Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: 1983 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo - Electrical Issues   Next in Forum: convert petrol engine to LP gas
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments
Associate

199 Ford F250 - Steering Play and Shuddering

01/08/2010 4:01 PM

I have a 99 F250 Super Duty 4x4 with 115K mikes. While driving the front end feels sloppy with a delay feel when the wheel is turned and it wanders whild driving straight down the highway. Also, when brakes are applied there is a noticable shuddering feel with light to moderate pressure. Heavy braking does not produce shuddering feel.

The rotors are new. New ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings and the trailing arm bushings were replaced at 105K miles. The wheels are torqued properly and new Michelin tires are less than 3000 miles. Stock tires and Yokohama Geolandar tires made no difference. Air pressure at tire manufacturers recommendations. New brakes and calipers.

I think the steering box is going out but the Ford shop doesn't think so. I can turn the wheel about a 1/4 turn before the tires make a move. Any help out there is appreciated.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 76

Re: 199 Ford F250 - Steering Play and Shuddering

01/08/2010 5:06 PM

Check and see if the idler arm bolts are lose. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idler_arm

I had a Ford Galaxy 500 once that had 1 bolt missing, and the other only 10 threads left, that had the same symptoms. Lucky I found it in time.

Brazil - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - Hey there... interested in exchanging information about car performance? Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Porto Alegre - RS - Brazil 30deg01'39.73"S 51deg13'43.45"W
Good Answers: 28

01/08/2010 6:02 PM

Any excessive play in the assembly could be checked if you have the opportunity to take a look at your truck on a lifter and having someone to move your steering wheel as you mentioned - within the 1/4 turn without wheels movement. I'm pretty sure it will show up, being a worn linkage, loose bolt, or whatever. Look all the way from the joints in the wheels to the steering box and the steering column that may also have a worn universal joint. Happens sometimes. I'm just a little surprised that a Ford shop was unable to locate the problem...

Good Answers: 490

01/08/2010 11:57 PM

I have a 1999 Ford F-250 super duty that has a slight shutter at times now because the steering stabiliser shock absorber is wearing out. Those are very important on the bigger 4WD pickups. Have someone turn the steering back and forth just in the loose range and have a good look at everything in the steering system and the suspension. Also look to see if you have a loose wheel hub assembly or bad suspension bushings. The F-250's are rather fussy about how loose any of that stuff can be before it starts to just feel wrong. 115 K miles is about where the previous owner of my pickup had to do a major suspension and steering bushing and joint overhaul for similar reasons.

Did you personally replace the brake rotors or did a shop do it? If a shop did it they may have just charged you for new rotors even though they may have done nothing but put in new pads.

A few years ago I looked at a pickup that a local business had checked over by the local Ford dealership for a similar problem. The dealership gave it a clean bill of health and said all components are with in spec. I looked at it shortly afterwards when I found out the company was selling it. I had a friend who worked there turn the steering wheel while I was under the front. The frame was almost completely broken off where the steering box was mounted! Then company sent it to the local car auction where my buddy then out bid me for it after he now knew what was actually wrong with it.

"Posting information on the internet is rather like casting seeds to the wind. Once it leaves your hand you have little chances of getting it back and no control over where it may land or what may sprout from it in the future." tcmtech.
Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 98

01/09/2010 12:07 AM

Examine the pitman arm ,drag link assy and don't overlook the camber.

01/09/2010 12:59 AM

I had a Jeep truck that did this then I added a new stabalizer shock on the steering linkage and it cured the problem,. l Hope this helps.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 158

01/09/2010 7:48 AM

Have it put up on a hoist with someone in it, get them to move the steering a tad more than the slop and you should be able to see where the slop is. If its the steering box, get Ford to adjust the play out of it, or replace the box if too worn....

Adjusting them is only simple IF you know exactly how....be warned!!

01/09/2010 9:33 PM

your f250 may suffer from a very common problem of front axle u joint failure or the new ball joints are too tight . many times tight components give the driver the feeling of loose steering because of the constant fighting of the binding as in seized u joints.which can also cuase shuddering

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #7

01/11/2010 3:47 PM

Thanks everyone.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #8

09/20/2010 11:50 PM

Now it's my turn? My 2006 F250 4x4 started doing the shudder-thing when braking. I replaced ball joints (worn), steering rod, pistons on the caliper, skimmed the rear drums, new linings. The shudder is still there. I'm sure that it is on the rear wheels because even though the shudder is less, its also there while applying the handbrake at speed. A local mechanic suggested the ABS system to be faulty. Any ideas?

08/03/2012 5:40 PM

Thank god for the internet. i have a 99 F250 Superduty and I haul long trailer's. My steering was all over the place, as you know hauling trailer's you try to correct smoothly, well it was not possible. I did what this said (and followed the later thread and backed it out a bit) and it worked, turns perfect. I don;t know about where y'all live but if you go to a Ford dealer around here it is $1,000 bucks or a new truck. Thanks for the advise...

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #10

08/03/2012 6:01 PM

Bili, it sure is a happy feeling when you come right. I sorted the problem out on my F250 - so long ago I can't remember how. At the moment it's on blocks again. Ball joints worn again. Don't think the replacement parts is as good as the originals....I'm in South Africa and at the ZAR/$ rate it is one hell-of-a-expensive venture so, she will spend some time on the blocks. Still very much in love though.Took her for a spin a while ago. www.xweg.co.za should show you her travels.

See ya!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); Anonymous Poster (2); bhrescobar (1); Bilikanokis (1); bwire (1); Kilowatt0 (1); Leo3333 (1); tcmtech (1); Xboers (2)

Previous in Forum: 1983 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo - Electrical Issues   Next in Forum: convert petrol engine to LP gas
You might be interested in: Pneumatic Brakes, Electric Brakes, Linear Brakes