Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Gaskets for liquid sulfur?   Next in Forum: us eof pneumatic technique
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

6 comments
Active Contributor

Difference between A105 and A105N

07/30/2009 11:11 PM

Guys I need your on this one,I know that A105(normalized) and A105N(non normalized).

But between that what other difference do they have? Which is better harder to sustain higher pressure? Thanks for you help in advance.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 105

Re: Difference between A105 and A105N

07/30/2009 11:52 PM
Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.They put me in cars,they put me in yer tv.They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears.They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member South Africa - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 40

07/30/2009 11:56 PM

My understanding is that A105 as used for pressure containing parts should always be normalised and with maximum C = 0,25% (I am not a metallurgist).

Good Answers: 105

07/31/2009 2:51 AM

ASTM A 105 is "Standard Specification for Carbon Steel Forgings for Piping Components", delivered in the untreated, annealed or normalised condition.

Heat treatment according to ASTM A105 is not mandatory except for Standard Flanges/ special flanges above Class 300 (ANSI B16.5) or of unknown working pressure-temperature rating/ condition.

Heat treatment if required must be specified and may be Annealing, Normalising, Normalising and tempering or Quenching and tempering.

This is the gist (exact wordings and clauses may be checked in the ASTM standard)

Fantastic ideas for a Fantastic World, I make the illogical logical.They put me in cars,they put me in yer tv.They put me in stereos and those little radios you stick in your ears.They even put me in watches, they have teeny gremlins for your watches
Register to Reply
Guru
Brazil - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - Hey there... interested in exchanging information about car performance? Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Porto Alegre - RS - Brazil 30deg01'39.73"S 51deg13'43.45"W
Good Answers: 28

08/03/2009 5:54 PM

The answer provided fills your question. Regarding what is better to sustain high pressure, well, it depends. Material strengh is always a compromise between resistance and toughness. After process high-stresses in the material may lead even to a higher mechanical resistance, but will reduce toughness and material will be prone to cracking or catrastofic failure. Other factors that influence in choice is machinability, weldability, and so on. As always in materials, final answer depends on your application.

Indonesia - Member - Member from Indonesia Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Mechanical Engineer Popular Science - Weaponology - Weapon Fan Safety - Hazmat - Safety First! Hobbies - Automotive Performance - Tuner Wannabe Hobbies - Target Shooting - I'm a good shooter

Good Answers: 3

08/28/2009 3:11 AM

Are you sure that A105 is normalized and A105N is non-normalized material?

As short as i know, the letter "N" indicates "Normalized". I use it in my SA516 Grade 70N (which means the SA 516 Grade 70 is to be normalized).

Please correct me if i am wrong for this case. Thanks.

In reply to #5

10/20/2010 2:55 AM

N stands for Normalised. I am sure about this

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); bhrescobar (1); Premium (1); sb (2); The Prof (1)

Previous in Forum: Gaskets for liquid sulfur?   Next in Forum: us eof pneumatic technique
You might be interested in: Gas Pressure Regulators, Pressure Regulators, Pressure Gauges