Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: regarding pressure   Next in Forum: 1996 Honda - Changing the Gear Oil
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

21 comments
Associate

2000 Ford Focus - Heating System Problems

07/01/2009 7:38 AM

Hello, when I turn on the heat of my FORD FOCUS 2000, I don't feel any heat at all. The antifreeze was changed and tested, all the pipe line were cleaned and the fluid flow is good. Is any body please tell me what is wrong with my heating system. By the way I have no a/c as well (the mecanician said there is a leak of fluo)

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster

Re: FORD FOCUS 2000 Heating Problem

07/01/2009 9:30 AM

What temp does the motor run when fully warmed? This sounds like a thermostat that is stuck open. If the motor runs a little on the cool side, and takes a long time to warm up then I would have the thermostat replaced.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #1

07/01/2009 1:19 PM

The motor is hot enough and the temp meter is pointing as normal

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 111
In reply to #2

07/01/2009 2:17 PM

There has to be a pair of hoses that direct coolant into, and back out of the heater.In almost every car they have been 1/2",5/8" or 3/4". Allow your engine to reach normal operating temperature. Locate the 2 hoses that lead into the passenger compartment of your car. Both of these hoses should be 160*f.

If the hoses are not both hot, look for a heater control valve attached to one of the hoses. The heater control valve will be operated by vacuum, or a cable. Make the valve move to the opposite function, and see if that causes the hoses to get hot.

Once the hoses get hot, you will need to determine if your heater/ air conditioning fan is working.

If the fan is not blowing air at this time, you need to get that working. Check for fuses, blower relays, and fan switches.

If you have air blowing, but not from the correct location, you will need to check the HVAC internal air doors.

If the hoses are still not hot at this point, you will need to allow the car to cool overnight, and disconnect the heater hoses. Use a garden hose to try to force water to flow through the heater hoses till clear water comes out. Now take the radiator cap off, and try to direct the garden hose water into the engine through the heater hose connections. Water should be forced out of the radiator from each heater hose location.

Work slow. Be careful of hot water and the pressures associated with it in the engine. Good luck. Ask questions if you have any. Be very careful.

In reply to #1

07/01/2009 4:34 PM

The mechanician said that he had replace the thermostat and he mentioned that the heating system pack need to be changed, but I have a doubt about his justment. However, I need your opinion on that.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 94
In reply to #4

07/01/2009 11:11 PM

Yes, Bob's test is the one a good mechanic would do. The heaters usually have valves, as he says, and on a 9 year old car the valve might have a broken cable or be stuck.

If you want it warm in winter and off in summer, wire it there, open or closed if the lever on the dash does not operate it. It can cost a lot in labor to fix.

If the hose does not get hot on both sides of fluid flow no matter how the valve is placed, you might have a blocked core, or you can have an airlock. Airlock are commonly caused by someone who removed the hose and replaced it and reversed the intake and out let, preventing normal flow to clear the air lock. See if you can find an online coolant flow diagram, it might reveal this problem. If that fails to solve it do this.

Drain the system and save the antifreeze, let none get on ground = it can kill pets and other small animals. remove the hoses to the heater core and flush with water. They should accept water in one end and it will flow out the other readily. If not = blockage. Bla\ockage could be caused by radiator sealer, or it could have been done by a prior owner to stop water leakage from the core into the passenger area. You might find plugs??

The removal and replacement of the core is quite costly and could exceed the value of an older car. Some makes have a mounting chest for the core that can be accessed from the engine compartment. Others require removal of the dash and air piping and that can cost $500 or more for the labor only, plus a new core.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 139
In reply to #6

07/02/2009 2:52 AM

Assuming the valve functions correctly, then most probably you are right and an airlock is the problem.

May I suggest to the op that he somehow gets the front of the car as high as possible (in siome safe manner!), then remove the cap for the rad or the extra expansion bottle that some cars have and fills up to the middle between max and min, or completely full for a rad cap.

Start the motor and watch for escaping air/dropping of fluid levels....add fluid to correct level again.

If nothing seen, rev engine to try and improve the pumping pressure.....

Usually that will clear an airlock, though some cars have a complicated process that involves removal of one of the heater hoses for a short time, while doing the above.....

If the correct levels of the correct antifreeze have always been maintained, there should be no problems from a 9 year old cooling system.

It was not clear from the OP as whether there was fluid loss or not, could he restate that one way or the other please ?

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - Radiation Oncology Engineering Hobbies - Fishing - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #8

07/02/2009 9:26 AM

Just had this problem in 2003 Nissan Sentra. There was a bleeder hole on the thermostat/hot water distribution housing. Since the housing is not the highest point air was collecting in the housing and creating an air lock in the heating system. Once I bleed the air out by removing the bolt from the bleeder hole the system worked fine.

Good luck

Good Answers: 7

Re: 2000 Ford Focus - Heating System Problems

07/01/2009 11:07 PM

There are several possible causes. Here are some questions you need to answer to identify the cause of the problem. 1) is the heat controlled by a water flow valve, an air flow door or both? Are both operating correctly? You can check the water flow by placing your hand on the inlet hose to the heater core once the engine has reached operating temperature. Checking the air flow door is more difficult but look for the cable that goes from the heater control lever to the door and see whether it moves when you change the heater setting. 2) Are you certain there are no air pockets in the heater?

The coolant leak my indicate a significant problem. Where is the leak located and what caused it?

It would be helpful to obtain a copy of the Ford Shop manual for this car which will have a complete diagram of the heater.

Dennis Waller

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

07/01/2009 11:37 PM

Hi,

How I understand u have change antifreeze on you cooling system I think on you cooing system airs u need take out air fully include evaporator for climate.

Take out for air

1) Turn on your climate control to heating position

2) Start your engine

3) Turn on climate control system for heating red lines

4) Wait for opening engine cooling fan

5) Turn on screw little bit wait for come out water form there nonstop then turn off (you need big flat screwdriver.) and check your heating in your car…

In engine Dep. pipe lines for climate control on right side or left cooling system pipes with small plastic screw The screw is help you take out air form system.

Turn on screw little bit wait for cooling system temperature will be increase because of thermostat opening temperature for different market different temperature 110Cdeg.

3) Easy way go to service station

FYI In your car two different temperature sensors a) CHT Cylinder head temperature ,

b) Engine Coolant Sensor system temperature. If you can`t take air from cooling system

easy to overheat your engine but in your vehicle over heat strategy.

Take care of your self and your car

akeles2@gmail.com

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 37

07/02/2009 4:11 AM

You've got some good advice here but don't forget to check the obvious, I bought a Ford Mondeo a few years back & the price was knocked down because the heater didn't work. After doing the usual checks I found that the heater control knob had split so, when you turned the knob, the shaft was not moving.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 139
In reply to #9

07/02/2009 7:52 AM

Nice one. Had a few bits of luck in that direction myself.....Well found too.....

07/02/2009 6:28 AM

1) Check for temperature door movement, either uses vacuum or a cable.

As far as I can tell that is the only trouble that can effect both AC and Heater temperature problems.

On some vehicles, usually more expensive than a Focus, the temperature is controlled by an electronic panel that is mounted in the dash. Most lower cost vehicles are manually controlled.

Register to Reply

07/02/2009 7:21 AM

I would check your fuses, blower relays, fan switches and your hoses. the three main hoses you would need to check are the 2 running to the interior of the car. There is also one, usually a smaller vacuum hose to activate the switch opening the flow through the other 2 hoses into the cabin. Make sure all 3 hoses are clear of any obstructions. You could also check your condenser coil, if it has too much buildup on it then it will not heat or cool properly. It could also have been pinched somewhere or gotten a hole in it.

Register to Reply
Associate

07/02/2009 7:42 AM

Thanks a lot to all advices. I will try all of them, I strongly beleave that my problem is included in there. Again, a big thank to all

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

07/02/2009 10:22 AM

Go slowly, and you will find your problem.

Have you looked to see if the heater hoses are connected to the heater? A common fix for a leaking heater core is to bypass the heater core. A clue is to look for signs of antifreeze inside the passenger foot-well area.

If the vehicle was owned by someone that drove around with a dog that sheds in the car, it is possible that there is a layer of dust, dirt, hair, and lint blocking the airflow through the heater. That is not common, but once you have been burnt, you don't forget.

Here is a trick for purging air pockets from a cooling system. Allow normal operating temperature. Get an assistant to bring the engine speed up to around 2,000 RPM. use a large adjustable pliers to squeeze the upper radiator hose sufficiently to block coolant flow inside. The water pressure that builds up will force the air pockets back to the suction side of the water pump, qand then into the radiator. 30 seconds of this has always purged air for me.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a new member!

Good Answers: 77

07/02/2009 11:55 AM

Hello PP,

It could be that your electrical connections to the heater fan are down?

bb

In reply to #16

07/02/2009 1:59 PM

I can feel the fan working, except there is no heat.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

07/02/2009 2:38 PM

Good step. Two things are not bad. The fan and related wiring, and not clogged with dust, dirt etc.

In reply to #17

07/02/2009 2:56 PM

Hello PP,

If you say you have had work done on your car, that effects the heater, it could be an 'air-lock'. If you have paid for the work on your car, and they are professional people, they should have checked to see if it worked OK.

I note in another post you mention they said you need ' a new heater package' or something similar? That makes no sense to me. It should have been done at the same time as the other work.

Try running the engine with the water filler off and the air may bubble round and out of the system?

Both pipes leading through the bulkhead to the heater should be hot, that means the same heat as each other!

I know working on the heater is really awkward, and the easiest way may be to remove the front seats or push them back to make enough room to work. But for the mechanic to say you need a new 'heater set' or similar, is outrageous!

I suggest when and if, you get other work done, you should always check to see what work has been done and that it is actually the cause of the problem and, reason you took it to the mechanic in the first place.

So to finish, get the mechanic to sort out the water is flowing round your system properly. It should flow round the system including through the heater pipes. The mechanic has taken your money and not done a good job!

bb

In reply to #19

07/03/2009 1:14 AM

Hello PP,

Just an add on to what has been said already...............

Can you make sure that ALL hose joints to metal joints just before you go through the bulkhead and anywhere around the radiator are secured.

It has happened on a car I had, that where the old rotten rubber hose was removed from a rubber to metal joint, it left residual rubber pieces on the metal and 'chalk' as well, and when the new hose was fitted by myself, I did not clean these before putting the hose on. I subsequently did clean the metal pipes the rubber fitted to, and the rubber then was able to make a perfect seal.

[b[Previously air had been drawn in through the badly fitting hose and it kept causing air locks,

that would sometimes clear, but were still a nuisance.

Just a thought................

bb

In reply to #20

07/06/2009 7:35 AM

All holes were fine and the mechnician had run a water tap through them. It has been a few weeks, the antifreeze level seems to be ok.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 21 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); Anonymous Poster (2); aurizon (1); babybear (3); bob c (3); DennisWaller (1); millerwm2002 (1); Nigh (1); Peter Phamisith (5); rlindey (1); rwilliams80 (1)

Previous in Forum: regarding pressure   Next in Forum: 1996 Honda - Changing the Gear Oil
You might be interested in: Heating Furnaces, Heating Torches and Flame Heaters, Heating Mantles