CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Autocad Project Help   Next in Forum: Scaffolding Systems in Civil Engineering and Maintenance
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

9 comments
Associate

Septic Tank Repair

11/02/2006 1:21 PM

Some of the older septic tanks are made with a split tank (with an upper and lower parts) (The top half was cast upside down, then inverted and the tank seam is sealed togetter) As the tanks age the seal in the seam is eroded or eaten by bacteria. Q- What is the best way to reseal the crack?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 46

Re: Septic Tank Repair

11/03/2006 2:01 AM

Sounds like a crappy job to me. If you are going to go to all the trouble to dig is up why not replace it. It is likely to continue to decay and just cause more trouble later.

Good Answers: 2

11/03/2006 4:30 AM

I guesss this is a little tongue in cheek (excuse the pun)

Solution may be to sprinkle a little concrete on the familys Corn Flakes, or perhaps it may improve efficiency if sprinkled on Meuslie

Good Answers: 7

11/03/2006 7:18 AM

Many tanks are sill made that way in this area. I sometimes replace failed Bell Siphons with the Flout Dosing Device in a two part tank. You will need to uncover the tank down to the seam. Pump out the tank. Use an excavator to remove the upper half of the tank. Clean off the mating surfaces. Place ConSeal byutal rubber on the bottom half, and replace the cover. Never enter a tank. The gases present will kill you. Remove the whole top half and work from the outside edge for safety.

Anything below the water line is usally not eaten by bacteria. Bacterias that erode concrete consume Hydrogen Sulfide gas and excrete sulfric acid, affecting the cement in the concrete. Any area of concrete above the water line will rot out before below the water line, unless the effluent pH is below say 4.

11/03/2006 9:15 AM

Replace it.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

11/03/2006 10:38 AM

One good material to consider is a polyurethane. I worked for a company that used PUR to make the seals between clay sewer pipes. It was very resistant to hydrogen sulfide gas. You do have to have the surfaces dry if you use reactive chemistry urethanes as if the material contacts moisture, carbon dioxide is formed and you get a foam, generally without a good cure.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 75

11/03/2006 6:36 PM

An easy way would be to empty the tank first. You could then introduce a plasic bag of an appropiate size and inflate it. People/companies welding plastic could make it to size.This would create a bladder inside the tank and you don't have to dig it out or do other time consuming things.Sealing any existing inlet/outlet could be done by a competent handy man. This is of the top of my head and I have not tried it, so good luck if you want to give it a go.

11/09/2006 11:37 AM

The best way, or cheepest?

If its for my house I would just use quickcreet!

The best way is to replace it with a better designed tank

Register to Reply
Participant

05/08/2010 1:03 AM

Archer

I have the exact same issue with my concrete septic tank? What did you end up doing? I am considering "sparkchaser's" solution. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Regards

Mapleman

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

05/09/2010 4:47 PM

my son was buying the masque. home and a tank pumping company sealed it with some type of mastic and guaranteed it ??????????

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); CIVILGUY (1); exemmet (1); ky (1); mapleman (1); rcapper (1); Sparkchaser (1)

Previous in Forum: Autocad Project Help   Next in Forum: Scaffolding Systems in Civil Engineering and Maintenance

Advertisement