CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: BDV of transformer in high voltage   Next in Forum: Is there a test I can do to determine what type of thermocouple I have?
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

3 comments
Participant

Direct Acting Trip Test on ACB

06/14/2009 1:32 PM

How is the Io, Ir & Im setting on the ACB related to each other and the In (nominal rating of the ACB)? I need to do a direct acting trip test on a 800A ACB and the PI test set available can only deliver 500A. What should the Io, Ir & Im setting be so that I can test the direct acting with this PI set. Can someone help me out!

Thank you!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 255

Re: Direct Acting Trip Test on ACB

06/14/2009 3:23 PM

Can you supply a little more information please? Direct acting trip, do you mean manually-initiated remote electrical trip test of the ACB?

Not sure what PI test is either (its not Proportional Integral control), it sounds like a pulse tester but why do you want to pulse test the ACB in the first place? Are you trying to confirm the trip curve characteristics for yourself?

Io, Ir & Im settings, are these on the piece of test equipment you are trying to use? What exactly is the piece of test equipment and what is its purpose (this isn't a standard test maintenance that I am aware).

In reply to #1

06/16/2009 12:53 AM

Direct acting trip is the thermal and magnetic element incorporated in the circuit breaker to trip the breaker in the event of an overcurrent fault.

The Io, Ir, Im settings are part of the Air Circuit Breaker. PI is Primary Current Injection test set used to inject a large current to simulate a fault current. Ir is the thermal trip and Im is the magnetic trip current.

Yes, you are right. Direct Acting trip test is not a standard test. Direct Acting Trip test is usually carried out on an Air Circuit Breaker which uses a shunt trip coil and external protection relay to check that it is functioning.

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 255
In reply to #2

06/16/2009 4:15 PM

If you are trying to test the Air Circuit Breaker's trip characteristic curves (by injecting a set current and seeing if it trips in the required time) you are going to need copies of them for a start. If you don't already have them, get them from either the Air Circuit Breaker manufacturer's web site or off the web. If you don't know what curves your Air Circuit Breaker has, check the manufactures documentation (it should be in there).

How is the Io, Ir & Im setting on the ACB related to each other and the In (nominal rating of the ACB)

As I said above they all add together to create a specific characteristic "trip curve" response (Time VS Current). There are plenty of guides on the internet that explain trip curves, such as the following

http://ecatalog.squared.com/techlib/docdetail.cfm?oid=0900892680055a99

Also try a google search of "trip curve".

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!

Previous in Forum: BDV of transformer in high voltage   Next in Forum: Is there a test I can do to determine what type of thermocouple I have?

Advertisement