CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: What is Earthing Transformer   Next in Forum: Winding Details in SMPS Transformers
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

5 comments

How to Check IGBT of ACS 600 of ABB

04/24/2009 8:37 AM

Please tell me how to check IGBT of ABB ACS 600 Drive using Multimeter

and also tell me how to check th Thyristors of the same drive.

Thank You

Kishore kumar

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Associate
Jordan - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 1

Re: How to Check IGBT of ACS 600 of ABB

04/25/2009 4:24 AM

hi sir,

for the IGBT , i couldn't find the datasheet so i will give you the instructions in general :

first of all the test should be out of circuit , so you will have to extract the IGBT from the circuit , if it's a single IGBT will have three poles ; Gate,Collector & Emitter .also in some cases there is a Diode between C & E .

the Gate should be isolated from the other poles , also when you take the measurement between C & E if there's a diode you should have the diode reading, otherwise you will have unstable readings between short & open circuit , so you can trigger the Gate with your finger ( makin sure that the leads of the multimeter which you fix between C & E don't touch your fingers as well ) so you will see the response of the transistor depending on the trigger you make with the finger . for the best results try to compare the readings with a good IGBT . there are 3 cases when the IGBT is not working : if it's short circuit betwee the Gate and the C & E, if the C E are not responding ( open circuit ) or if there's leakage between C & E ( in that case you will need the good IGBT to compare the readings ) .

regarding testing the thyristor ; you should know that the only accurate test can be done with load , so you must take it out of circuit and apply a load depending on the power specifications of the thyristor , in general the thyristor works like a diode when you trigger it , so apply a small power source with a lamp , let's use 12 VDC , so the positive pole will go to the Anode and the ngative to the lamp & the other line of the lamo to the Anode and through a 5KOhm resistoe u can trigger the thyristor from the same power source once and the lamp should be on continuouslt til u break the circuit depending on the holding current and voltage of the thyristor itself , which you can check on the datasheet .

Good luck

Amer

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 592
In reply to #1

04/27/2009 10:02 AM

You get a GA from me for this, but I do have a caution though. Checking a IGBT with a multimeter and using static surface charge of your finger or the high impedance of your hand with the meters leads to polarize the gate will only be useful for identifying a completely dead transistor. Practice and familiarity with a good IGBT in question will certainly be needed to first develop this field test. Relying on this test without practice will likely lead to both false positive and negative results. To accurately measure an IGBT for proper response requires dynamic testing in a known test jig.

Canada - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 39

06/05/2009 7:16 PM

I have a tester intended for in circuit testing of transistors. You connect three leads using three leads ( doesn't matter which goes where) The automated tester then determines which lead is which. Indicates the relative gain and drives the analog meter to bad, marginal or good reading.

Would such a tester give valid readings for IGBT or even just a good / bad indication.

I have a bad inverter (1750 watt) and removal of all 40 devices would likely destroy part of the circuit board.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 592
In reply to #3

06/06/2009 7:21 PM

Probably your transistor checker will not be suitable for checking an IGBT, for it is most likely designed to measure "normal" bi-polar transistors where the base to emitter current modulates the collector to emitter current. In an IGBT it's the gate to emitter voltage that modulates the collector to emitter current and the gate to emitter input impedance is virtually an open circuit. Since your tester is intended for in circuit testing of transistors, I suspect that it relies on the relatively low input impedance of a BJT to permit in circuit testing.

Sorry,

Canada - Member - Specialized in power electronics

Good Answers: 77
In reply to #3

07/15/2012 9:18 PM

Here is one that may work. I don't know if the parallel IGBT arrangement will have an effect.

http://trackertronix.com/contents/Troubleshooting/IGBT_MOSFET_Tester.htm

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

amerlathqani (1); elnav (1); marcot (1); redfred (2)

Previous in Forum: What is Earthing Transformer   Next in Forum: Winding Details in SMPS Transformers

Advertisement