CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Getting a Product to Market   Next in Forum: U.S. Suppliers of Plated Copper Blades for Wall Plugs
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

13 comments
Anonymous Poster

How to Calculate Thread Depth

11/18/2009 12:19 AM

what is the formula for calculating threading deep?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Anonymous Poster

Re: Thread

11/18/2009 3:57 AM

which thread? which depth?

Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Anonymous Poster

11/18/2009 7:15 AM

What a dumb question !

Guru

Good Answers: 145

11/18/2009 7:16 AM

I always just go all the way to the bottom.

Seriously, if you're using a 60° tool, just go to 0.65 x the pitch. That's roughly one-tenth the pitch past the minor diameter surface.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #3

11/18/2009 12:50 PM

Do you mean how deep should your threads be to prevent stripping?

2 1/2 x the diameter is the ultra safe depth, but some say 1 1/2 times is enough

Re: How to Calculate Thread Depth

11/18/2009 10:45 PM

It all depends on the material (its mechanical properties), the bolt pre-stress Vs the thread strip strength.

Guru

Good Answers: 30

11/19/2009 1:31 AM

GA from me too Lab.

But as this 1.5 or 2.5 decision is based in a feeling for the materials, allow me to add;

To work out the 'holding strength' exactly you need the tensile strength of the threads root diameter (root area x tensile of the screws material) compared to the effective area of the thread engaged in the base material times that materials compressive strength.

The effective area of the thread is roughly 80% of thread OD less root dia.

When you divide this thread effective area into the area the material said you need to equal the screws root strength, you get how many threads are required.

That number of threads required times the pitch gives the depth required.

IF the question means "how do you decide the tapping hole diameter" this varies with the thread system - so look it up in a book or chart.

If you are asking this about a metric series thread - subtract the thread pitch from the screw OD. In theory the tapping hole is 95%, but in practice a screw thread is under-size and drill will drill sufficiently oversize to just use the 100% number.

You can do the same 'simple subtraction' with Imperial 60° threads by first converting OD and pitch to metric.

11/19/2009 11:54 AM
Active Contributor

11/19/2009 2:13 PM

Is it a metric or imperial thread? If it's metric you take the pitch away from the diameter

Example If you want to calculate an M20 x2 thread ,the core sive is 20-2= 18 mm.

Hope this helped THis works for all 60 degree threads

Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1116

11/20/2009 9:59 AM

Seems as though that I remember that regardless of thread diameter, three fully engaged threads is all that is required, if the materials are the same.

Don't remember where I got such a notion, but it's there stuck in my brain.

Cheers!

In reply to #9

11/20/2009 11:28 AM

It is not that only three threads are sufficient, the load on the threads are maximum in this zone. Then it tapers off. However if there are only 3 threads engaged, the load on these three will cross the yield limit and make them fail.

Guru

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #9

11/20/2009 9:52 PM

Hi Lyn, from buttress and square perhaps (lead screws and clamps)?
It depends on the thread system's depth to root diameter ratio.
But 3 would not do for the usual 'coarse'; Whitworth, UNC, Metric (C), ANC and definitely not the 'fine' series BA, UNF, BSF Metric fine or Bicycle, Microscope, to illustrate the range of thread depth to root ratios out there.

12/05/2009 4:11 AM

I think your other guest has the wrong end of the stick, although what he says is true. From a toolmakers point of view, there is a difference between thread depth and thread engagment. With regards to engagment, our rule of thumb on "v" threads is min twice thread OD, more if space allows. on tools that are regulary stripped for servicing this is important as your threads will hold up longer. There is plenty of litreature with regards to thread depth, ie half the difference between theoratical OD an ID. Check the specific standards for your thread. Take note of what effects Root and Crown rads make, as well as the type of fit required, also wether you are imachining iternal or external threads. When things become nasty, for example cutting very large threads or gringing thread gauges, thread depth is measured over rolers or wires that engage the thread flanks as this gives a true reflection of where you stand geometricaly with your threading. hope this helps.

Participant

05/22/2011 8:19 PM

Simple answer, for Unified threads, is 0.6134 x pitch. Pitch being 1/threads-per-inch.

Reply to Forum Thread 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (6); Kyzine (2); Labyguy (1); lyn (1); MARKB (1); Southtown (1); TVP45 (1)

Previous in Forum: Getting a Product to Market   Next in Forum: U.S. Suppliers of Plated Copper Blades for Wall Plugs
You might be interested in: Threading Dies, Threading Tools, Thread Gages

Advertisement