the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

9 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Hydro Turbine Question

12/25/2006 5:42 PM

Hi, can any one tell me more about which type of turbine (pelton, francis etc.) would be most effective when reduced in size-(as small as 15-25mm Dia...), when high speed is required. Are there any companies out there that manufacture small impellors or turbines that I could buy off the shelve? Or can someone supply me with technical information or formula to design such a turbine. Do you think a pnumatic tool (air driven turbine) will be any good in water?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Re: Hydro Turbine Question

12/26/2006 10:52 PM

How about the high-speed air-turbine-driven dental drills.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 95
In reply to #1

12/27/2006 1:01 AM

In reply to #2

12/27/2006 4:22 PM

Thanks for the links. I checked them out (should've thought ..google..) Only thing is that I don't want to genetate electricity and it seems that when you ask about a hydro turbine, all of them is a power generating system. Term "micro turbine" means small compact little power station, and it does not include a 15-25mm turbine... maybe I should search for a nano turbine ...

In reply to #4

12/30/2006 11:11 AM

Hi,

i am alfred, from Indonesia. i am working with turbine services. we have manufacture of micro hydro turbin, for people in vilage, and in the development country. the rate of power up to 300KW. i hope we can discuss about it.

sory for my bad english...

thank you

Alfred

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #1

12/27/2006 3:54 PM

"How about the high-speed air-turbine-driven dental drills." I thought of that , too expencive to get my hands on one and then to break it apart... Will have to ask my dentist if he has any broken ones lying around. Might learn something opening it... allways wondered how it works exactly, but I think that turbine will be too small to actually work for what i intend. thanks for comment anyway..

12/27/2006 5:19 PM

You could try these for an answer

http://www.gilkes.com/home.htm

Register to Reply
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - H316 - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 73

12/28/2006 12:49 AM

I had forgotten about these but it might be worth using a Tesla or boundary layer turbine. Here is a link that has a reasonable description of how they work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_turbine

The advantage of a Tesla turbine is that it doesn't have any blades on the impeller it relies on the boundary layer imparting a force on the impeller. The advantage is that this makes them very robust and relatively easy to manufacture. Be warned however as they are known to produce phenomenal rotational speeds and have been know to self destruct.

Nicholas Tesla was one smart cookie, it was a great shame that he ended up going so loopy. I guess anybody can circum to the frustration of bureaucratic red tape and mismanagement in the end.

In reply to #6

12/28/2006 8:08 PM

Thanks masu.. Very interesting reading material... Will investigate possibilities.

02/02/2007 12:21 PM

Please tell:

• What Pressure Head do you have?
  • What waterflow rate can you arrange ?
  • What RPM do you want--is it to do a power transfer job or to merely get high idle speed?
  • Why do you specify 15to25 mm--size of what?

On getting these replies-we can suggest something.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

alfred(indonesia) (1); Anonymous Poster (1); aurizon (1); HalBee (1); masu (1); Mogg (1); oomsarel (3)

Previous in Forum: designig of gear box   Next in Forum: Repair Manuals
You might be interested in: Hydro Turbines, Steam and Gas Turbines, Turbine Repair and Maintenance Services