Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: The weight and surface area "per meter" of human hair.   Next in Forum: future field
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments
Associate

How Safe is a Mobile Home Fireplace?

08/03/2009 9:47 AM

I bought a used Mobile Home total Elect. but it has a fairly large wood Fireplace. The Home never came with any book or instruction on the fireplace and I would like to know how safe it is to use the fireplace and if it is okay to use wood or the man-made fire logs? It looks like it has been used but I just like to be more safe then sorry?

Don

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 145

Re: HOW SAFE IS A MOBILEHOME FIREPLACE?

08/03/2009 11:06 AM

A lot depends on the age, and construction, of the mobile home, but this would scare the daylights out of me. Older mobile homes used to run about three minutes from first flame to collapse. Newer models have been significantly improved with regard to flammability, but...

I'd ask two people who will really know: your local fire chief; and your homeowners insurance guy.

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #1

08/03/2009 1:14 PM

The State Board of Fire Underwriters has a guy in your neighborhood AKA the electrical inspector. The Fire Chief or the Building Code Enforcement Dept. should be able to give you the heads up there.

You're right about flame spread in the older trailers. Scary!

Good Answers: 487

08/03/2009 12:33 PM

In my parts they wont even insure mobile homes with fireplaces any more. The few companies that do make sure your annual insurance premium costs more than any savings you would ever get from burning wood.

I have a boiler system in my shop and I pump hot water over to my house and just use a heat exchanger I put under the furnace.

My heat bill is under $30 a month and my insurance is dirt cheap!

External fireplaces/boilers are about the only way you will get by with burning solid fuels any more without outrageous insurance rates.

"Posting information on the internet is rather like casting seeds to the wind. Once it leaves your hand you have little chances of getting it back and no control over where it may land or what may sprout from it in the future." tcmtech.
Register to Reply
Associate

Re: How Safe is a Mobile Home Fireplace?

08/03/2009 5:43 PM

The Mobile Home is a 1998 Oakwood.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 98

08/03/2009 11:15 PM

The fireplace inserts installed in this class of dwelling were acceptable for man-made logs and with care hardwood fires also.

Take care and consider an inspection by "Service-Master" they are very useful in this matter.

Good Answers: 17

08/04/2009 5:26 AM

We had them here for years. Some ran on coal . a few on wood. you had to keep the fire going strong or you would run out of steam and the whole train would stop.

Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Latitude 38.701979 Longitude -90.439540 Coordinates 38.701979, -90.439540 N38°42.11874, W090°26.3724
Good Answers: 13

08/04/2009 7:46 AM

My Mobile has a wood burning fireplace. Have the fireplace inspected. Look under Chimney Sweeps. Most qualified sweeps can inspect your fireplace and tell you if there are any safety issues. While your at it have them sweep the chimney.

Which reminds me I need to make this call myself. That or I need the buy the brushes and sweep it myself. Think I'll do it the lazy way and hire someone.

Good Answers: 8

08/04/2009 9:46 AM

Back when I exercised my carpentry skills I installed an airtight wood burning fireplace in a mobile home for some friends. The following year their mobile home burnt to the ground. You can imagine how I felt when the fire chief said it was caused by the fireplace. The woman of the house then said she fell asleep in an arm chair in front of the fireplace, but left the fireplace doors open and a spark popped out and ignited the fabric of the chair. She awoke when her hand got burnt. Fortunately no one else got hurt and fortunately for me it had nothing to do with the installation.

Safety - Hazmat - R&D Engineer/Inventor

Good Answers: 8

08/04/2009 11:15 AM

When I was living in a northern Canadian oil town where 70% of the dwellings were mobile homes and there was an endless supply of timber. Open fireplaces made it difficult to get insurance and were considered unsafe. So we would add a covered porch where we would install air tight wood burning furnaces with insulated chimneys. We would heat the entire mobile home using fans to move the air around. This was very safe and was the only way we could get insurance on the mobile home when using wood to heat. Cleaning the chimney often was needed as when you turn the combustion air down, allot of creosote is created that plugs the chimney that can lead to stack fires.

If you have a stack fire it will sound like a train is on the roof. To put is out you simple close the makeup air completely. You can buy something that looks like a road flare to through into the combustion chamber that would consume the oxygen and put the stack fire out, but I never used them.

08/05/2009 12:53 PM

As long as you follow common sense, check for chimney obstructions,any fuel should be ok. Also your local fireplace store can advise you on local codes

Register to Reply
Participant

06/14/2011 2:38 AM

There are also a few of them which are closed and they can be very safe.

Haard

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bushdriver (1); bwire (1); dnorris (1); masterblaster (1); OpMan (1); scooter47 (1); scotchdrnkr (1); tcmtech (1); Tippycanoe (1); TVP45 (1); vance99 (1)

Previous in Forum: The weight and surface area "per meter" of human hair.   Next in Forum: future field
You might be interested in: Fireplaces, Carpentry and Framing Services, Central Heating Systems