/19/2009 9:34 AM

Dear Friends

I need to know a small information regarding the maximum pressure rating to which threadolets can be used ?

second i wanted to know if weldolet or threadolet of material A105 can be used or not for piping of material a106 Gr.C

Thanks & regards

XYZ

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 18

Re: Threadolets Pressure Rating

01/19/2009 8:46 PM

Please see the previous discussion:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/31225

And yes, you can use an A105 'olet with A106-C piping, however, when performing the equivalent pipe wall thickness of the fitting I would recommend that you should use the lower strength numbers of A106-B as your basis because it more closely matches the mechanical properties of A105.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #1

01/20/2009 1:55 AM

Thanks for confirming me on the same . what i understand is i need to specify the schedule for the weldolet as that thickness which is arrived for the design conditions of pressure & temperature of A106 Gr.C by replacing the pipe material with A106 Gr.B.

Also please let me know, can we use threadolets in general for ASME 900# ( 2200 psi @ 38 deg C)? As I understand threadolets have ratings of 3000 & 6000 which is much higher.

Does that mean threadolets can withstand pressures upto 3000 psi & 6000 psi respectively?

Threadolet if used in ASME 900 Rating piping having design condition as indicated below which is around 2200 psi can be used with rating #6000 ( 6000 psi ) threadolets.

PRESS. (KPAG)

TEMP. C

• @
  • - 29/38
  • @

Is the same philosophy applicable for SS & DSS weldoets.

Regards

RACHO

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #2

01/20/2009 2:57 AM
  1. The nomenclature 3000# and 6000# have NO direct correlation to pressure rating. There is NO sense in relating to 3000 psi or 6000 psi. They are strictly "class" numbers.
  2. It seems you are trying to relate the 'olets to flange classes (900#) - this is not correct either [unless you have designed your pipe to the rating of the flanges, but, in any case you should go through this process to determine the class of 'olet you require] - you rate the 'olets to an equivalent SCH of straight pipe wall.
  3. To determine the pressure rating of an 'olet:
    1. Determine the piping code you are designing to B31.1, B31.3, .....
    2. Determine the minimum wall thickness from the pressure equation for straight pipe (for your case use the strength (@ temperature) of A106-B).
    3. Choose the next higher size of pipe schedule from ASME B36.10M
    4. Take that SCH number and relate to the class of 'olet in Table 2 of B16.11
  4. Please confirm what you mean by SS & DSS {stainless steel & duplex stainless steel?}
Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #3

01/20/2009 6:07 AM

I was wrong in my approach. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes by SS & DSS i mean Stainless Steel & Duplex Stainless Steel. Thanks my doubt is cleared. No probs.

Regards

RACHO

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #4

01/20/2009 10:11 AM

.... and yes - the approach is the same for stainless and duplex - you just must make sure to match the forging ('olet) to the similar/matching mechanical and chemical composition of the equivalent pipe material.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - pipewelder

Good Answers: 33

Re: Thread-o-lets Pressure Rating

01/20/2009 2:41 PM

Thread-o-lets are designed to be stronger than the pipe you screw into them as well as add some reinforcement to the branch/header intersection. What do you intend to screw into the thread-o-let and how hot will the pipe be? This can make a big difference. I would suggest you to look into the ASME code requirements and ratings for thread-o-lets before continuing.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Guest. (2); pipewelder (1); racho (2)

Previous in Forum: chiller sizing...   Next in Forum: Selecting the Right Pipe Material
You might be interested in: Gas Pressure Regulators, Pressure Regulators, Pressure Gauges