Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

22 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: From going to and fro on the peninsula and walking up and down on it
Good Answers: 6

Animal Handler Anti-Bite Gloves

09/30/2009 10:56 AM

Can't seem to google up the type of gloves I need. Having to deal with stray and feral cats. I have had cats bite through heavy leather work gloves. Is there something available that offers a reasonable degree of protection with some semblance of dexterity retained? Meat cutter's, sharkmilker's. fine chain mail, kevlar, sumpin'? I used to own cats but where I live now is so over run with stray/ferals with all kinds of health problems I can't have my own. Let's deal with the issue at hand , local animal care and control dept. now charges $25.00 per visit to pick-up animal, so now it involves getting the cat out of a hav-a-hart trap into a potable fennel for transport. Why not transport in trap you may ask? I'm out a work, it costs $2.50 in fuel per trip. and I have caught up to 4 cats in one day. If anyone has dealt with a hav-a-hart trap you'll know it can be tricky to open the trap door with exposing yourself to the occupants, especially the ferals, who tend to have a spaz attack/hissy fit when approached.I don't want spend a whole lot of money on gloves, ( I'm thinking I can use them if I go back to work this millenium ), but I don't want to get injured. I'm not an uncaring individual, it's not the animals fault for their circumstance, it's the ignorant people who let them roam and breed or dump them off. The cats live a miserable existence ; disease, fights, hit by cars and caught in the fan under the hoods of cars. So, any thoughts on gloves?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 8

Re: Animal Handler Anti-Bite Gloves

09/30/2009 11:19 AM

Man, what a problem...feel for you Bro.....I was thinking of the chain-mail gloves...what does the Animal Control folks use - the old stick & noose? maybe you want one of those? they scratch like a beeyach too - maybe be wearing some coveralls...

Or, you might think on this - getting a Mossberg "security" shotgun...short barrel - good range...that'll nail 'em, and they might just want to pack-up & start living elsewhere after all, cats would do it to you - if they could.....

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 232

09/30/2009 11:56 AM

I don't know where you live but you may want to contact one the many groups that do TNR. This is not a removal effort it is a control. If you remove the animals from the environment others will just move in to replace them. As there has to be some food source to sustain the colony. That is what has attracted them in the first place. This food source could be a large population of small rodents then you will have to deal with those. The cats maybe keeping them in check. TNR(Trap Neuter & Release) operations is a better alternative. These organization will neuter or spay the cat give it all the recommended shots and clean them up. Some of these organization will come and pick them up and return them for release. Which usually improves the health of the colony, cuts down the aggressive behavior and controls the population. Life expectancy of feral cat is 3 to 4 years after TNR about 10 years. You may also look at what is their food source. Some controls may be done on that.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 56 Year Member

09/30/2009 12:00 PM

Yes, I have a home run for you.

Welders Gloves. Several are available with an overall length of about 14", so will go 3/4 of the way to your elbow. Prices start at about $10.00 or so.

Can be had at welding supply stores, also usually available at farm and ranch supply places, and several auto parts stores.

Hope this is useful...

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

In reply to #3

09/30/2009 2:21 PM

I have several pairs here. I tried a pair in handling 8 week old feral kitten. It's teeth went right through the leather. Was lucky in that it wasn't an adult. It's teeth were not long enough to puncture the skin.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 56 Year Member

In reply to #4

09/30/2009 4:01 PM

Man, that was a close one for you. Glad you weren't chopped up.

I had a circumstance similar to OP. Moved into a rural home, and was gifted several little 'guest kitties' as part of the deal. Did similar to TNR technique described... trapped 'em in a Hav-A Hart, took them to the City Animal Shelter on a Tuesday, and a volunteer vet would spay/neuter as appropriate, and I would return them to my house. Doctor would cut a little nock in an ear, so I could tell if any trapped 'guys' had already taken the trip to town. When one was trapped, I needed to remove it, whilst leaving any others to go get 'tutored'. I used the welding gloves I had (together with a towel) with great success... yeah, a stray claw or tooth once in a while, but in general a LOT better than nothing. As I think about it, I had better than average gloves... ya see, as a Doorman, I welded steel frames and doors just about every day, and I like better equipment. That may have made a difference, not sure. I didn't buy 'em to handle kitties, I bought 'em to weld several hours a day.

Well, my experience with welding gloves positive, ozzb experience sounds like bordering between unpleasant and thumbs down. Now not sure what to advise.

Best of luck, packrat561. Your project is noble.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #5

10/01/2009 7:35 AM

I volunteer weekends at a non-kill shelter for dogs and cats. I personally use welder gloves, because I receive them for free from my work and they do a good job. Here is a link from the shelter of the gloves they recommend.

http://www.animal-care.com/gloves.aspx

I hope this helps.

Good Answers: 76

09/30/2009 9:49 PM

I don't have any way of knowing the exact details, but can you do something like use a little metal furnace duct at the end of the live trap to make a "slippery slope" that allows the cats to be directly dumped (err, "relocated") from the live trap into the transportation cage. As long as they can't grip anything with their claws then they shouldn't have much control over their destination. Thus, no gloves needed.

Good Answers: 76

09/30/2009 10:16 PM

Two suggestions, both equally good:

1) Ask Del what Grandpa Cat did when he was a young Tom

2) Ask Mrs. Cat what she does when Del has a little too much cat nip.

09/30/2009 11:08 PM

Ask an oyster shucker.

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - Donald here, Campbell Lighting Co. Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

09/30/2009 11:50 PM

I had the exact problem..

Except it was here on our place..

It started out with a couple cute little Kittens that my irresponsible daughter brought home for the kids.

She would leave them in a bathroom for hours on end, until they literally had a tunnel almost clawed all the way through the floor to freedom.

Then she put em outside, and never kept fresh food and water for them, so they flew the coop, to my VERY responsible daughters house.. She kept them fed, and they lived under her house, and no one could get close.. Then they had more kittens..

Well, you see the problem.. Once during the winter, she would let them into a little storage house, where they promptly shit all over in there, and acted like Devils with sharp teeth whenever anyone went in there.. OMG what a mess they made...

So... me being the responsible Father/Grandfather I am, I decided it was time to move them to the pound, where my tax money could decide a better home for them.

Talk about a JOB... One cat at a time, live trap, and Double lined Linemans Gloves..

I had a Very strong male adult literally try to chew my hand up.. Fortunately his teeth never made it through both gloves, and eventually, after about a month those cats moved into their new homes...

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 98

10/01/2009 1:38 AM

I'd wrap my arms with news papers and grab'em with these... too much catnip makes them goofy stupid... You will find these very interesting: http://tongs.com/p_gear.aspx HexArmor560 Fifth Street NW Suite 402Grand Rapids, MI 49504 (877) 692-7667 Bitebuster Protective Gear

Handling Gloves

Our preferred handling gloves are excellent for handling difficult kittens and feral cats. They are less bulky than the kind of gloves necessary to protect from the crushing bite of a dog so you have much more dexterity for scruffing a small kitten.

Available through: www.animal-care.com
email to request a hard copy catalogue which has hundreds of handy items aces@animal-care.com

Item CWG in small, medium, or large. $68.00
The gloves are lined with bullet-proof Kevlar and have extended sleeves which cover the arm past the elbow.

Animal handling gloves

this video is a corker

http://www.candidbreak.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itmeid=1&video_id=1111

Good Answers: 15

10/01/2009 2:47 AM

Give this a try:

http://www.neptunic.com/sharksuits_gloves.htm

Just a suggestion, no idea what they cost, but I figure if they can resist a shark they can resist a cat.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23

10/01/2009 2:58 AM

Where the hell is Del-Cat?. Why is quiet? Speak up man.

10/01/2009 9:27 AM

Try turtleskin glooves. I have a pair, they work but are not cheap. I think I paid about $70.

http://www.turtleskin.com/

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 144

10/01/2009 10:21 AM

Ummmm, why not bait the Have A Heart trap with something containing a Vet-approved tranquilizing drug? When the little rascals are properly doped-up or sleeping, then it's time to remove them with the stick and nose thingy while you're wearing the welders gloves.

I wouldn't recommend wearing gloves made with Kevlar, even the finely woven ones that the NASCAR pitcrews wear. I have a pair of them, and they do work fine for protecting your hands against accidental brushup with a hot exhaust pipe or whatever, or for protection against something like a razor sharp sheetmetal edge, but they'll not provide the same sort of protection against sharp pointy objects (like cat teeth) that can penetrate between the weaves. Kevlar is great for resisting bullets (if there's enough layers incorporated in a "bullet-proof" (a misnomer actually) vest, but said vest will not stop someone from stabbing you....it'll slice right on through and do the damge nonetheless!

Added my 2 Cents to the pot.....

In reply to #15

10/01/2009 10:33 AM

I like it! GA for ya on that.

I am calling my vet today, looking for a calming dose for both cat and dog... they need nails trimmed desperately, and are resisting my every attempt do. Great idea, I think.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 144

10/01/2009 11:14 AM

Bite the feral cats back!!! That'll teach them!!!! LOL

Good Answers: 58

10/01/2009 1:08 PM

You just need to know the right key words & tricky phrases. Cut-resistant gloves may work for you, but you're probably better off with puncture resistant gloves, even though they're more expensive. Both have metal stranding or small, overlapping plates woven into the fabric to prevent penetration.

10/02/2009 4:30 PM

How about Kevlar gloves?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

01/03/2010 1:52 PM
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: From going to and fro on the peninsula and walking up and down on it
Good Answers: 6

01/03/2010 3:52 PM

Thanks guest, checked out both sites, looks promising.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (5); bakerjohn (1); BruceFlorida (2); bwire (1); Campbell Lighting (1); CaptMoosie (2); CUTiger (1); Doorman (3); Mitsurati (1); ozzb (2); packrat561 (1); pwr2thepeople (1); suresh sharma (1)

Previous in Forum: queries   Next in Forum: Magniworks

Advertisement