Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: self development classes   Next in Forum: Pressure Test on Cryogenic Vessels
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

2 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

Capacitor for Philco/Ford Air Conditioner

01/19/2010 12:18 PM

I have an old philco/ford air conditioner Model AC505 8,000 btu that needs a dual capacitor. Compressor is fine but fan needs a boost by hand. one side of cap is rusted and starting to leak, markings are gone. It's one of the old quart size caps.

Most fan caps are 5uf but i don't know what the compressor value is. Can anybody help? Also, Can i just put a 5uf cap in for the fan only and leave the other side alone?

Thanks in advance!

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: air cond
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

Re: Capacitor for Philco/Ford Air Conditioner

01/20/2010 9:23 AM

No other responders so far, so my two cents:

I've replaced a couple over the years. Some odd value seems to be stuck in my head, like 6.3 uF. I don't think the value is critical. The unit sounds like a 120VAC window unit, but in any event let the line voltage be your guide as to the voltage rating of the new capacitor.

Yes, you could leave the compressor side as is and just replace the one in question with a single cap. It probably used slip-on connectors. Easy.

Good luck!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: Capacitor for Philco/Ford Air Conditioner

01/22/2010 8:05 PM

If the cap replacement does not fix it, it may be the sleeve bearings in the fan motor.I have seen these cause the same problem(no start without manual help).They will not be noisey, like a ball bearing, but they let the rotor get off-center enough to affect starting torque.Once running, the G force will keep it centered.Best remedy in this case are new end bells for the motor.Very difficult to simply replace the sleeve bearings.Alignment problems because of close tolerances between rotor and stator.Can be done, but requires much patience and time.

If this is the case, and end bells are not available, universal fan motors are available.Some may require cutting of shaft to proper length, but usually work as good or better than original.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 2 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: self development classes   Next in Forum: Pressure Test on Cryogenic Vessels
You might be interested in: Signal Conditioner Chips, Caps, Grips and Closures, Electrical Connector Caps, Inserts and Covers