CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Testing Specifications   Next in Forum: Generator Coiling / Winding
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

2 comments
Associate

KW vs. KVA

01/27/2010 12:26 AM

sir,

i want to know the diffrence between KW and KVA.please tell me

thank you

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster

Re: question

01/27/2010 12:36 AM

KW= VICosΦ /1000 = V.I (Dot Product)

KVA = VI = arithmatic product.

KW = Active power ie tha actual power that can be converted to work done.

KVA = apparant power = Includes Active power and reactive power (ie the power that gets exchanged between different components within the system but does not go out of the system)

It is like a spring and fly wheel (or any other system inertia) connected to a load.

The spring and flywheel keep on exchanging power between them - but that toes not affect the load. What gets the work done is what the system (spring, flywheel etc) transmits to the load (W).

However the power flowing within the links (within the system) include the power exchange taking place between the spring and flywheel too, so these are designed to carry that extra power. Somehow you make this exchange zero (though not always possible or practical or wanted- sometimes you deliberately introduce these energy storing equipments) , and you have only the power required by load flowing through the system, no more no less, and that makes design less costly.

This is as simple as I can make it.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 2 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!

Previous in Forum: Testing Specifications   Next in Forum: Generator Coiling / Winding
You might be interested in: KVA Meters, Power Frequency Converters, GPIB Converters

Advertisement