Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Crush-Type Seal for Tapered Pipe Threads?   Next in Forum: Questions and Questioners
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments

Wanted: Simple Reverse Tension Spring Cylinder

05/29/2009 3:46 PM

No, I don't need 200 parts, just 3....help!!!! I have been looking for a simple reverse tension spring cylinder for a little over a week now. I have found several manufacturing company on the net that have the item listed in their products page. They list the item, size and stroke I need, with varing spring pressures. When I call to check on the item I'm told all the units are "custom". But you list it on your products page I say, and all I want is a 50 lb. spring. Your site states you have cylinders from 2# to 300# in that unit I need the same unit you list, with a 50# spring. I need a price on the unit, 3 will be required, and I need a delivery date so I can get the purchase approved. Well, that will be a custom unit, you will have to buy a minimum of 200 units or else we're not interested.

Does anyone know of a company that makes this type equipment that will sell us just 3 pcs?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 28

Re: Wanted: Simple Reverse Tension Spring Cylinder

05/30/2009 1:57 AM

If you have access to a set of Thomas Register books, there are probably twenty pages of manufacturers listed. Start calling until you find one that will work with you.

You have to understand that whenever there is an application for a spring, in most cases, the requirements are specific to the device. Spring manufactures can't stock binsful of all of every variation on spec, only the most common ones. Yes, your style is one of their designs but in order to produce it on demand requires a fair amount of set-up time. Unless you are prepared to pay a high price for a few units, I have found that sometimes a request for "samples" through the marketing department or engineering, who sometimes have the ability to knock out a couple of units, gets the problem solved. I have ALWAYS been up front with them in that the future requirement will probably not be for large quantities, if at all. But at the same time, they are getting a "foot in the door" for your future needs. They know you will consider them first next time. I recall asking and receiving an assortment of special sealing washers for a steering rack drain plug of a car I was restoring. The sales rep at Parker, California plant, was really interested in how it worked out, with the fluid and pressures involved, since they were not designed with that envelope in mind. I made a friend I could call on, and did, for other applications.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a new member!

Good Answers: 77

05/31/2009 8:01 PM

Hello well I reckon,

Are the springs an addition to a machine you have, or for something you are building?

If it is for a machine you have, can you tell me the machine type and name, model etc? Or what you plan to make for which you need the springs please?

bb

In reply to #2

05/31/2009 9:19 PM

The reverse tension cylinder will be used on a training fixture we currently have in use. We have 3 of theses units that were poorly designed and cheaply built. The company that built them has been no help in providing a perment solution to the problem. The reverse tension cylinder will work very well and probably last longer than the fixture will be used, assuming I can locate 3 units to use. If you have ever seen a door closer (like used on storm doors or screen doors found in a typical house), that is what the units I need look like but have a larger rod with a hole for mounting using a bolt thru the rod end, body end mounts the same way. The spring needs to have 45# - 50# of pull, nderstanding the spring will "stack" as the unit is extended to full stroke to a max of about 60#. If a single unit is used the stroke must be 20" - 24", or I can use 2 units together of 15" stroke length. Units I have seen on the net at different product pages of companies that manufacture this type unit meet all the specs and both lengths but we will not purchase 200 units. The training fixtures are used in adult training environment/facility and the budget is very small.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

05/31/2009 9:31 PM

Hello well I reckon,

Can you tell me the name of the original maker? Just so as I can get an exact size etc of the unit you need.

And, just a thought, but you mention door closures. Could it be possible to use one of these to replace the springs you need?

bb

In reply to #4

05/31/2009 10:52 PM

The original units are equipt with a cheap cable unit that works similar to a hose reel. The cable is on a spool that has a spring mechanisum, similar to the recoil starter on a lawnmower. The cable is pulled out of the reel and attached to the bottom of the unit and applies constant pressure in the upward direction (retracting). For the training exercise the trainees push the unit in a downward direction a given number of times, then move to the next exercise. The cable unit is very cheaply built, training unit design is poor allowing the cable to float and rub against the sides of the lower unit and the abrasion causes the cable to break. Redesigning the units or having them build again is out of the question at this point. The reverse tension cylinder will solve the problem, I just need a source for 3 units.

Thanks

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

06/01/2009 6:06 AM

Hello well I reckon,

Can you please tell me the name of the machine?

bb

In reply to #6

06/01/2009 6:56 AM

It's a training fixture, not a machine. It is a custom designed and build.

The reverse tension spring cylinder I need should have a minium 20" of stroke (more stroke is acceptable), with a body diameter of not more than 28mm, and eyelet ends that will allow a 5/16" - 3/8" bolt to pass through for securing the unit to the fixture. Retension pressure needs to be 45-50 lbs.

Thanks

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

06/01/2009 4:39 PM

Hello well i reckon,

I appreciate all the reply info' post, can you tell me what you use the 'training fixture' for please?

bb

06/09/2009 8:35 PM

You might try Clippard they make pneumatic cylinders with spring retract. i have bought single units easily from their distributors

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 56

09/28/2009 8:06 PM

Don't know if the gas springs that lift SUV hatches will work for you, they may go the wrong way. They sure are strong, maybe you could re-arrange things to use them.

In reply to #10

09/28/2009 9:41 PM

Thanks for the info Mike, tried that and it does go the wrong way. I finally found an overseas source for the three units we needed and the problem has been resolved and project is finished.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

babybear (4); Jaguar (1); mike k (1); MIKE L. (1); well_i_reckon (4)

Previous in Forum: Crush-Type Seal for Tapered Pipe Threads?   Next in Forum: Questions and Questioners
You might be interested in: Tension Meters, Traction and Tension Dynamometers, Tensiometers and Surface Tension Meters