Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: PLL RF synthesizer   Next in Forum: what will be effect on system if 240v ac and 24v dc cables will run in same cond
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

31 comments
Anonymous Poster

phasor rotation

02/13/2009 3:42 PM

Hi Folks

Why do phasors move in an anti-clockwise rotation and not in a clockwise movement?

Just wondering whats the reason.

Many thanks

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 90

Re: phasor rotation

02/13/2009 4:02 PM

Why? Because of the widely-held convention that angles increase when measured anti-clockwise. The angular rate (radians per second) x increasing time causes the phasor to rotate in an anti-clockwise direction.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 240
In reply to #1

02/13/2009 9:05 PM

I guess that that has nothing to do with the fact that kirk was right handed?

milo

Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member China - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #2

02/13/2009 9:12 PM

what they are going to do?

Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #3

02/13/2009 9:42 PM

Stun a bad guy using nonlethal red ray set to 'stun'

milo

Good Answers: 105
In reply to #8

02/13/2009 10:50 PM

I am not bad I am not guy but I am stunned

(You seem so enterprise thing)

Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.They put me in cars,they put me in yer tv.They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears.They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches
Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #3

02/13/2009 9:47 PM

They're gonna shoot Mr. Spock the moment he steps outta the shower with Nurse Chapel. Didn't you see that episode? "Plomeek My Eye!"

Guru

In reply to #9

02/13/2009 10:00 PM

Naughty Element!

Naughty Naughty Element!

milo

In reply to #10

02/13/2009 10:54 PM

Ever thought what will an Alloy af Am+Eu do Then you won't have said it.

I don't know so I didn't say.

What are the chemical, mechanical properties (espacially hardness ) of this alloy?

Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.They put me in cars,they put me in yer tv.They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears.They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Kennewick, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 101
In reply to #2

02/15/2009 1:04 AM

That's a phaser not a phasor, dumbass - grrrr.

I hate it when people get StarTrek stuff wrong!!!!!!!!

In reply to #23

02/15/2009 11:07 AM

After you've been here a while, you'll figure out that spelling is not subject to strict constructionist American usage/thinking. Same with verb tense, location in sentence relative to subject, and use of acronyms. Native english speakers are not necessarily a majority on this board.

I'll let the dumbass comment pass.

milo

In reply to #24

02/16/2009 3:07 AM

I learnt long back in my elementary classes- proper nouns you the spellings are not that important.

Guru

In reply to #26

02/16/2009 7:56 AM

I thought you were in the boot partition area of someone's hard disk...

Thx sb.

milo

In reply to #27

02/16/2009 8:45 AM

that was some times back. Do you really think that I can be satisfied with one boot. Do you really degrade me to the level of the puss ?

By the way did you notice CJs hardisk has crashed - he is silent(ly cusring) for some time now.

I will wait till he uses a hammer on it and then walks over to his neighbour to reply.

Also the OP is silent after #18 and has thanked of all persons CJ. And we have toiled so hard to spoil his party.

Guru

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #28

02/16/2009 12:11 PM

Nice try, b7t my h33rd di$k seems t. h,ve surv/ved the atta k.

Anyway please be comforted that he actually thanked "CJ and all you guys . ." as I was simply the last on the list.

Also I will work hard to remain ever so humble, since I value my new hard drive.

I do wonder if our guest ever did choose a fitting name and join us. I marvel at the lack of follow through responses. I do so appreciate those who do respond in some manner as this guest did, and hope to see him later in some thread. We will have to keep our ears pointed and sharp to ID a new poster with an interesting name.

P.S. my wife has been on me for computer time. Imagine that!

In reply to #29

02/17/2009 12:54 AM

Even at neighbours ?

For the Guest - what I liked is he has taken all of us at his stride - unlike DB in the home heating segment.

The guest should identify himself in this thread (like Guest. did when under oath he changed to XMech.

Last but not least (as we always say) - are your ears pointed too .

Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Kennewick, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 101
In reply to #24

02/18/2009 10:41 PM

Milo,

I am sorry. It was my intention to be humorous - with the geek/Star Trek thing, but I guess it backfired. Having read my post again - it didn't sound funny to me either. Please accept my apologies.

Sincerely,

Mike

02/13/2009 9:28 PM

may I give you a OT Mr M ? Captainn Kirk is not rotating the phasor, He is just shooting the phasor.

BRW - the phasors do not rotate do they ? they just leave the gun and go straight. Did you know the phasors have colour? I remember it was red? Seen them long back don't remember. Anyway more fun to be inside the gun (trying to make it backfire) than being in front or back of it. and from there I can not see the colour of phasor. It is so dark in there.

I saw one ages back when spock tried to shoot one at me. fortunately one of mine was inside and spock went poof, even before i could see the colour.

Onlyway you can rotate the phasor is to rotate the gun(its source) and then you can rotate the gun anyway you like. Look from Spock angle (before he was quarked) it was clockwise and from my side it was anticlockwise.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #4

02/13/2009 9:41 PM

"Captain Kirk is not rotating the phasor, He is just shooting the phasor."

Yes, but they're in an anti-clockwise orbit. See?

Guru

02/13/2009 9:30 PM

That . I pressed OT and my cousin changed it to GA

Sorry Milo I sincerely tried to give you a OT, you deserved it .

Guru

In reply to #5

02/13/2009 9:41 PM

it's OK sb, In honor of your memory, Here's aphoto of the red beam. You can almost sense the photons' phased rotation, can't you...?

milo

In reply to #6

02/13/2009 10:58 PM

What I see is captain Kirk committing suicide. So the colour of phasor is yellow. He has pointed the phasor through his nose (I always thought they pull the trigger through mouth ? A yellow phasor is going out of his nose and red blood in molecular form coming out from behind his head (ie 180 degrees phase shift)

I think that is why it is called phasor? it enters from one side and gets out from other (opposite side) ?

Guru

02/14/2009 12:06 AM

Much of the electricity in use is derived from rotating equipment, thus the representations of phasors express the time required for an electrical cycle or rotation (or part of one).

The direction of rotation depends on from which direction you are observing the rotation of the alternator. Producers of electricity see it from the perspective of looking out at the load, in which case an anti-clockwise rotation is observed, and early in the developement of phasor drawings this became the standardized direction of rotation.

From the user end it may seem backward, and either direction of phasor rotation would have expressed the information about the timing of the circuit elements, but the view from the supply end stuck as the normal way to draw the phasor rotation.

Regards, CJM

PS - post #1 nailed it in fewer words.

In reply to #14

02/14/2009 12:52 AM

Give me credit (look at the post #4 last para - and think from generator perspective.

Humans don't understand Gremlins.

BTW- Who said the phasors rotate only Anti-clockwise ? Did the OP heard about the negative sequence currents?

There the V and I are rotating in ?

Guru

In reply to #15

02/14/2009 2:26 AM

Forgive me, I would have done well to acknowledge that several of the humorous posts actually included accurate responses, and I had thought to do it but forgot before posting.

I only intended to provide a clear answer aside from the marvelous humor so that our OP would be able to identify the serious answers within the humor of each post.

I enjoyed the diversion and the depth of the humor, but not seeing a response from the OP in kind, I grew concerned that we had lost him and that he was not seeing that we had actually provided quite a good answer collectively. I sense that we forget to be sensitive to the difficulty when first conceiving these concepts, finding eventually that one explanation or maybe a picture finally works, and for each of us something different perhaps.

I truly delight that our diversity of perspective and experience, coupled with the delightful humorous example of not taking ourselves so seriously, works in the widest way possible to share the understandings we have acquired with as many who may seek answers here.

My humble apology and due acknowledgement of your many insightful and enjoyable posts, CJM

In reply to #16

02/14/2009 4:53 AM

Hello CJ (We call it chief Justice here) - to a gremlin an apology is never in order. (we never apologise for our actions do we ?)

We are at our level all friends (even if non human or aliens) and we barb in good humour.

Sometimes in bad one too especially when asked fifth standard question by someone who poses to be an electrical engineer (and posts in this forum) or similar cases in other forum.

Infact I don't mind if somebody says I am not an engineer but i want help (like some jeweler I remember who wanted some sort of cam.

It irritates (unfortunately) and even more so - when some un-named person without informing his antecedent and his supposed to be knowledge - asks a question that should not be asked if he has cleared even the first year of college with c grade.

And funny part is when he declares that he is a practicing graduate (well just out of college) and does not know say what is power factor compensation. .

Anyway apologies are not the order of the day and - I don't know yours but I am as you know hermophrodite - so can not say make love not war (esp on valentines day )

Well What I love about this site is the way we are able to share the knowledge (and release the pressure simultaneously)- And God (not that link) are the Engineers under pressure - At least here - despite not that much down turn in business, we are and that is courtesy cnpower ()- we struggle to maintain our share - can not compete on price so struggle with the USP - quality and try to match their delivery cycle. But stress is too high especially on mid-to high management.

But still I don't like the apologies, nor the GAs, Always want the solutions.

We post blindly (not in this case though) when one of us comes with a problem but never know who was right in the end at least then we can close with a and show to others.

Guru

In reply to #17

02/14/2009 12:44 PM

Well said. ()

In reply to #22

02/16/2009 3:06 AM

Is that for ME ? $$#

If it is I have to bring justice to justice. I am going inside the hard disk in the boot and partition area now...

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #14

02/14/2009 8:49 AM

Thanks CJ and all you guys. Understand your one CJ quite well now and tahnks for all the humour as well.

Beam Me Up Scotty!

Guru

02/14/2009 11:20 AM

I like this guest, he fits CR4 Forum.

I propose his name

Guest now you can register and after beaming down identify yourself of you may be phased out.

Guru

In reply to #19

02/14/2009 11:31 AM

Sadly, 'Q' is already taken. And so is 'Khan'. May I submit 'Harcourt Fenton Mudd, III' for your esteemed review?

Guru

In reply to #20

02/14/2009 12:29 PM

Why not saltvampire with the avatar

or gorn ?

Reply to Forum Thread 31 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); CJMcGill (4); cnpower (1); Mikerho (2); Milo (6); sb (13); user-deleted-13 (4)

Previous in Forum: PLL RF synthesizer   Next in Forum: what will be effect on system if 240v ac and 24v dc cables will run in same cond
You might be interested in: Anti-seize Compounds, Anti-malware Software