Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Anti-guided MISSILE   Next in Forum: How Should Scientists Address Misconceptions About Science: Stick or Carrot?
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

28 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 23

Who Makes the Best Work Gloves?

03/04/2009 8:13 AM

I have had it with lousy work gloves!

I swear they design them to fail.

If I spend $20-$30 on a pair of 'super heavy duty' work gloves.. I want them to last more than 20 - 30 hours.

..I know I'm rough on my gear, but sheesh!

..who's do you use?

I like to keep my mits in good shape if possible

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
Safety - Hazmat - Environmental, Safety & Health Manager Hobbies - Musician - Theremin (That about says it all...)

Good Answers: 20

Re: Who Makes the Best Work Gloves?

03/04/2009 12:06 PM

JE in Chicago,

Over the years, I've used various types of gloves, from different vendors...

You should certainly be able to get gloves that last more than 30 hours!

I have been most satisfied with gloves obtained from:

===============================================================

Just my $0.02...

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #1

03/05/2009 10:12 AM

As an employee of Magid Glove & Safety, I would like to thank JMan for the endorsement. :-) Actually, as someone else in the thread mentioned, choosing the best glove really comes down to matching up the job's requirements to a particular product's design and features. A glove for working with sheet metal in hot and oily conditions will be a lot different than one you might use for assembly or general material handling. The best thing to do is take a look at the various categories of products (e.g. machine knit, coated, leather, cut resistant, etc.) and understand which one might be best suited for your work. Once you've selected the most appropriate category, you can start looking at the various brands and features of particular products within a category. As both a manufacturer and a distributor, Magid carries our own products as well as nearly all of the glove brands mentioned above so we should have a glove that will make you happy. If you need any help along the way, give us a call!

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 128

03/04/2009 7:54 PM

I am a gloveaholic. I have gloves for every kind of work I do, and like you, I can't believe how they fall apart under pressure. Yet they are necessary.

A couple months ago I picked up a different pair of gloves to try.. and they are amazing. Comfortable, great grip, and so far they are not showing any sign of damage in general use for working with hand tools, and handling firewood indoors. I admit I haven't put them to most destructive tests. yet.

They are a black jersey glove with latex palm and fingers somehow welded on the outside: the inside is all jersey so no 'sweaty rubber glove' effects. The gloves are branded Toolway Industries, this seems to be them online, and the glove in question seems to be the one on the second page labeled "gloves latex knitted insulated black". But I didn't pay $45 for them. maybe $20.

Good Answers: 93

03/04/2009 10:11 PM

I'm a nut about gloves myself.

My hands are all swollen up from the arthritis so much I had to cut my wedding ring off with some wire cutters and a hammer the other day, and have a lot of trouble getting gloves on at all these days.

Anyway if you can find surplus Pilot Gloves, "Nomex"? they are great.

Welder I worked with used to go to a Surplus Store in Siler City NC specifically to get them and gave me a couple of pairs.

Otherwise I just bought a pair of leather work gloves a week for 3 to 5 bucks, and that was the way it was.

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 98

03/04/2009 11:31 PM

Hi JE in Chicago,

Galeton Products says it all

http://www.galeton.com/browsedept.asp?DepartmentID=7

Popular Science - Weaponology - Ancient Weapon Enthusiast United States - US - Statue of Liberty - Viva la Revolucion!

Good Answers: 15

03/05/2009 12:04 AM

Duluth Trading Company (duluthtrading.com) sells some fairly serious gloves... though it's going to depend on how you're using them (I ruined a pair in about 15 minutes one day but I was hand braking a rope with a 150 lb load over a sheave at near free fall speeds for a roughly 20' drop over and over again... nut much will hold up to that, the gloves were still mostly fine, I just stripped all the texture off the palm and couldn't hold onto the rope any more because they got too slick.

I do unreservedly recommend their heavy duty fire hose canvas pants... they're close to $70 a pair but I've got a pair that has lasted me more than 3 years and $20 denim usually dies after 6-12 months of my abuse.

Good luck, I know the pain of finding good gloves.

Good Answers: 3

03/05/2009 12:45 AM

So much depends on what kind of work you do. Brain surgery is different from bricklaying.

(although I know a few "Professionals" that seem to have the latter matter between their ears!) did i just write "latter matter"? must be getting late!

I really like the mechanic gloves - "mechanix" is one brand, but they don't seem to hold up too well.

I know of some millwrights that swear by a Kevlar glove, (Mil Spec) but not sure where to get 'em. if I find out, I'll hit you with a follow up.

In my line of work, my personal test for a good glove is being able to pick a dime off the floor, while still holding up for a week or two.

Tillman makes an awesome glove - the 1490 works great for me.

for heavier work, try the 1525

BUT MAKE SURE YOU BUY MORE THAN ONE PAIR! - as the RH gloves wander, and the LH gloves travel in packs.

over the years, I have discovered the right glove always escapes, usually when I need it the most. ..... and I always end up with a herd of extra left hand gloves which are uncomfortable to wear backwards on the right hand!

- thus the MORE THAN ONE PAIR comment above.

Now, lets talk about Steel-Toe Boots!

Johnny B

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

In reply to #6

Re: Left or Right?

03/05/2009 7:29 AM

Johnny Bravo,

I am left handed and, by dammit, I have the same problem as you except that I have a huge mound of unmatched RIGHT hand gloves, the LEFTs having Left. If this could be explained by science, I would expect to find the strays all over my property, somewhere or other. NOT ONE has ever been found.

Maybe there aught to be a "glove swap" for lefties and righties to make pairs.

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #13

03/05/2009 12:30 PM

What you are referring to is the proof of rogue "black holes" in the universe.

I'm wondering if one of the benefits of Heaven will be the knowledge of the eternal location of all my other right-hand gloves, socks, ballpoint pens, and while we're at it, what black hole just swallowed my 401k?

In reply to #18

03/05/2009 5:35 PM

Honestly, I find myself wondering, if you labeled your socks left and right, would they be the same as gloves, with one or the other 'hand' disappearing exclusively? I'm actually tempted to do this out of curiosity...

It almost certainly seems a quantum mixup of some kind, maybe a specific type of 'entanglement' that specifies if you know where one glove is, then the other must be at the other end of the universe.

In reply to #13

10/17/2010 12:41 PM

Hmm,

@artsmith :

re: :I am left handed and, by dammit, I have the same problem as you except that I have a huge mound of unmatched RIGHT hand gloves,"....

I have a growing pile of decent left-hand leather work gloves. size XL and L (depending on the mfg'er)... I keep working through the right ones- Firewood and concrete work seem to eat gloves. - But you're right, there oughtta be a GLOVE exchange somewhere, sorted by type, size.

-tuning in a little late, maybe.

But I recall Thurlow deerskin driving gloves (sold as abrasion-resistant for falling motorcyclists) as being a bit fancy, but comfortable and "durable".. But for some glove-killer jobs, I put electrical tape on the 3 main wear-points. (3 wraps, twist the middle wrap for grip)..

I really like the Sears option mentioned above.. If it weren't for their mediocre "no-replacement-but-we'll-sell-you-a policy" power tool collection and know-nothing staff, I might shop there.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

10/17/2010 6:42 PM

I would happily wear odd gloves, if I could just get a few lefts.

In reply to #26

10/18/2010 3:07 PM

How about if I can gather 10 lefties, I'll mail them to a PO box or something?

There must be some internationally acceptable way of sending safe items from US to CA.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

03/05/2009 12:50 AM

lok at butcher's gloves

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

03/05/2009 1:24 AM

Now, lets talk about Steel-Toe Boots!

R E D W I N G

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #8

03/05/2009 1:43 AM

I hear danner is a good boot too... i like my Chippewas 11 years, 3 resoles, almost time for new ones - still made in USA

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 158

03/05/2009 3:53 AM

I suppose it depends what you're using them for, but: have you considered going to the other end of the market:-

http://www.hivis.net/c68/Hand-Protection?gclid=CK-0gfqxi5kCFUM-3godJnaynA

and, just regarding them as disposable. In fact these:-

http://www.hivis.net/371/Personal-Protection-Equipment/Kevlar-Gloves/Rock-Kevlar-Glove/

don't look too bad at about $10.

There must be similar sites in the US just search for "rigger gloves".

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 46

03/05/2009 4:20 AM

As mentioned before, so much depends on your application. We get through hundreds of pairs of latex gloves but they are considered disposable. For general handling the leather riggers gloves are good & are cheap enough to be throwaway. For high temp handling you might need nomex or kevlar or silicone. For general mechanical work I use a pair of Mac Tools gloves which have lasted a couple of years so far.

03/05/2009 7:15 AM

Ironclad. Hands down.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

03/05/2009 8:38 AM

I've always had good luck with Wells Lamont White Mule Gloves but these are Farm gloves and you may be too prissy to use em...

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

03/05/2009 9:26 AM

i started a "temp job" a year ago that required gloves and bought a pair of Craftsman Dexterity gloves, after a few weeks a seam split on one of the fingers and i took them back for exchange.

a few weeks later the same seam split and i took them back for exchange, only this time they were on sale so i got two pair.

a few weeks later, same split, exchanged . . .

a few weeks later another split, only this time they're on sale again, two for one.

i am partial to the Sears Craftsman Dexterity series, the seem to last forever . . .

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #15

03/05/2009 3:55 PM

Haaahahaha..that's the best glove anti-recommendation-recommendation that I've seen yet!

I have personally been very happy with both my "general" duty and "heavy-duty" gloves from Ironclad. I found them on sale at Menard's, great deal. They wear better (last longer) than similar ones I've had, are well designed and stitched, and the leather-padded ones I've had for a year now and going great.

Then again, I'm doing general construction and workshop use, not metal-handling and welding.

I found the whole selection at the top of Google here: http://www.palmflex.com/ironclad.htm?
so you can see the pictures...;)

Good Answers: 2

03/05/2009 11:13 AM

Like any other tool, gloves have to be considered in two classes: "forever" or "Kleenex".

Kleins, wrenches, 'drivers - all "forever" quality.

Cordless drill motors (they grow legs) - Kleenex

Work gloves - Kleenex

Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Location: Tri cities, Washington state Republic of the 50 states of America
Good Answers: 35

03/05/2009 6:35 PM

I just had a pair of Snap On Goat Skin Gloves last three weeks of work and still going.

I do a lot of rope and dunnage work, forklifts etc., run electronics and write.

The gloves are thin enough to push small electronic keys and separate copies with but strong enough when I fab up 20 - 100 new ropes and tie, cinch and knot 40 to 200 my hands don't get tore up. For every rope there is a 50lb wooden rack and then there is plastic film and rolls of strapping tape fed out as fast as you can walk.

So so far I'm pleased with the 20 bucks invested. My only improvement I could see is I work where it is cold and the gloves are not insulated but then they would not be so nimble.

Brad

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #21

03/06/2009 12:18 PM

For working in the cold (like putting on tire chains), I bought a couple pair of ladies cotton gloves which I wear underneath leather. It sure helps. I am quite happy with leather gloves which I get at Costco (3 pair to the package) BUT I do not wear them 8 or so hours a day, so I can't really rate them.

Bill

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #21

09/05/2010 8:58 AM

CHITTI SHEIKHAN SIALKOT./PAKISTAN.

TELE/FAX NO. 0092.52.4291310

E.mail info@btleather.com Website www.btleather.com

. BT LEATHER ENTERPRISES.

REMINDER

Dear Sir,

Overview of the company,

We are one of the Leading manufacturers of Working Gloves, Welding Gloves, Driving Gloves, Our Range of items Adhere to the international Quality Standard, we have been supplying quality goods at competitive prices.

Since its establishment in 2000, The company has succeeded in making its presence felt in the LEATHER MARKETS, this is largely due to the superior quality of its

Products and services. The company managed by a team of highly qualified personnel and engineers with over three decades of experience and active involvement in this filed A content Endeavour is mad to improve the quality of the existing products and introduce new technology concepts.

BT LEATHER ENTERPRISES invites you to forward your inquiries/tenders list for its competitive prices. If you like to see our quality especially our main above mentioned products, please do not hesitate to ask us.

Waiting your quick and favorable reply by return, along with your valued inquiries/trial orders.

Thanks and regards.

BILAL AHMAD

DIRECTOR INTL SALES.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 158

03/09/2009 3:12 AM

Just for the record: washing up gloves over the top of woolen gloves are good for playing in the snow.

06/30/2014 12:57 AM

One thing that will help make your gloves more durable is if you spray them with hairspray. It stiffens them up a little and dries the frays or "scuffs" and patches them up a little bit. After spraying a good amount of hairspray, bend the gloves some so they don't get to stiff.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 28 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (6); artsmith (4); bwire (1); hairlesssimian (1); jerryalan (1); johnnybravo (2); ktel60 (1); Nigh (1); OtisHertz (2); purple82 (1); Randall (2); Sandman (2); Sciesis2 (1); The JMAN (1); Transcendian (1); U V (1)

Previous in Forum: Anti-guided MISSILE   Next in Forum: How Should Scientists Address Misconceptions About Science: Stick or Carrot?
You might be interested in: Safety Gloves, Welding Gloves, Super Precision and Spindle Bearings